Poorly Eye In Newfy Puppy

debsvirgo

One of my 13 week old boys has got a pinkish fatty looking blob of skin in the corner of his eye- like an extra eyelid but at the bottom inside corner appear - any ideas what it could be?

It has just appeared overnight, when you rub his eye it disappears for a minute then appears again

Any advise or help would be great

regards

Debbie

Thanks Ellz

It does seem to look like that condition - i first noticed it yesterday afternoon - he was fine this morning but it has appeared again this afternoon.

I will see how he goes tomorrow - but looks like a trip to the vets!!!

Do you have any idea what causes it?

regards

Debs

I'd be seeking a vets advice, especially if you've pushed it back in and it keeps reappearing. The risk with third eye prolapse (cherry eye) is the eye drying out. If the membrane is exposed for too long it can prevent it from being successfully tacked back into place and often then requires surgical removal.

Hi Ellz/Renay

Misty Blue is fine - it was his 3rd eyelid that has popped up - vet seems to think one of the other pups may have caught it playing!!!

He is booked in tomorrow for a little operation to tack it back into place - bless him.

Had him weighed while we were there 21.2kg age 13 weeks 6 days!!! No fat on him he is a big lad!!!!

I will get a piccie of him for you in a mo.

regards

Debs

Well Misty Blue has had his little operation - he is now banging into everything with his new Elizabethan collar!!!

We have to keep him apart from the other 2 pups for 5 days - should be fun as they are just the other side of the back door!!!

He checked his other eye and could see no obvious loosness and feels that it was probably injured play fighting!

He is having fun running around and banging into things - lets hope he is ok - he seems fine though.

regards

Debs

Misty Blue had the stitches removed today tht were holding his eye shut - the other stitchs from the operation are the dissolving type, the vet was very pleased with the way his eye looks and it's great to see him back with two eyes again - bless him he has been so good.

Only one problem now though - since he has been inside with us for the past 5 days he barks contantly when we put him outside!!! Guess we have gained a house dog lol

At least he's on the mend now - pics to follow in a mo

regards

Debs