Addison's

Hi All

Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was diagnosed with Addison's last year and was initially on Florinef twice daily and Prednisone once daily, they've since changed it to Florinef twice daily with Cortate once daily (Prednisone I was told has a residual effect and Cortate works better with Florinef)

The cost of these two medications are $125.00 and last 50 days and I was reading a very old thread on here where people were paying a lot less than that so I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me to reduce our expenses

Bella is eight years old and all going well we are hoping she has quite a few more years of healthy living and if her medication remains the same or increases the costs will be quite substantial

Any input would be appreciated thanks

Ask your vet if percorten inj is suitable/if it will be cheaper for you - often find this is cheaper for owners with the injection given every 28 days and only a small amount of pred needed. The vet can write you a script for the meds but it may or may not end up cheaper (as it won't be on the PBS) and most clinics charge for scripts too. Sometimes buying a larger amount can help save on dispensing fees to. Speak to your vet they may have suggestions for you! Each clinic also prices their meds differently (and consults too) so you could also try and find a further out and generally cheaper clinic.

speak to your vet about the options - they may be willing to write scripts, or dispense a larger quantity to reduce the dispensing fee for you. As Karly101 mentioned, Percorten injections may be appropriate for your pet too.