Which One Should I Use First? What Is The Differen

GOM

Grooming "mantra" is brush, comb, brush, comb. Preferably the mildest brush you can get or at the very worst a good quality slicker brush...NOT on of those pet shop jobbies which are hard backed with treacherous metal spikes because they can be very painful to the dog if misused.

If the dog is matted, a dematting rake is a useful tool...FOLLOWED by brush, comb, brush, comb. Do not make the mistake of wetting a matted dog, the mats will clump tighter and become even harder and more painful to remove.

Sorry to kinda hijack.. :cry:

I have a soft pin slicker brush, a pin brush (both of these are the same 'type' with a special grip) and a fine tooth comb..I generally grab all three and start with the slicker, then the pin and face and fiddly areas with the comb...id this right or is another way better.

katek, if it were me I would be using the pin brush first, the slicker brush only (and very gently) on areas where there are twizzles and the comb all over. Sometimes the brush just loosens the hair so the comb removes any that is loose but has stayed behind (and which could ultimately cause matting) and sometimes the comb will find twizzles that the brushes haven't.

I'd say brush first, comb next or during brushing. Combs are basically for getting out the knots. :rofl: and doing the tricky places like around the eyes and ears.

What breed do you have?

goldens :rofl:

Oh GOM, your Goldens are lovely :) They are so rich in colour and they remind me of my boy when I was a kid -especially the dog in front.

Are you showing these 2?

I was going to suggest having a play around with a few different products - and the hairdryer :eek:

Have you tried blowdrying them before? Brush and blowdry, give the really curly bits a spray with the right product for your dog (or even conditioner watered down in a spray bottle) and brush the curls straight as you're drying. Don't stop brushing and blowing until the coat is completely dry or you will end up with the wave coming back.

Just to add, if you haven't blow dried them before, keep brushing "with" the coat rather than brushing it all up. Otherwise you'll end up with giant Golden fluffballs!!

Then once the dogs are all done, you could wrap a towel around them like a cloak which will keep the coat flat. Of course, it's not really worth all the trouble if you're not showing them. The curls are quite lovely! As long as they are clean and smell pretty :D

GOM I think I understand where you are coming from.

You've possibly been looking at photos of some of the Goldens in the USA who have flat and straight back coat from the back of their heads to their tails. I'm afraid the majority of them have been stripped and scissored that way. I don't know how Australian exhibitors feel about that but I'm not 100% in favour of it because I truly believe that it ruins the waterproofing qualities of the Retriever coat.

Your dogs are lovely the way they are.

GOM I think I understand where you are coming from.

You've possibly been looking at photos of some of the Goldens in the USA who have flat and straight back coat from the back of their heads to their tails. I'm afraid the majority of them have been stripped and scissored that way. I don't know how Australian exhibitors feel about that but I'm not 100% in favour of it because I truly believe that it ruins the waterproofing qualities of the Retriever coat.

Your dogs are lovely the way they are.

ellz

You are talking about US breed and Aus breed :D

Actually I like the Aussie one :)

Specially the temperament :eek:

You are talking about US breed and Aus breed :eek:

Actually I like the Aussie one :D

Er, actually GOM, they are all the SAME breed....even if they don't look like it in some cases. I was talking about the presentation, not the breed itself.

You are talking about US breed and Aus breed :eek:

Actually I like the Aussie one :D

Er, actually GOM, they are all the SAME breed....even if they don't look like it in some cases. I was talking about the presentation, not the breed itself.

Hey! Ellz! I’m considering to buy a Chris Christensen brush, but just wondering which suit them the most. The golden pin or the sliver pin…and how long for the pin? :) please suggest

Edited by GOM

Hey! Ellz! I’m considering to buy a Chris Christensen brush, but just wondering which suit them the most. The golden pin or the sliver pin…and how long for the pin? :eek: please suggest

I'm not a good one to ask. I personally don't like them. A lot of money to spend when there are comparable brushes on the market which are cheaper.

You might like to look at the PSI range for a start. I've just been sent a Plush Puppy pin brush which I'm trialling and that seems to be pretty good so far too.

Hey!  Ellz! I’m considering to buy a Chris Christensen brush, but just wondering which suit them the most. The golden pin or the sliver pin…and how long for the pin?  :eek:  please suggest

I'm not a good one to ask. I personally don't like them. A lot of money to spend when there are comparable brushes on the market which are cheaper.

You might like to look at the PSI range for a start. I've just been sent a Plush Puppy pin brush which I'm trialling and that seems to be pretty good so far too.

Can you give me some online information/online ordering site regarding PSI?? :D

Many thx!

GOM, unless you are actively showing, you really don't NEED "top of the line" products for your dogs. You need a good quality slicker brush (I recommend the "Doggyman" slickers which are hard to get but there are other soft slickers on the market), a good quality pin brush (which doesn't need to cost you $60 when you can pay under $20) and a good quality comb.

The comb you already have but I'd ditch the pin brush with the knobs on the ends of the pins and I'd get rid of that slicker. It looks to be very hard backed with no "give" to the pins.

I can't remember where you live but if you can get to a dog show, check out some of the vendor vans which will have pretty much everything you need.