Hormone Implant?

How about I trade you a new set of sheets if you can insert some commonsense into my big black bundle of canine neuroses aka Ruski?

I don't think there was anything in your post that went even remotely near suggesting you would hurt your dogs...

I just thought just in case someone took it serious that i would scarifice my dog to the desensitisation program, you never know - people read things differently and they are not always taken in the same context in which they were written.

Mana I wish I knew how to insert common sense into any dog with agression issues, but I am very clueless!

Fingers crossed someone comes out with a "wake up to yourself' tablet for dogs :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any information on desexing increasing aggression in female dogs? Zoe became aggressive towards dogs after being desexed, she was fine before. But as she was desexed around 6 months I guess it could have been a number of things that occur around that age. But any information helps!

And if this implant helps aggression in female dogs, I am all ears!

I wish I had been here for the dog aggression seminar with K9! Maybe will have to do a private lesson when finances improve . . .

There's some referenced information here, by James O'Heare (2003):

http://www.kerryblues.info/index.html?http...EALTH/SPAY.HTML

When you spay a female dog you greatly reduce the amount of estrogen and progesterone she produces, but the small amount of testosterone she produces remains roughly constant. This means that she now has a much higher ratio of testosterone to estrogen/progesterone in her system than before, which may cause her to display more aggressive and "masculine" behaviour.

When desexing a male dog, you just reduce the amount of testosterone he produces, which often results in the opposite (less aggressive behaviour).

Hope that helps?

:)

Don't know if anyone's still interested in this topic, but I've just been talking to my vet about it this week.

There are two options for dog contraception - an injection called Tardak or Tardek, and an implant called Suprelorin. Both have a contraceptive effect as well as being likely to alter an entire male dog's behaviour. Both interfere with a dog's testosterone production, but through different biochemical routes.

The Tardek injection needs to be redone every 2 - 6 months, two injections each time, at a cost of about NZ$30 an injection.

The Suprelorin implant needs to be redone every 6 months, at a cost of approx NZ$90 an implant.

I'm considering trying out the Suprelorin in the next month or two, if anyone wants to know how we go just drop me a line.

:o

*Edited for spelling errors!*

Edited by Amhailte

Thanks Amhailte. Good luck with whichever one you choose. ;)

I went to the vet last night and she has percribed Clomicalm along with alot of training for Toby. I asked about the hormone injection and she said that it would be a last resort due to the side effects and we would be better trying the Clomicalm first. I didnt ask what the side effects were.

Fingers crossed this works, or helps, at $80 a month its not cheap!