The Formal Front

I teach straight fronts with the Susan Garret method of perch work and a centre line, Im sure Sidoney knows. Then you can eventually move your legs to straighten them, then shoulders then just eyes to get them straight.

I teach straight fronts with the Susan Garret method of perch work and a centre line ...... Then you can eventually move your legs to straighten them, then shoulders then just eyes to get them straight.

:thumbsup: I haven't heard of "perch work" ... can you explain, packsapunch?

Sorry Sidoney, I thought you did.

A am a crappy writer but here goes.

You make a perch, I used a piece of plywood about a big as a dinner plate (this would vary for the size of your dog) and about an inch thick and you clicker train the dog to put its feet on the perch. First one foot then increase the criteria until he confidently puts both feet on the perch. When they can do this you start using your body and legs to get the dog to move its hind quarters around and pivot on the perch and click for small steps. It takes really no time until they will pivot back and forth around on the perch just with your shoulders queing them. Eventually they will pivot from just moving your head slightly.

When all that is down pat you put a centre line down, i do it on a paved area and use the lines in the pavers so i know where my centre line is. You get the dog to pivot around and click it when it is centre on the line so the learn a straight front.

It was a fun easy thing to train it it helped my dog stay straight.

Am,

I also put my arms in the finish position when i leave the dog because i have forgotten to move them before i turned to recall and got a deduction for a double signal. I also hold them high, probably on my heart as i leave my dog. I joke to my friends that i pray as i walk up to the recall spot.

I keep my hands high because i train him often with a toy held in that position and he is a big dog.

Lisa

I understood most of it - but do need to ask one dumb question! :thumbsup:

When they can do this you start using your body and legs to get the dog to move its hind quarters around and pivot on the perch and click for small steps.

How do you use your body language to make the dog pivot his hindquarters, Packsapunch? I'm assuming you're standing there facing him at this point, so do you just mean leaning in on either side so he feels crowded and shuffles away?

Yes Am,

Make sure when you start the perch work every time they step on the perch and you reward you must step away from the perch so they can step on again when you return.

When its time to start pivoting, use your body and legs to step around towards him

with gentle crowding. Just one step at a time and pivot around the perch, one or two steps left then right. You feet are not on the perch just going around the outside. You are clicking for his back legs tracking side ways. They quickly want to be front on to you so move around. He should be very focused and offer the behaviour quick to get the treat. Dont bump him with your legs.

My dogs think this is great game.