Bad Reaction To Anti-Inflammatory

My Maltese was recently prescribed Previcox for his arthritis.

It did help a little but unbeknown to me, my poor dog was having a terrible reaction to the Meds.

His mouth and throat were covered in Ulcers.

Blood tests were done to eliminate other causes, the Vet put him on Antibiotics, but it is a very slow recovery, should he be on some sort of antihistamine?

Has anyone else heard of this reaction, I am praying his stomach is not ulcerated as well as this could be fatal

Am feeling very anxious and worried for my best friend

Edited by Onlinemissy

I read somewhere that this drug is very difficult to dose precisely for dogs with less than 6 kg and is therefore not recommended for smaller dogs due to the risk of overdosing.

ETA:...quotes from https://www.vetdepot.com/product-labels/previcox-chewable-tablets.pdf 'For oral use in dogs only. Use of this product at doses above the recommended 2.27 mg/lb (5.0 mg/kg) in puppies less than seven months of age has been associated with serious adverse reactions, including death (see Animal Safety). Due to tablet sizes and scoring, dogs weighing less than 12.5 lb (5.7 kg) cannot be accurately dosed.'

and

...'Precautions: This product cannot be dosed accurately in dogs less than 12.5 pounds in body weight.'

Edited by Willem

This sucks, but it sounds like your vet is taking it seriously and doing everything right. Antihistamines are not all that helpful and I imagine that your vet is trying to minimise the number of medications your dog is on since all meds have side effects.

Best of luck for your little man. Please let us know how he progresses.

Thank you all for your replies.

Just wondering has anyone tried organic turmeric on their pets

I have been madly researching for something more natural for his joint problems

I look forward to hearing from you

If you want to use turmeric you need to make 'Golden Paste'. Turmeric needs additional foods with it to be absorbed effectively. From memory pepper and oil.

I wouldn't rely to heavily on what you read online about Turmeric. For all means, try it, but if the dog is in pain it needs proper pain relief.

Arthritis is horrible and can be very painful for the dog. So many people seem to accept it as a normal part of aging and ignore it. Older dogs need quality of life, not quantity. My oldies with bad arthritis were on cartrophen injections, rimadyl and glucosamine. Anything to keep them comfortable.

Turmeric is good and it has it's place - I use it for both my dog and I - but I accept that there will come a time when it wont be enough on it's own.

Jumabaar has made some good suggestions, as have others here.

What has your vet recommended for your dog once she's recovered from the ulcers?