Bag Of Wind

Eldoop

I need help, I'm feeding Minx the raw pets mince with chopped up veges and supercoat puppy dry food, and some times I put scraps in, but only when I have any, so her main deit is the above, now she get wind ALOT after she eats and at night (she sleeps next to my bed on her own bed) when she lets one go.... :thumbsup: it sticks to the walls, boy Oh boy, its bad, or she will be sleeping on the couch next to me and let one go, so can anyone tell me what I can do to help stop the wind problem? can I add anything to her deit? or maybe stop feeding her the raw mince? as this is bad having a smelly baby ;)

Edited by kittyhawklee

Hey Lisa,

I once had a flatmate with a Staffy who really knew how to clear a room. In fact, Mel had a deodorising spray in every room, he was that bad!

He also was put on a diet... for "dogs with wind". It came in a 10kg slab. We both came home from work to find out that he had removed the slab from the kitchen counter (he had access to the house all day) and eaten most of it :thumbsup: . Apparently it cost Mel a fortune too and was meant to last a month hahaha.

;) ;) Jenny thanks for the story, so didn't work huh? :)

I'm going to try Minx on rice with her raw mince and no dry food, see how she goes, she doesn't fluff all the time :thumbsup: thank god, but she does not long after her feed, so phew poeple are grabbing books and fanning everywhere.. :)

KHL:

I'm going to try Minx on rice with her raw mince and no dry food, see how she goes, she doesn't fluff all the time  thank god, but she does not long after her feed, so phew poeple are grabbing books and fanning everywhere..

Raw mince, chopped vegetables and rice will not be a balanced diet for a growing pup - it will be deficient in at least calcium and phosphorus. Vegetables need to be juiced or blended for dogs to have access to their nutritional value.

Dogs have no need for cereals in their diet so don't worry about the rice. It would simply be acting as filler. If you are not going to feed kibble (which has vitamin and mineral additives) then you will have to feed raw meaty bones like chicken wings and necks in order to provide them.

Personally, I think the pet mince is the most likely source of 'wind' in the diet you are currently feeding. It tends to be made of lower grade meat offcuts and is often laced with preservatives.

If you don't choose to adopt a full "BARF" diet I highly recommend you keep Minx on a premium puppy kibble. Why don't you try one of those?

Edited by poodlefan

Hi poodlefan, I was on the BARF web site and it said not to feed dry food with the raw mince, so this is where I got it from, and I do feed chicken wings and neck :thumbsup:

I buy the veggies with my raw mince at petschow in springvale and it is blended, so I am already doing what you say ;)

KHL, I based my advice on this:

I'm feeding Minx the raw pets mince with chopped up veges and supercoat puppy dry food, and some times I put scraps in, but only when I have any, so her main deit is the above,

No mention of RMB's there. :thumbsup: A full two thirds of a balanced raw diet is RMBs so you really need to up them if you want to do this properly.

No balanced 'raw' diet includes kibble or cooked food of any kind. If you do choose to feed raw (not a 'hybrid' diet) you really need to do your homework as it takes planning to get it right. Get it wrong and your dog will suffer from malnutrition.

If you don't own Dr Billinghurst's books I highly recommend you buy them or at least the "Grow your pups with bones" one.

Hey KHL,

I have one of those stinkers here too! :thumbsup:

I'm with poodlefan- prob the pet mince that is doing it- why not try the actual barf patties from petchow? Then I would be giving lamb necks or chicken necks or chicken frames as the RMB constituent each day.

I have been feeding the barf patties with some dry food at night as the main meal...and it works just fine for my new pup.

I would also suggest trying some better dry food than supercoat- have seen it cause skin allergies in some Staffords. I am a new convert to Eagle Pack, seems to have the most natural ingredients in comparison with other dry foods. It is more expensive than Supercoat but if you are only supplementing it with the barf it should last you quite a while.

Cheers,

Mel.

I would imagine that it would depend on how much Supercoat you're feeding as to whether the diet is balanced or not. As someone mentioned, dogs don't really need rice. Might also need to be careful if you're feeding quite a bit of raw meat (i.e not getting enough calcium).However, if 3/4 of Minx's diet is Supercoat, i'd say she'd be ok.

Personally i think the B.A.R.F diet is great if you have the time and energy to make sure that it is done right. Jazz wouldn't touch it as soon as i started adding vegies and supplements, so it just didn't work for her. I may try it with Chelsea.

If you want to feed some raw foods, Supercoat is fine to do that with, or Eagle Pack (my fave), which is designed to be fed with other foods. There are a lot of super premium dry foods out there which are designed to be COMPLETE foods, which is why you can't feed some of them with B.A.R.F - can cause nutritional imbalances. I'd also consider chicken necks / wings, but just make sure Minx mashes them up. I'm having problems with Chelsea and chicken necks (they go down whole, which is ok provided they don't come back up again and get lodged in her throat!). They are great for dogs though, but just make sure you are home if you give them as i have a friend who lost a young puppy through choking on a chicken neck.

You may have to spend a bit of time trialling different foods to see what works and what doesn't.

First thing I'd do is cut out the pet mince - the red meat is probably the likely culpit. Change to chicken mince which is much blander than red meat and try that for a month. Otherwise, a premium brand puppy kibble and supplement with chicken necks/wings/carcasses is also the way to go.

I stopped feeding my dogs red meat years ago, they had smelly poo and often had the runs - chicken or fish is what they dine on now and thye LOOOOVE it! I have heard that some dogs have allergies to red meat too.

Good luck!

I had to laugh...my ex-husband has problems with a knee at the moment so I had to take him to do his shopping and pay bills and go to the Dr this morning and I was telling him about this thread. Naturally, being the good Stafford-lover that he is, he was cacking himself laughing at the farting puppy.

Anyway we got to our butcher and who should come along but a very sweet old "regular" at the butchers. A fat, grey, very waddly old Stafford girl. Majestic would be a good word to describe her as she sat down and wagged and smiled at anybody who looked at her. I couldn't resist giving the old girl a cuddle so I handed the shopping to the ex and trundled over to her. As she got up to say hello, she let RIP and did one of the loudest farts I've ever heard in a public place. Her owner was mortified until I said "ah yes, doing what Stafford girls do best", then he got the giggles as well and commented that I must know the breed. The dear old dog sat their smiling the whole time as if to say "ahhhhh". It was hilarious!

;)

I had to laugh...my ex-husband has problems with a knee at the moment so I had to take him to do his shopping and pay bills and go to the Dr this morning and I was telling him about this thread. Naturally, being the good Stafford-lover that he is, he was cacking himself laughing at the farting puppy.

Anyway we got to our butcher and who should come along but a very sweet old "regular" at the butchers. A fat, grey, very waddly old Stafford girl. Majestic would be a good word to describe her as she sat down and wagged and smiled at anybody who looked at her. I couldn't resist giving the old girl a cuddle so I handed the shopping to the ex and trundled over to her. As she got up to say hello, she let RIP and did one of the loudest farts I've ever heard in a public place. Her owner was mortified until I said "ah yes, doing what Stafford girls do best", then he got the giggles as well and commented that I must know the breed. The dear old dog sat their smiling the whole time as if to say "ahhhhh". It was hilarious!

;)

:rofl::laugh: Ellz I love your story ;) I was cracking up reading it..lol

thanks everyone for your help, where would I buy the eagle pack from ;) as I'm almost out of the supercoat, and I do feed Minx the chicken necks and wings :)

I was also thinking about just feeding Minx the pet mince, veggies and oils and not adding the dry anymore???