Rough and Smooth JRT

sandgrubber

I'm helping an 11 yr old with her start in the pedigree world.  Her family's choice is JRT, so that's where we're going.  I don't know the breed. Am I right in thinking you can breed rough to smooth coat within pedigree regulations?  Is one or the other dominant?  Can you get a mixed coat type litter?

23 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Am I right in thinking you can breed rough to smooth coat within pedigree regulations?  Is one or the other dominant?  Can you get a mixed coat type litter?

That's correct.  All 3 JRT coat types can be bred together without penalty - it's outlined in Part 6 "The Register and Registration" of the Dogs Australia Regulations (there is a list of breeds that have cross-breeding regulations and the JRT is not listed within this document).

A single litter can throw all 3 coat types, i.e. Smooth, Rough and Broken but as I'm not a JRT breeder, I have no idea if one is more dominant than the others or if breeding say smooth/smooth, rough/rough or broken/broken increases the chances of those coat types.

Edited by Princess Fru Fru
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mairead said:

Are they set on a JRT only because they haven't met many, or any other terrier breeds? Any chance you can introduce them to some of the rarer breeds that need all the help they can get?

The parents have owned and loved JRTs, and seeing how small NZ is, I'm inclined to avoid rarer breeds.  Anyway,  the pup is already paid for...arriving this coming Monday.

• Like 1