Training School

Can anyone please recommend a Training School in the St George / Sutherland area of Sydney?

We used to take one of our dogs to a local one but even though he was promoted each week, I was not happy with it.

Our 22 month old male is strong and only occasionally shows some agression to certain other dogs which I would also like to fix. We don't have any problems with our other dogs but they could do with some training from someone else.

I could have sworn there was a thread where someone has asked this (and received answers) but I can't find it for you, Norskgra.

The only reputable training school I know of in Sydney is at Hanrob Kennels (Steve Austin), but I don't even know where that is in relationship to you.

I think K9 Force might know of a school too - but again, don't know if it will be near you.

Sorry I can't help much more than that. At least my response will serve as a "bump" to your thread and perhaps draw the attention of DOLers who can be more helpful.

:thumbsup:

Norskgra there is a dog training club at Sutherland - I don't know anything about their training methodology but they do seem like a really nice bunch of people. Or was that the one you weren't thrilled with. :thumbsup:

I've done an agility trial there and their grounds were very nice. Hopefully there's a DOLer who's a member and can tell us more. If its aggression specific issues you want ironed, a trip to see K9Force would be my recommendation.

Edited by poodlefan

I think K9 Force might know of a school too - but again, don't know if it will be near you.

K9: when speaking to someone the other nite, when they mention me at their club, people just put their head down & walk away.. lol...

Hanrob is one place you can go to... If I were to go to Hanrob, I would only go if Steve A was training...

Is there really such a big rivalry between trainers and what method to use?

I can tell u one thing tho, I went to RSPCA puppy school and it was all using food to move your dogs head back to sit etc etc and I thought it was a pile of crap. Got out of there as soon as possible.

I guess there is bitchiness between trainers like there are in all facets of life!

I guess especially if u fix a dog that they could not. :thumbsup:

I guess there is bitchiness between trainers like there are in all facets of life!

I guess especially if u fix a dog that they could not. :thumbsup:

That is one reason why I like the Peakhurst club.

Trainers will help with what they know, but have no problem saying - sorry its beyond me, go and seek prof help.

They usually send them to Steve Austin becouse he is local.

I send to K9...

Is there really such a big rivalry between trainers and what method to use?

K9: yes, those of us who can train are always envied by those who cant.. lol...

I guess especially if u fix a dog that they could not

K9: well you can see why some of us may not be popular. lol...

Hi Myszka, I know you don't like us at Sutherland but we are really very nice and do our best to help people train their dogs. Remember that we are all volunteers and don't get paid for all the time we give up. We only charge people $3 per lesson, so it is affordable for many people who can't pay out large amounts but still need help with their dogs.

Training covers all aspects from pet dogs to obedience trials, agility, clicker training and canine mans best friend. Next year we will be training for flyball. We also have a group of dogs going to nursing homes, performing at fetes and many more.

At the present time we have several people finishing off Delta courses, and all instructors do an instructors course based on the Canine Council guidelines.

This is just a thumbnail description and I would be only too pleased to answer any queries.

By the way, Steve Austin is a former chief instructor of Sutherland Obedience and now and again comes back to talk to us. Something he said at the last visit that I always remember "There are as many ways to train a dog as there are dogs and I am still learning."

MD:

We only charge people $3 per lesson, so it is affordable for many people who can't pay out large amounts but still need help with their dogs.

K9: I would be a little cautious here, it's not like the services that your club provides are the same as a personal trainer, only cheaper, there will be a marked difference.

That may not be limited to ones ability, rather a numbers disadvantage a club will have over a personal trainer.

Edited by K9 Force

K9 - when all is said and done you get what you pay for.

I do private lessons too, but this is quite apart from my association with Sutherland Obedience.

There is a place for all different facets of dog training facilities. Sutherland Obedience provides a solution for the vast majority of pet owners who just want a well behaved companion dog. AND we do have UD dogs in the club so there are no limitations on how far you can go with your dog. Anyone out there doing Agility trials will have noticed our large contingent of agility competitors.

So I think we are giving good value for this $3 lesson.

However, I would be the first to say that a one on one lesson from an experienced trainer is always good value. :thumbsup:

MD:

when all is said and done you get what you pay for.

K9: well of course,,

MD:

AND we do have UD dogs in the club so there are no limitations on how far you can go with your dog.

K9: I guess so, providing UD is not lower than the level you want to achieve...

There are many disciplines that exceed UD in the dog world, but I agree that a club like this one could provide a valueable service to the pet owner.

Norskgra - I guess you know the address: Waratah Park, just past the swimming pool at Sutherland, athletics and football fields. You'll see the clubhouse.

The bad news is: 8.30am on Sunday morning. You would need to come about 8.15 the first time and bring your vaccination certificate. Dog must be four months old. There is a $20 joining fee and then $3 when you attend. We also train Monday and Wednesday nights 7.30pm but there is no-one to register you on these nights, only Sunday mornings.

Promise you and your daughter will be very welcome, and doggy will enjoy himself too! :(

Almost forgot - it is up to you if you want to use a check chain. We do have some viable alternatives if you want to try them. :)

Edited by Mrsdog

Thanks MD,

I will be there and I will try to get my daughter up as well so we can bring two of our dogs. It would probably be our 22 month old male and our 5 month old female. We may bring other dogs on different weekends if that is okay.

Edited by norskgra

Hi Myszka, I know you don't like us at Sutherland but we are really very nice and do our best to help people train their dogs. Remember that we are all volunteers and don't get paid for all the time we give up. We only charge people $3 per lesson, so it is affordable for many people who can't pay out large amounts but still need help with their dogs.

Oh no, I liked the great majority of people over there. I really enjoyed agility, the demo classes etc.

What I didnt like and I will repeat this time and time again is inconsistency of training methods between instructors. Ranging from pure positive to way over the top nasty.

And if you happend not to know any better and go from one class to another from one extreme instructor to another, all you could end up is a headache and an extremly confused dog.

Want my two examples again?

Im also a volounteer (at Peakhurst) and I know how it is, I try the best I can but I would never dream to try to fix someones problem dog with the limited knowledge I have.

All clubs have the good and the bad points, there you go norskgra doesnt like Peakurst for whatever reason.

Not everyone can be pleased, I guess I wasnt pleased when I was at Sutherland.

BTW Norskgra what were you not happy about in Peakhurst.

Godd creative criticism will only improve the club. So please share.