Toothpaste/gels

I was wondering if anyone has seen better results with brushing with one particular toothpaste or gel over another?

I'm running out of Dentipet toothpaste and am wondering whether to get that again or switch to Mavlab Dental Spray Gel which I've used in the past.

Dentipet: dog finds it very tasty so greater acceptance, and it has a grainy abrasive finish which I assume helps with removing the bad stuff.

Mavlab Dental Spray Gel: a gel so no physical abrasive, and while he'll still let me brush it's not as tasty. However being a gel it really swishes around so I'm wondering if that feature may help clean where I am unable to brush?

Thankfully the places that I am able to brush are those that are worse! His physical/dental comformation makes the outsides of his teeth bad. The insides which I have trouble reaching mostly keep themselves clean.

I also have Maxi/Guard oral cleansing gel which I use in addition.

But yeah, benefit of added physical abrasive vs. non physical abrasive but improved swishiness? My vet is just impressed that I'm brushing at all, lol.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I use Petosan ... A few months back I found it very hard to find any toothpaste , my vet sells this one so its just easier. It's a poultry taste and my two love it, it's not an abrasive one.

I'm having a dumb moment but do you just spray the Mavlab dental spray on their teeth?

Edited by ♦ Marg ♦

I'm having a dumb moment but do you just spray the Mavlab dental spray on their teeth?

You spray it on their teeth or onto a toothbrush, and then brush their teeth with it. I find it easier to apply it to the toothbrush. It may still work without brushing, I don't know, but Maxi/Guard may be a better non-brushing option as it's specifically designed for that purpose. Interestingly my dog is less cooperative with Maxi/Guard even though you just dot it on their incisors.

Somewhat related: I once mistook a bottle of metal cleaning fluid (Sparkle for Stainless Steel) with Mavlab Dental Spray Gel and brushed my dog's teeth with it. I would advise those with the Mavlab gel to keep it well away from any other cleaning fluids, or you too may enjoy flushing an uncooperative dog's mouth with water every 30 mins throughout the night, being very careful to avoid any excess water traveling down their throat! :eek:

And no, his 'grill' was no more sparkly than usual...

Many thanks to ARH for helping an inconsolable PK late at night by looking up the MSDS, providing first aid advice and being completely non-judgemental. :o

"Other people have brushed their dog's teeth with cleaning fluid?"

"You'd be surprised!" :eek:

Edited by Papillon Kisses