Shih Tzu Vet Recommendation

jfletcher

Hi everyone,

I have two Shih Tzus, that are nearly a year old. Hercules was the runt of the litter and had a cleft palate issue, he had his first surgery three weeks ago where they did work on the soft and hard palate, thinking all was good.

After some serious sneezing and congestion, today's vet visit has confirmed that the palate didn't completely close up and still has some airways where mucus is getting stuck. They are suggesting surgery again, this time using a mesh to help close the palate that is custom made for his made or Hercules staying on medication for the rest of his life to thin out the mucus.

I don't know if I believe this to be the best option and am thinking of getting a second opinion, I am basically looking for a recommendation for a good vet that is familiar with the breed and cleft issues, any suggestions?

Thanks, Janine

post-53673-0-83386300-1457573766_thumb.jpg

See if you can get to Dr Eugene Buffa. He has done a couple of beautifully successful surgeries for us, the last one being a bone tumour of the hard palate. Brilliant surgeon. :thumbsup:

edit

to be specific it was around the teeth and gums, and moving inwards to the palate by invading the bone image link

He got every single bit :)

Edited by Powerlegs

• 2 weeks later...