My Barf Diet

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is always surprising at first, just how much dogs like their fruit and vegies.

These days when I'm making up my f&v mix in the kitchen I have Kara at my feet licking up any bits dropped. She's absolutely mad for her f&v.

Good luck with the new diet LP, I can recommend the Billinghurst books as a good tool. :kissbetter:

Edited by molasseslass

Guest LittlePixie

I have the Billinghurst books.... and Tom Lonsdale's book... and Kymythy Smythe's book (whatever the hell her name is... all those y's)...

:kissbetter: I've had them (and read them) for ages but have never been brave enough to actually do it!!

And yep Mana... the carrot, of all things! I just went through the fridge and the carrot was the only thing there... so I went hey, what the hell, and threw a whole carrot in both bowls with the chicken wings. Brody wouldn't eat his carrot whole, so I grated it, and he's currently licking up all the bits that were stuck to the side of the bowl.

That was very successful! We've always given them whizzed up veges, but I never thought they'd chomp through a carrot - our previous dog once licked all the yogurt off the bits of cucumber when we gave her some left over tzatziki! :kissbetter:

I couldn't resist putting one photo up here - I'll save the others for the photos forum when I've resized them all.

They go well with my photos of the pups attacking chicky frames!

post-22-1121655349.jpg

Edited by Mana

Ralphy was on a BARF eating plan, until i too, became guilty that i wasnt giving him enough vitamins and nutriants.

his diet was mostly raw chicken carcasses/wings/drumsticks and meaty bones...along with the occasional vegies etc.

he still gets apples and carrots as well as pears for treats.

We are into our 3rd bag of dry food, but after reading this thread It's back to the raw food or us!!

Edited by Ralphy'sMum

We have been doing it for a couple of days now, mainly chicken necks with a few left over vegies untill I get chance to go the the shops.

I found a place today that has chicken necks for $1.10 a kg and chicken carcass for $2 kg, what a bargain. Its only 'pet food quality' is that okay??

I asked the lady if I could eat it and she looked at me very strangely untill my OH butted in with the "just because we are quite picky with what we feed him"...not that we would.

We have been doing it for a couple of days now, mainly chicken necks with a few left over vegies untill I get chance to go the the shops.

I found a place today that has chicken necks for $1.10 a kg and chicken carcass for $2 kg, what a bargain. Its only 'pet food quality' is that okay??

I asked the lady if I could eat it and she looked at me very strangely untill my OH butted in with the "just because we are quite picky with what we feed him"...not that we would.

I know my butcher has asked me if I am needing the carcasses for soup? So i guess we can use the carcasses for stock??

:kissbetter: yes...normal people use the necks and frames to make soup stock with :hug: But they have become more available because us dog people are taking over the world mwahahahahahahahaha :(

Chicken feet are also good crunchy snacks for dogs :)

Ummmm... the carrots came out the other end in exactly the same form they went in the front end...

So presumably the dogs didn't get any benefit from them other than a bit of a scour on the way through?

LittlePixie - not that I'm asking you to trawl through dog poo... :thumbsup: but I think you said Holly chomped her carrot whole too... did she digest it?

Would seasoned BARFers suggest carrots etc are never much use unless processed - (I think Lonsdale and Billinghurst say that don't they?) - or once my pups have more grown up intestines they might be able to break down veges a bit more?

Guest LittlePixie

Didn't see anything when she went to the loo earlier today... but that was only two hours after she'd eaten it.

If I could just get them to stop FARTING :thumbsup:

If it's any consolation, I'm sure BARF farts are not as bad as "I-just-polished-off-a-bulk-bag-of-liver-treats-aren't-I-a-clever-dog-but-now-I-feel-really-sick" farts. Believe you me.

I look forward to an update on Holly's intestinal progress :thumbsup: (or not!).

Whoohooo... now you're talking! :thumbsup:

If you send it to me I could sharpen the image in photoshop and increase the colour saturation before we posted it...

But back to the digestion issue - I am in the process of switching over to BARF, once I'm confident I know what I'm doing...

I am feeding two pups, a 5 yo rescue lab who's teeth are ground down to the pulp, and a healthy, well toothed 3 yo lab.

The pups and the 5 yo are passing fairly sizeable chunks of bone in their droppings, whereas the healthy toothed 3 yo just has the crumbly bone droppings.

Does this mean the other three aren't up to the bones they're getting? I noticed the lamb shanks they had today (which were from petbarn and frozen but smelled AWFUL) broke into quite large splinters which worried me a bit - and the pups tend to swallow their chicken necks almost whole. Should I just leave it to their judgment as to what size goes down the hatch? Our (almost) toothless lab is inclined to gulp down whatever's left after he's mashed at it with his molars for a while... even if it's still 15 cm long!

ETA - KitKat - I'm a slow writer & you posted before me! That makes sense, thanks.

Edited by Mana

They cannot break carrots down that is why it is recommended to juice them or put them through a blender.

It will not harm your dog to give them whole, you will just get orange bits in the poo, :thumbsup:

Guest LittlePixie

Holly swallows chicken necks whole too. I give them chicken wings instead, then she actually has to chew them three or four times before swallowing! Have been giving these along with kibble for a while.

Will get out the camera tomorrow for ya.

I personaly do not feed any thing that is only pet quality.

I think that any leg bones are a lot harder than other bones, maybe stay away from shanks until the pups are older.

On the catfood topic earlier, i feed homebrand sardines (for humans) to the dogs. They cost 47cents a tin and the dogs looooove them.

I also feed frozen pilchards (the ones for fishing bait) they cost $3 for a 2 kilo bag and the dogs go crazy for them, its like feeding the seals. They only get them now and again, when i remember.

Lil Pix...keep an eye out for turkey wings and legs as well...my boys love em! and it takes longer then a second or two for them to be munched crunched and swallowed :thumbsup:

ETA - we get them for around $2-$3 per kg up here...

Edited by KitKat

packsapunch can I please ask why you dont feed anything that is pet food only? Im just wondering why it could be bad?

Does anyone know why it is different to human food, the way it is prepared etc? I dont want to give my doggie something yucky as I went the cheaper option but alos dont want to throw money down the drain.

I was giving the lady at the pet food place the 40 questions (she was real impressed) and she said the chicken necks come from a chicken processing plant.

I switched to BARF because my dog had a skin complaint that wasn't clearing up.

In the Billinghurst book he stressed the importance of good quality foods and preferably organic if possible.

I am lucky enough to be able to get organic chicken for them and all other meat is bought from the butchers.

Dont get me wrong i dont feed them fillet steak but pet mince is full of preservatives and this is what i wanted to get away from, oh and cereals.

If my dog didnt have disgusting skin i probably would not of been as careful as i am. I probably would still be feeding commercial dog food.

I also don't think pet food companies would have the health checks imposed on them like human food handling does.