Training Yourself

Guest Pixel

Guest Pixel

We recently finished K9 Kindy and she learnt "sit" and "drop" :(

I have been told that Staffy's are head strong and need a lot off obedience.

The thing is, we can't afford the $130+ for the training they offered after K9 Kindy.

Is there any difference between training professionally and doing it yourself? Cheap books or websites to show you how?

Check out the CCCQ website as they have a list of affiliated obedience clubs that cost about $3 -$5 a class and about $20 a year to be a member :(

Which part of Brissie are you in i might be able to give you a list of other reasonable priced clubs?

Pixel is the $139 for a few sessions or for a whole year? Most community based dog training clubs charge a reasonable annual fee.

It is definitely possible to train a dog yourself but I would suggest easier to go to class. I don't know about you but I learn better if I can see what I'm aiming for and get a critique along the way. In addition both you and your dog get to make new friends.

Temperament among Staffy's does vary but they can be quite determined characters. That said, there's plenty of staffy's doing well at our club and one is an Obedience Champion. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Guest Pixel
Pixel is the $139 for a few sessions or for a whole year? Most community based dog training clubs charge a reasonable annual fee.

For a 6 week course

Guest Pixel
Which part of Brissie are you in i might be able to give you a list of other reasonable priced clubs?

We went to Fairfield RSPCA for K9 Kindy

I am not a trainer - but I do have a Staffy. I can't speak for the entire breed - but mine is VERY stubborn. :(

The most important thing I do with my staff is follow NILIF. He's not the perfect dog, but his behaviour has become so much better after we started with this programme.

Is a group class better than teaching at home? In a group class, you have the chance to proof your commands in the presence of other dogs. That's the main reason that I take my dog to obedience school. But even if you take your dog to group classes, you'll still have to do a lot of work teaching your dog at home or in private lessons.

Hope that helped some. :eek:

Guest Pixel
I am not a trainer - but I do have a Staffy. I can't speak for the entire breed - but mine is VERY stubborn. :(

The most important thing I do with my staff is follow NILIF. He's not the perfect dog, but his behaviour has become so much better after we started with this programme.

We don't reallty do much at home in the way of training. I took her for runs with me and got her to do basic commands on the side of the road and when there were cars as a distraction.

I don't want a dog to do tricks, but I don't want her to get hit by a car when she takes off and when you call she just puts her head down and keeps going (happened last week :eek: )

What is NILIF?

Google "nothing in life is free". :(

It's basically about reinforcing your position in the pack structure without using force, by making the dog work for what it wants. So if your dog wants its dinner, make her sit and wait politely first. If she wants to get up on the sofa, ask her lie down first. It's a good way of incorporating obedience practice into your everyday life.

I don't know if NILIF would help you, but it worked really well for my staff's general obedience.

AWESOME PAWSOME FLYBALL CLUB

Rosie Milton

Mt. Gravatt Showgrounds

Mobile: 0409 592002

Email:[email protected]

BILL'S LANCELOT DOG OBEDIENCE

26 Lincoln Green Drv Browns Plains, 4118 Australia

Ph:07- 3800 1165

BONNIE'S DOG OBEDIENCE & CARE CENTRE

34 Romea St The Gap, 4061 Australia

Ph:07- 3300 2959

LOGAN ALL BREEDS DOG OBEDIENCE CLUB Inc - Obedience, Agility, Puppy Preschool

Gould Adams Park Kingston Qld 4114

Ph: (07) 3290 2718

METROPOLITAN DOG OBEDIENCE CLUB

Ellison Rd Chermside, 4032 Australia

Ph: 0412 899 086

SOUTHSIDE DOG OBEDIENCE CLUB - Agility, Obedience

Nathan Rd Runcorn, 4113 Australia

Mobile: 0405 325 766

www.geocities.com/southsidedogs/

southsidedogobedience.html

TAKE THE LEAD DOG TRAINING

Jenni or Anna

PO Box 8015 Sunnybank Qld 4109

Ph: 0422 979 401 or 0431 921 254 Fax: 07 3349 3833

There are just a few training places that i picked out from another site...there is also a place called Scallywags down at Browns Plains which is very good and reasonably priced...i'll try and find a link.

ETA - VIP pet foods down Yatala way is also suppsoed to be very good...i don't have their website on hand at the moment either but a quick google search would bring it up...they are a bit more expensive then average but i don't think they are as expensive as the RSPCA training you mentioned.

Edited by KitKat

Guest Pixel
So if your dog wants its dinner, make her sit and wait politely first. If she wants to get up on the sofa, ask her lie down first. It's a good way of incorporating obedience practice into your everyday life.

Thanks I will look it up :(

As for the above, She sits and stay's until we say it is okay to eat. Of course she has no iea what 'stay' means when you actually say it

You can quite easily incorporate training into your walks. I practice recalls when the dog is distracted by a smell or person or dog, same with coming into heel position. I get them to sit politely (at the moment practicing stand a lot though) when someone walks past. I practice getting them to sit or drop when they are not paying attention (walking ahead or sniffing). That way you practice the dog obeying even when you don't have their full attention, which would be the case in an emergency.

I enjoy trick training though - especially with Zoe as she so loves it! It is so much fun to show a group of kids that she can spin, weave through my legs, bow, beg, play dead, roll over and stand on her hind legs. They then often want to give it a try, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't :( Often she looks at me instead.

Guest Pixel

It is all about the treats :)

Got some pure liver from the pet shop this morning and cut it up into small bits. 30 mins later she is sitting and dropping on hand signals only (didn't even drop on command this morning) :mad

Guest Pixel

Wow, this dog is so head strong and stubborn.

I have:

sit = hand pushing up.

drop = hand pushing down

stay = pushing forward

come = hand my side, palm facing back

I can give her a command and she will just stare at me. So what do I do? I sit there for 5 mins with my hand giving the same command and me occasionally calling her name to get her attention......and....eventually she will follow the command :)

She picked the wrong human to play stand off with :mad

Well, at my house you do the command first time or you don't get the treat!

Don't get me wrong, I have heaps of patience for my dog if he's learning a new trick. But if he's just pushing his boundaries and refusing to obey a known command, then he has to learn that he won't get rewarded for that.

If it was me, I'd give her 2 seconds to comply - if she doesn't, then let her watch you eat the treat yourself and make her wait 10 minutes for another chance to earn a treat. If she wants the treats enough, I promise she'll work the rules out really quickly. :mad

Edited to add - but you might want to use cheese or something, not raw liver. :)

Edited by Amhailte

Guest Tess32

Also remember it will still take a while for him to really "know" STAY. He may be able to stay for 10 seconds but not 10 seconds when a dog goes past or another distraction occurs. You have to train for distractions and distance *and* duration.

Also just like us, sometimes they really do just forget. We often assume they "know" a command when they really don't and they sometimes will guess what you want or were following your body language.

Good luck - just don't rush him and assume he's being stubborn in case he doesn't truly know the command.

Nat

Guest Pixel

They stay command is new and I am moving slowly with that. Such as "Stay" take two steps back, pause, say good dog.

It is the sit commands that I KNOW she knows...she just doesn't want too :rolleyes: