Crate For Puppy

swain

I took 3 months off work when I got my puppy so he could work up to me going to work. The first four weeks were basically puppy time, working to his needs re toilet etc he couldn't last the night, so midnight toileting in winter..... I went out for an hour or two during the day and would put him in the bathroom as I didn't trust the cocker I'd just rehomed from work and puppy was super tiny at 2.5kg.

A month on I was painting the inside of my place so the dogs were in the back yard for up to four hrs a day while I painted. That was a great transition. The final month I went out for longer preparing for when I went back to work for 8 hrs. By the time I went to work they were both settled and pup big enough to get away from the other dog if needed. They go to park and a walk for an hr before work, then get a bone to amuse them while I'm out.

I got the second dog so the pup had a guiding paw while I'm not here. She's been a godsend and pup thinks the world of her.

I've got a dog door so they can escape the weather and have a fan on during the heat.

Edited by karen15

Thanks we are very excited! Maybe a pup pen outside on grass would work. Will start another thread about that i think ☺

If the pup is allowed inside, I'd recommend a dog door.

:thumbsup:

Pup will be inside. Have a dog door for my other 2 so hopefully he will learn to use that no worries

I took 3 months off work when I got my puppy so he could work up to me going to work. The first four weeks were basically puppy time, working to his needs re toilet etc he couldn't last the night, so midnight toileting in winter..... I went out for an hour or two during the day and would put him in the bathroom as I didn't trust the cocker I'd just rehomed from work and puppy was super tiny at 2.5kg.

A month on I was painting the inside of my place so the dogs were in the back yard for up to four hrs a day while I painted. That was a great transition. The final month I went out for longer preparing for when I went back to work for 8 hrs. By the time I went to work they were both settled and pup big enough to get away from the other dog if needed. They go to park and a walk for an hr before work, then get a bone to amuse them while I'm out.

I got the second dog so the pup had a guiding paw while I'm not here. She's been a godsend and pup thinks the world of her.

I've got a dog door so they can escape the weather and have a fan on during the heat.

Wow! 3 months off. Won't be able to wangle that but will have to sort something. Hopefully once older dogs are used to him he will learn from them and be happy coming in and out. I don't live far from work so can pop in a bit. Thanks for your experience :)

Thanks we are very excited! Maybe a pup pen outside on grass would work. Will start another thread about that i think ☺

If the pup is allowed inside, I'd recommend a dog door.

:thumbsup:

Pup will be inside. Have a dog door for my other 2 so hopefully he will learn to use that no worries

My pup nailed the dog door on his second day here. :)

My puppy was penned for a standard work day until she was 6 months. She was a summer puppy so there is no way I wanted her outside in the elements. I set up some artificial turf in in her pen so she had access to that while I was at work. The pen was set up in a slated area of the house. When I was home the turf square was removed from her pen and she was supervised as you would when you house train a puppy otherwise. I wouldn't say she was any harder to toilet train and eventually it reached the point where she wouldn't use the grass unless she really needed to. I had a similar set up when she was in season at 8.5 months so she had run of an area of the house with some artificial grass placed out on the upstairs balcony and no issues with inappropriate toileting after her season.

My puppy was penned for a standard work day until she was 6 months. She was a summer puppy so there is no way I wanted her outside in the elements. I set up some artificial turf in in her pen so she had access to that while I was at work. The pen was set up in a slated area of the house. When I was home the turf square was removed from her pen and she was supervised as you would when you house train a puppy otherwise. I wouldn't say she was any harder to toilet train and eventually it reached the point where she wouldn't use the grass unless she really needed to. I had a similar set up when she was in season at 8.5 months so she had run of an area of the house with some artificial grass placed out on the upstairs balcony and no issues with inappropriate toileting after her season.

That is a really good set up ness. That would work well. Can you hose the turf down after it's been used? Does the urine leak through. I have hard flooring so easy enough to keep clean

I had 4 bits of turf which I did hose down, disinfect and exchange daily. I had a combination of puppy pee pads and actually those padded drain dish mats (they were like 2 for $4 or something at a cheap store) underneath the turf. Worked fine for me and I washed the mats daily to. Stopped anything leaking much onto the slate. I also disinfected the area daily.

I had 4 bits of turf which I did hose down, disinfect and exchange daily. I had a combination of puppy pee pads and actually those padded drain dish mats (they were like 2 for $4 or something at a cheap store) underneath the turf. Worked fine for me and I washed the mats daily to. Stopped anything leaking much onto the slate. I also disinfected the area daily.

Great! Thanks ness!