Naughty (aggressive?) Labrador Puppy

For your behaviourist, if after 6 months you are having little success with problems that are basic (puppy biting is a basic problem) then ditch her. How long are you going to have to wait? Go for a trainer, not neccessarily a behaviourist. There can be huge differences between the two.

I didnt mean to say you guys have been lazy. Unfortunately you got the short end of the stick help wise :rolleyes: buggar. Actually a spray bottle may be the way to go. If he tries to bite/jump you, squirt him in the face and say NO loudly... worth a try ... and their only about $2 from bunnings. Put it on the thin stream not the mist setting.

Dont try and keep obedience at set times or periods. Obedience is a 24/7 thing for your dog. You are not teaching him tricks, obedience teaches him manners. Yes formal sessions are good for formal fine tuning but every time you interact with the dog he should be expected to behave. Try creating a 'time out' area. Maybe a corner of the backyard with a couple of meters of tether (never his crate) and if he gets really bad clip him there and ignore him for a half hour. Then make him sit, treat him and let him off for a play to show him you forgive him. If he gets too rough again ... back in time out

Some basic rules

- Always sits before eating and can be told to 'leave it' and eat on command. Dont let him stare at you when you eat

- Never enter a doorway/gate before you and doesn't push you out of the way to get through. He walks next to you/behind never in front

- Does not push or bump you with his face for attention. Doesnt force toys into you

- Does not get up onto furniture. If he does, then straight outside, quietly and calmly for a time out.

- Even when he behaves without you asking him to, give hime rewards and praise, eg: come up to you and sits down, give him a treat and a calm pat. This way theres an incentive for him to behave without you having to ask him.

Dont be afraid to keep him hungry. If he's not going for a food stuffed Kong then starve him or skip a meal to force his interest in the Kong. Wont kill him or hurt him in any way. Remember a hungry dog is more willing to listen to you to get the reward - snack or dinner.

If Maple goes overboard with her playing with Gus or just trying to be very naughty/dominant with me, i (and I know not everyone will agree with me) grab her scruff around her neck and growl at her, I don't hurt her.

I use the exact same method on my unruly pups. I wait until they show appeasement and then slowly loosen the grip until I am eventually stroking the calm dog and then everything is back to normal and we are best mates again.

It's probably best you are shown this method before giving it a go.

You are now obviously very angry at the pup for this behaviour show start showing your anger to the pup. You don't need to hit or be rough just give some of that angry energy you have bottled up. Let the dog know you are angry, very angry. Imagine this pup was a fully grown dog biting an infant....how angry would you be then.

I wish I was in Sydney ....I'd help you for nothing.

I agree with "ditch your behavourist" and start up in a good training school.

Dave.

• 1 year later...
I am not recommending dogtrainers.com.au due to my experiences with them - with a Beagle my parents had and had issues with. By the way he acted both with the trainer and at home afterwards they did not appear to have used positive methods :(

My preference for a boarding/training establishment is Hanrob if you feel that option is the way to go.

yes Kavik i had the same experience with them i also saw the poor condition of the catherine field facility they are a joke

:(