Thoughts From The K9 Force Workshop

sidoney

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would also like to thank Myszka, as we all should. This is the 4th workshop she has hosted & I can tell you no money has changed hands.

I am so busy, I would not have had the time to put in the time to organise all of the attendants, so she volunteered . Without her, they would not have been run.

She does this and many other dog activities for the love of the animal. As all of you can see, she has put in a huge effort with her Dobe Rex & everyone, including my wife, wants him...lol...

So again a big thanks Myszka..

Stop it, I might get emotional here :hitself:

I enjoy doing things like that, I think I even started to enjoy driving the 80km one way between my and your house :D

I have done this and various other things becouse I can see that people have the same problems that I have and dont know what to do, where to go etc to get help and whatever they are doing fails them.

BTW when I offered that you keep Rex you decided not to :o

For those that dont know (the "Keep Rex" was for 3 days when I went away skiing) :eek:

I just also wanted to say a big thankyou to Steve for showing me how much potential my dog has (I always knew, now the task is for ME to be able to do it) and to Myszka for the organisation, it is lovely to meet someone who is so helpful and passionate.

I haven't been to a workshop like that before and didn't know if I would be suitable to go because I don't go to obedience clubs or train in agility etc but I learnt a lot from it.

I think one of the main things out of it is that I need to believe in myself and my dog a little bit more. I do tend to worry about "Oh God, what if she bit some dog" so I feel I am always on edge. Come to think about it, I probably do this in my life too hehe.

I am currently doing a course that entails behaviour but to have it put in simple terms by Steve made it a lot easier (I think I missed a bit though).

I am really excited now though, Tish is always a joy for me and as I see results (and she has got better over the last few months), its just keeps getting better!!

Thanks again and I look forward to (hopefully) show off at the next workshop (just kidding).

I was lucky enough to to attend the work shop also, however I decided to go without my big boof head.

A big thank you to Mana for being such a wonderful Taxi Driver hehehe Mana has given me the confidence that maybe I can kinda read road maps hehehe

A huge thank you to Steve for providing such an informative work shop...whoooo information overload, I can't wait to have the one on one!

Monika, thanks for chatting to me about the progress you've made with the extremely handsome Rex, it has boosted by confidence!

It was also a great opportunity to meet some other DOLers and their beautiful companions......I hope I don't see that Chi x again because I think I may just steal her!

If you haven't had the opportunity to get to one of the work shops yet, I highlu reccomend it!

I just thought I would ask the people with the video cameras, are you able to do copies? I am willing to pay for the tapes etc.

I hopefully will be able to put the film of some of the afternoon sessions (and maybe some of the early theory as well) onto a cd. More than happy to make a copy for you - just need to work out how to get the footage on to my laptop to start with! :D

Haven't done it before but I'm sure I can!

Raw hands - I know what you mean - and add that to a bit of sunburn and a touch of anxiety and I got home with a whopper headache and also had pretty good sleep that night... Needless to say Ruski was snoring by the time we were back on the main road. Clearly, being a loon takes it out of you. But a neighbour came over the next morning to say that the pups had been "screaming and howling" from the time I left in the morning till the time I got back :o... guess we've got some work to do there too...

Thanks Steve - the theory will take a while to percolate through and I've got a few gaps to fill in with the bits I missed but I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to go.

Sas - thankyou for being a car-companion! Never met a better supposed non-mapreader! :eek:

As far as figuring out who's who, I doubt it's much of a mystery.

Me = Girl with "enthusiastic" black labrador.

Edited by Mana

I hopefully will be able to put the film of some of the afternoon sessions (and maybe some of the early theory as well) onto a cd. More than happy to make a copy for you - just need to work out how to get the footage on to my laptop to start with! :thumbsup:

If you can get the film into an electronic form I have a machine on a high-bandwidth link that can host the files. If necessary pull from the tapes and edit the footage too.

K9: I didnt see any dementure, remember what you see as a problem, I see as POTENTIAL. Your puppy has a lot of potential, given direction they can be a very capable dog.

Yeah, I know she's basically a good dog with a lot of energy. She's actually turning out to be very trainable, at least with food. Her lack of resistance to distractions is making things difficult though.

Training in drive is exactly the method I use for gaining high control in cities, places to train are a little limited though. Just be sure that what ever goals you have, Ruby at first glance seems to have the requirements to exceed them...

How would you recommend working with a dog that's frustrated by other dogs in the street?

I've done a little toy-based training with Ruby in the past and tried to build on that last night at the park. I can see the difference between the English and German commands now; a 'down' in prey-drive is much different to a down that's motivated by food. However I find that the dog is much quicker to respond to food, and is much slower to learn commands when motivated with toys.

Edited by Tarka

1. I would also like to thank Myszka, as we all should. This is the 4th workshop she has hosted & I can tell you no money has changed hands.

Absolutely. I think everyone on this forum has seen some of Myszka's commitment to helping dogs and people.

T:

How would you recommend working with a dog that's frustrated by other dogs in the street?

K9: believe it or not, she isnt frustrated by the dogs on the street, she is frustrated with you stopped her from doing what she wants to.

She doesnt see you as the "key" to her drive satisfaction, so this means more prey games, that over time become intensive in the focus & concentration department.

Once the light goes off in her head that you are the key to prey drive satisfaction, frustration will be replaced with focus (on you).

T:

I've done a little toy-based training with Ruby in the past and tried to build on that last night at the park. I can see the difference between the English and German commands now; a 'down' in prey-drive is much different to a down that's motivated by food. However I find that the dog is much quicker to respond to food, and is much slower to learn commands when motivated with toys.

K9: thats because she needs to know thats how to get satisfaction, food drive training is different to food rewarding. Training in food drive will get you a faster response also, but not as fast as prey in your dog.

Once your dog knows the steps, the response will be lightning.

Remember that part of the seminar and what I always repeat in every class.

Teach, Train, Proof

for now you cant train with other dogs....... until you build the level of responce where you will be alble to add distractions.

or for a stay, time before distance before distractions.

C'mon Tarka, You have heard me say this over and over like a broken record. :o

Guys you need the video (I need the video as well), and than you need to watch it couple of times for it to sink in. (Speaking from experience)

Than you will start speaking the magic language of big circles, rising thresholds and knocking out of drive :thumbsup:

Who was the tall lady that left early??? We need her to give us the first part of the day on tape.

Can the person that have paid and didnt attend contact me privatelly.

I very smartly deleted all the emials now....... and cant remember who it was.

If someone still has the bulk emials that I was sending can you please send it to me, it might help to identify some people

She doesnt see you as the "key" to her drive satisfaction, so this means more prey games, that over time become intensive in the focus & concentration department.

Once the light goes off in her head that you are the key to prey drive satisfaction, frustration will be replaced with focus (on you).

K9: thats because she needs to know thats how to get satisfaction, food drive training is different to food rewarding. Training in food drive will get you a faster response also, but not as fast as prey in your dog.

OK, so the way forward is to concentrate on games with the dog where the dog only gets the prey-item/toy immediately after compliance with a command?

As a tip - have the toy/prey item that is not available for her to have at any other times than with you training/playing.

Get a special ball on a string (or whatever item she will like) and hide it when you are finished doing what you want to do, leaving her want the toy more.

Edited by myszka

Remember that part of the seminar and what I always repeat in every class.

Teach, Train, Proof

for now you cant train with other dogs....... until you build the level of responce where you will be alble to add distractions.

OK. That's kind of what I'm starting; I'm taking her to a nearby enclosed soccer-pitch and playing fetch where she needs to comply to get the ball. The immediate goal now is a consistent heel I think ...