What Exactly Is "training In Drive"

Would certainly be interested to see what you make of some of the dogs I have here :(

hahahaha - this were my words a while ago.

My dog has no food drive and little pray drive.

Well so I thought, obviously I have not found an appropriate pray item..... until bunny :eek:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I said that truthfully. I am always interested in how other people do things. I just tend to be the type of person who asks the 'hard' questions ;)

One of the reasons I have LGDs is I love their independence and like the challenge they present in training (call me a glutton for punishment. I really do like hitting my head against a brick wall :rofl: )

There is a well known saying among LGD circles that they can make even the best trainer look bad. Well, they have made me look bad often enough :eek: . I sometimes think I should stick to easier breeds (My Dalmatian, for example, is a pure breeze by comparison). They certainly help you learn to think outside the box! :(

A dog with very high drives is certainly a challenge!

It makes them very hyperactive, destructive and they dont take no for an answer.

It is the naughtly dogs that get dumped, naughty dogs usually have high drives.....

My dog killed one of my baby bunnies (it escaped its enclosure) , so I guess he has high prey drive after all, but he doesnt try to kill my cats, in fact he fears one of them.

So I guess he has high drive, weak nerves? :(

IS that right Steve?

E:

Which means that many dogs will not be suitable for training in drive techniques?

K9: Im struggling to believe this is a serious question. Of course a dog with low prey drive or a high threshold to prey drive is not suitable for training in prey drive.

E:

Would certainly be interested to see what you make of some of the dogs I have here

K9: well speak to Monika, she has places in her seminars or book a private lesson, Im sure you wont be dispointed.

K:

can't bring em both though!

K9: well you can & many do, you would need a hanlder for each dog though.

E:

I just tend to be the type of person who asks the 'hard' questions

K9: not hard questions, just a little obvious.

E:

There is a well known saying among LGD circles that they can make even the best trainer look bad.

K9: bri ng your dog along, maybe I will make it look good :(

Yes it can be, most definitely. But at least with a high drive dog you have the drive there already to work with and shape. As you may know, in the absence of drive, you have to look for/build the tool you want to work with first, rather than working with something that is already there (ok, we could debate till the cows come home about whatever is used already being there, but you get the picture :( ).

If a dog has a really low food drive and a really low prey drive, how could you teach them? Can you increase a dogs drive somehow? Like maybe increase its prey drive by playing tug games with it?

(Just a theoretical question - my dog has neither problem...) :(

K9: well speak to Monika, she has places in her seminars or book a private lesson, Im sure you wont be dispointed.

K9: bri ng your dog along, maybe I will make it look good :rofl:

my identity has been revealed.....

Espinay if you will put a deposit for the 9.7 seminar today I am prepared to take you on to one of Steves seminar.

He requested 10 people but since I have got contacts ;) I can presuade him to have 11 in that particular group.

I wonder what kind of a bribe will he request this time.... running out of recepies here :eek:

As to dogs looking good - Rex has never looked better :(

Yes it can be, most definitely. But at least with a high drive dog you have the drive there already to work with and shape.

Lowering a drive to a workable level can be just as hard as bringing one up.

Overly driven dogs (whatever the drive) require just as much work, only different methods.

Which means that many dogs will not be suitable for training in drive techniques?

K9: Im struggling to believe this is a serious question. Of course a dog with low prey drive or a high threshold to prey drive is not suitable for training in prey drive.

It was, and it wasn't. It was more leading again to the question that was raised earlier in discussion (not by me), but which we seem to be skirting around, about what techniques could be used with an animal with low drive and low food motivation.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this so we can discuss it separately from any discussion of techniques for dogs who do have sufficient drive?

E:

But at least with a high drive dog you have the drive there already to work with and shape

K9: at least with a low drive dog, you dont have to try & control hyeractivity, if something goes wrong in training, all that happens is nothing :(

A little different when a high drive GSD Patrol dog thinks it can satisfy its drive by grabbing the first person it see's...

ALl dogs are hedonists, thats pleasure seeking, pain avoiding. Low drive dogs are not difficult to train at all, its just difficult to get them to complete complex tasks.

K9: at least with a low drive dog, you dont have to try & control hyeractivity, if something goes wrong in training, all that happens is nothing 

LOL! True. Most of the time they just shut down. Of course if they are offlead it can be a different issue as they tend to disappear in the opposite direction to the handler at a great rate of knots! :( There is a saying, for example, that an offlead Pyr is a disapyr :eek:

Which leads me to this.....I have been thinking though about different types of drive. While LGDs, for example have low prey drive, they have strong instincts to independently patrol territory and to chase off predators. I am trying to work out how to translate this to drive for training purposes.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this so we can discuss it separately from any discussion of techniques for dogs who do have sufficient drive?

You meant pray drive, didnt you?

All dogs have different drives. We concentrated here on pray, but drive (whatever it might be) can be satisfied in any dog, just what drive are you going to satisfy.

K9:  :(  :eek:  I dont know how many times I have corrected her on that spelling!  :rofl:  ;)  :rofl:

No DEAR you didnt corect me on THAT spelling!

You corrected me on the spelling of distrUction.

this is too funny :mad:mad:mad:rofl::rofl:

I have stoped correcting people on spelling my nickname loooong ago Denis :rofl:

Edited by myszka