Punishment/negative Reinforcement/both?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

H:

I've no doubt that people like you K9, are more than capable of assessing if their dog is temperamentally sound for this technique and applying it correctly, to benefit the dog rather than be detrimental. I realise that you run seminars and train people average people in this method succesfully, but I have seen so many people mismanage their dogs in training so often that I would hesitate to teach the method to the general population, because I honestly think there is great potential for damage to the dog (psychologically).

K9: I guess any method miss interpreted poses a risk to the dog, but here I am only talking about the method, I never encourage anyone to internet train their dog.

When you actually see this carried out, there is very little stress on the dog.

Have taught thousands of people, not one problem yet.

H:

When I use the term aversive, it doesn't necessarily mean a painful stimulus or saomethin that causes fear.

K9: I feel that the decider of how the dog will feel about the aversive is the attitude of the person supplying it.

H:

I still consider an ecollar stimulus to be aversive, just as someone tapping me on the shoulder would get irritating.

K9: how about if everytime I tapped your shoulder I gave you $100??

You have to look at it this way, it's not how you see the stim, it's how the dog see's it.

H:

So when are you coming to Melbourne? I would like to attend and learn more.

K9: Im making some headway in my workload so should be organising things over the next two weeks, the date is likely to be around 18th November.

LL:

I have read this thread, which has given me a headache. All these new catch words.

K9: I really learned these terms to pass exams, after that I have found little use for them when it comes to training dogs.

They sure can make you look smart when your talking to a client though, lol, not as smart as someone who can get great results lol...