Advice Needed

chef6982

Hi 

I am hoping someone might be able to help with out with some advice.

We purchased a golden retriever pup from a registered breeder 4 weeks ago and this past Saturday night his health deteriorated very quickly so we took him to the vets and they diagnosed a extremely rare case of congenital lobar emphysema and on Sunday the decision was made to put him to sleep.

We have tried to get in contact with the breeder (sent vet report and left message on phone) so she can make the owners of the rest of the litter aware (even though its rare) but have not received any contact from her are we wrong in expecting the breeder to get in contact so we can explain the whole situation ? 

Many friends have commented that we should ask for a refund is this something that should happen?

Hoping people can help.

Edited by chef6982

• chef6982 changed the title to Advice Needed

I'd make another effort to get in touch with the breeder and yes I think a refund of purchase price at least is a given. But not all breeders would think the same. Suggest you look up small claims court and similar but do give the breeder time ( a few days, not weeks ) to respond as who knows what is going on in their life right now.   Congenital does not mean heredity so hopefully all other pups are fine.

I'm so sorry for your loss

• Like 1