Training Treats

kami

I have begun delving further into the world of making my own dog training treats and frozen ice stock blocks to save money. So far, I have found chicken is economical (on special for $3 dollars a kilo for a whole chicken, or $4 a kilo for drumsticks. I usually buy in 2kg lots, then boil, using the stock (unseasoned) in big ice blocks as treats for the dogs on hot days, and stripping the chicken for general training treats. I have also experimented with oven baking chicken hearts as training treats, and will try liver when it is next on special. However, I have found lately I have been getting stalked by wasps at dog training while using the boiled chicken, which is also messy. The chicken hearts are easy to make, baking at 180 degrees until firm to cut - and so far appear wasp proof. Heart and boiled chicken are kept in the freezer until required.

Any other good value meats people have found work well for baking/dehydrating for training meats or making stocks from ? I am a little reluctant to try other offals initially until we switch to a wormer that covers for hyatid disease, but am interested in the future. It seems way cheaper for me to make my own treats at home than buy them from the pet shop.

Interested in what people find works for them that is not made commercially.

Ice blocks

Don't have to be stock.

I use lots of combos here - but I have to say Tuna is a firm NO - he's not at all fond of it - which is a shame for him as there's still 2 or 3 in the freezer. Ha ha ha.

I tend to use what ever is going - today I did two with the offcuts from steak, I have done canned tuna and "juice" and what ever other meat scraps I have. If we don't have meat scraps I use kibble.

I've found if you put kibble and ziwipeak (or i assume any other jerky type treat) the ziwi/jerky sinks while the kibble floats - meaning there is stuff at the top and bottom.

Scottie is a smaller dog - so he much prefers anything around the 200-300 ml mark - he can pick it up and carry it around. He's not so sure of anything bigger.

I was trying his treat ball filled with kibble frozen into a block of water - but he didn't really "get it" - so stopped as it was a waste of kibble

Treats

roasted chicken thigh - once diced pressed gently with some kitcen towel to help remove some moisture - holds it's shape better than any other cooked chicken I've tried - was given the tip by our old obedience instructor.

I've also used lightly fried beef strips - but anything on sale from the meat cabinet will do.

I also know you said not commercial - but a bag of ziwipeak - which appearing expensive - works out at a good price and goes a long way/ It's my preferred training treat - it's non-messy, has a shelf life and is grain free.

Thanks Scottsmum those are some excellent tips. The roast chicken thighs I will definitely try as the boiled chicken tends to fall apart in the hand. Drying it might also make it less greasy, which would be great!

Tuna I will definitely try - will make a nice quick iceblock with kibble. Luckily my two love fish! I have been a little worried all the fat from the chicken in the stock would be bad for the dogs if given too often (they get it every second day, to day *sheepish grin*), so this will be great for them.

I have heard nothing but good things about ziwipeak, so depending how we go with budgeting we will give it a go in the future. Everyone at training rates it very highly. Our guys have meals for mutts for kibble which has worked wonders for our allergic dog, and they both have lovely glossy coats.

Thanks again for your pointers! :)

I've dehydrated treats for many years and love it. I don't dehydrate until there's no moisture left but so the meat is still bendy. I keep it in the fridge but it lasts for weeks until used. I then chop it in to tiny pieces (small dogs) with secateurs and both dogs love them.

I've used pretty much any meat you can buy from chicken, silverside, duck, rabbit, rump, mince, Turkey etc. Silverside is probably one of the most cost effective and different minces work best squished flat. Liver is another cost effective one but stinks while dehydrating! I just run the dehydrator outside under my verandah now.

20150325_174421_zpsjslvlrls.jpg

20150326_060249_zpsujqnhg4l.jpg

Edited by Roova

Thanks Roova! I'll definitely try silverside! Finding an economical beef cut is a challenge, so that is a fantastic idea. Budget mince also sounds a winner. I will try and think outside the box and also consider turkey.

duck ect.

Very impressive dehydrator btw! That looks amazing. Lucky dogs you have Roova :)

I have heard nothing but good things about ziwipeak, so depending how we go with budgeting we will give it a go in the future. Everyone at training rates it very highly. Our guys have meals for mutts for kibble which has worked wonders for our allergic dog, and they both have lovely glossy coats.

Thanks again for your pointers! :)

I just buy the "kibble" version - not their treats. Last time I priced it I figured it actually cost about the same per kilo as smackos - not that I can use it - we're grain free.