Choker Collars

Choker collars

I'm starting puppy classes with Tilly on Sunday. I still have the chain lead & nylon rope choker collar that I used with my last dog at puppy school. It's 11 years old but still in good nick.

Q. Is this still the standard equipment I need at puppy school?

Guest Tess32

I personally would put the puppy in a flat collar. Puppy school is mostly for positive interactions between the pups and to learn some basics.

Most puppies don't pull at that age...is he/she pulling?

Nat

PP - If you are heading where I suggested for puppy classes fabric limited slip / martingale is ok.

ETA:

I still have the chain lead & nylon rope choker collar that I used with my last dog at puppy school. It's 11 years old but still in good nick.

Is this nylon rope collar a limited slip or a full check collar? Check collars are not allowed at the club, but limited slip are.

btw... chain leads are terrible for dog training and aren't allowed, get yourself a cotton web one, or better still a good quality leather one. Nylon leads will burn your hand if the dog takes off suddenly (ouch!)

Edited by ChelseasMum

Or do they sell them at puppy school?

Yes, they do... club members get a really good discount too. They have a huge mobile van with all kinds of stuff, at cheap prices.

But City Farmers is pretty cheap for these, better prices still if you are a CAWA member.

Buy a 6' one if you can...

...... or better still a good quality leather one. Nylon leads will burn your hand if the dog takes off suddenly (ouch!)

:laugh:

On behalf of a client, who lost control of his young doberman dog, I sliced the tip of one of my fingers off grabbing at his poor quality leash whilst trying to stop his dog from racing through the gates onto the road. I'm glad I managed, but it should've been the owner, not me .....

A colleague of mine took on a new client bthat had a Law Enf dog that needed some work, before beginning work I always told him to put one of his own leads on the dogs, one time he didnt & although the handler had a leather leash on, it was a cheap one, it snapped & put my colleague out of business.

He lost use of his right hand, his face is scarred beyond belief...

I will only use my own leads for safety reasons.

They are here

post-9-1128659370.jpg

Unfortunately, a typical human assumption is that "it won't happen to me". Hhhmm, makes me think of a good reason for a new thread - bad experiences from the use of inappropriate and poor quality equipment.

Can I copy your post into it, K9? Or, better still, would you? (It'd come up with your avitar then.) Sorry for your colleague :laugh: .

Edited by Erny

Yeah sure... Im sure you have seen people grab the ring on a collar when the leash snaps & lost top of finger? Seen that about 6 times (this year).

When a handler comes to me & they have lost confidence as their dog is aggressive or something, a step in the right direction is a good leather leash, the cotton & nylon ones turn into a string when you grip them tight & leave you feeling that the dog is going to get loose...