Disaster Plans For Your Dog

Scottsmum

If you don't have your dogs on something that kills fleas, consider having something in your kit.

One time I had to evacuate and camp with the dogs, and they all got fleas (for the first time ever). It was several itchy days before I could get hold of stuff to treat them.

I guess I was lucky they didn't get ticks - that would have also been a possibility.

I think it's worth considering what would happen if you were stranded away from your home and pets. This happened to me during the June 2007 storms.

I now ensure my pets have access to at least three days worth of water in an unspillable container, and I feed the dogs before we go out. I keep an eye on the BOM website and, whenever possible, either my husband or I stays at home if a weather watch is declared.

Also consider whether your pet is at risk from flash-flooding. Several of my friends lost pocket pets during those storms, and another friend's dog was saved by a neighbour who pulled it over the fence. If it had been crated or caged, it would have died.

I think it's worth considering what would happen if you were stranded away from your home and pets. This happened to me during the June 2007 storms.

I now ensure my pets have access to at least three days worth of water in an unspillable container, and I feed the dogs before we go out. I keep an eye on the BOM website and, whenever possible, either my husband or I stays at home if a weather watch is declared.

Also consider whether your pet is at risk from flash-flooding. Several of my friends lost pocket pets during those storms, and another friend's dog was saved by a neighbour who pulled it over the fence. If it had been crated or caged, it would have died.

My nephew and his partner were in the Bundaberg floods a couple of years back. They only had to evac towards the end and packed up their ute with all their camping gear and their cats and dogs and headed to the high school because they were told no evac centre would take pets. Unfortunately they got trapped there with several other families and their pets and those other people were not very organised so they had to share all their supplies with them. Even worse, peoples pets were just roaming the streets for several days without clean drinkable water or food until rescue workers came back into the area. It really was traumatic for them even though they tried to prepare as best they could.