Getting Serious Now

Eldoop

Hi, I have asked this same question meny times now, but still found no relief to the problem, as you all know, I'm having problems with Minx itches, I know staffys suffer from skin problems but I have been asking on the staffy forums about Minx and no one can find a answer, now this is getting in the way of training as I cant pat her to tell her shes a good girl as if I touch her she on her bum scratching, she scratches her belly and around the neck area, I have checked and she has No rash, No fleas, No lumps, her paws look clear and so do her ears? :rofl:

My thoughts are her diet, but I'm feed her the raw pets mince diet, I have posted meny times Minx diet but here it is again.....

Raw pets (beef) mince....(from petschow in springvale)

blended veggies.....(from the same place above)

chicken mince......( I add from time to time for a change)

chichen wings or necks....(as a snack)

can sadines.....(once a week in her breakfast)

Omega 3&6 plus 9 oils.... (once a day)

Dry food.....now I'm currtly feeding her supercoat puppy dry food but I dont mix it in her wet food (above) I feed it to her once a day separately.

so what should I take out? or should I feed her can food to see if there is a change?

I'm at my wits end.....Oh and I asked the vet about this (on our last visit about 3 weeks ago) and he couldn't find anything wrong with her ??

I would give the dry food a miss. Every one on here know I hate the stuff. I'm a BARFer too.

What is in the vegie mix?

Try eliminating one food for a week or two and see how it goes.

Are you using anything as by way of washing your dog, like Quit-Itch?

I agree take her off the dry food.

I would also be inclined to take her off the beef mince too, mainly because information i have read states that beef can be a trigger food for some dogs, over other foods like chicken etc...

Supercoat caused a bad stomache problem in my staffy pup, and he also had very sensitive skin. I now feed him Science Diet Sensitive Stomach blend, and have had no problems with his skin or tummy since.

I used to have Casper on Supercoat as a pup and he had a very bad tummy from it.

Have you tried eliminating all grains from Minx's diet? That includes any rices, pasta, oats, etc. Also, eliminate any kibble as I believe they all have too many grains (if someone knows of any that don't, please share!).

Have you tried an elimination diet in case it is something she's eating that she's allergic to?

Have you done an internet search to see if you can get some info?

I'm going to try a elimination diet now hence the reason I'm asking you all first, the veggies are mixed in with the mince, the guy is BIG on the BARF deit, so you can buy the BARF food or he mixes his raw mince the way the Dr (cant remember the name) does, so thats why I've stuck with this food as I've heard its good and other than itching, Minx looks great :)

Ok first I'll cut out the dry food altogether

the veggie mix looks like carrots and something green, I ask the guy for mince and veg when I order my pets food, so maybe I'll ask for just plain mince with no veg??? (I just bought 4 kls of meat and veg :rofl: )

katetk.. if I take her off the beef mince, what would you advice I feed her, as the mince is her main diet?

Go to chicken mince. Some dogs are allergic to Beef. Maybe the case with Minx. Stay on the beef and eliminate Dry food since you have just bought 4kg. Try this for two weeks. Wont happen overnight but.........

Corn is another allergen. Not sure on what others but will look into it.

It would help if we knew what was in the vegies. Sorry.

Kangaroo or chicken mince is fine for dogs. Leonards has pet grade chicken mince for $1 per KG but it is a bit fatty...we always boiled it then let it sit for a while and took the fat off the top before we bagged it.

Kangaroo mince is about $2-3 per KG from the pet store and it can be given raw. They have lean and semi lean varieties too.

chicken pet mince - do you have a lenards shop near you, their stuff is good IMO.

Lamb necks, shanks, mince (although a little more $$)

Probably best to cut one thing out at a time and see if there is an improvement. I haven't had to go through and elimination diet thing so not sure about the best way to go about it.

I have just read a fair bit about allergies and the like as my boy being a westie is 'apparently' prone to them and have sensitive skin and something has always come up about beef that and cereals/wheat etc - have never had a problem with him though but have tried to stay clear of cereals and only recently have started a small amount of beef with him (mixed in with lamb BARF pattie).

I buy my chicken mince from Wishbone chicken shop its like lenards, they also do a pets chicken mince but like lenards it looks like ground up bones in it aswell, but Minx loves it, now if I go buy a heap of chicken mince, and stop feeding her the beef and veg of afew weeks, should I still feed the chicken mince raw??

You didnt say what you wash Minx in.

good point!!

Are you sure it is food related and not a contact allergy type thing or a reaction to some shampoo? I remember once when i first gave harvey a bath in a fidos puppy shampoo, he had a small reaction as it was too fragrent for him took quite a while for it to go away, i now use (i dont often bath him) Aloveen shampoo and leave in conditioner - YUMMO!

EDIT - RAW is best, forget cooking it, NEVER cook anything with bones in it. The mince you describe sounds like lenards stuff, it is basically ground up chicken carcass :rofl:

Edited by katetk

You didnt say what you wash Minx in.

good point!!

Are you sure it is food related and not a contact allergy type thing or a reaction to some shampoo? I remember once when i first gave harvey a bath in a fidos puppy shampoo, he had a small reaction as it was too fragrent for him took quite a while for it to go away, i now use (i dont often bath him) Aloveen shampoo and leave in conditioner - YUMMO!

EDIT - RAW is best, forget cooking it, NEVER cook anything with bones in it. The mince you describe sounds like lenards stuff, it is basically ground up chicken carcass :rofl:

You edited the 'N' in your mice...... ;) :)

Hey one thing at a time. Sorry.

You know it can even be your supplier that is the problem. Not saying it is, but you never know.

Some suppliers will say it okay, but in fact they will sell you anything. I have often changed my supplier of chicken mince too. So we will come to that later.

Some butchers/chicken supplier will put in that sulphur to keep meat fresh. And even that can give your dog an allergy. Now all butchers/chicken suppliers will do this, but how much is another story in itself.

(just to let you know I have two dogs who suffer with itchies, and I'm just going by what I have done in the last 12 mths.)

I wash her in a Lavender and Tea Tree oil dog wash, but I've only washed her 3 timesĀ  :rofl:

OUCH. Could be the Tea Tree. Lavender is calming.

You will find a lot of dogs are allergic to Tea Tree. Mine were.

I would go back to a non soaping shampoo like Quit-Itch. Aloveen sound okay, have heard good reports.

I use to wash my dogs three times a week when they had there itchies. I know you cant do that. But after a Quit-Itch bath they were good for a couple of days. After the elimination diet I only have to bath once a fortnight or when they get dirty.

Edited by TiffanyAmber

Ok the beef mince has the vegies mixed in, so if I take Minx off the beef mince it will be the veg aswell.

and I'm going to stop the dry food as from now.

Tomorrow night I'll pick up afew kgs of the chicken mince and just feed her that..... no veg or dry or beef, would this be a ok diet for afew weeks?

I wash her in a Lavender and Tea Tree oil dog wash, but I've only washed her 3 timesĀ  :rofl:

OUCH. Could be the Tea Tree. Lavender is calming.

You will find a lot of dogs are allergic to Tea Tree. Mine were.

I would go back to a non soaping shampoo like Quit-Itch. Aloveen sound okay, have heard good reports.

I use to wash my dogs three times a week when they had there itchies. I know you cant do that. But after a Quit-Itch bath they were good for a couple of days. After the elimination diet I only have to bath once a fortnight or when they get dirty.

No probs.....I've only washed her 3 time since we got her though, could thats still be coursing this much itching?