Vet Shocked At Me Giving My Dogs Vegies

sugar

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phatdex,

If u havent noticed, corn comes out whole in humans too.

Ummm no, I have better things to do after a visit to the loo :rolleyes: !

Cheers,

Corine

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by fido666

We fed our Bedlington raw and cooked beetroot from the time we learnt he had copper toxicosis. It is a liver detoxifyer and he loved it.!!

Made his wee a funny colour though :mad

Always put our dogs on chicken and rice after a tummy upset

- works well

Generally feed BARF and always puree the vegies - no corn or peas though

In our last 2 litters, the bitches started bringing in raw chicken bones at 4 weeks for the puppies to start knawing on, so no puppy porridge for us. Our butcher used to mince whole raw chickens for us which was great :rolleyes:

Cheers

Erica

What about creamed corn?????

As a treat in moderation

Are kidney beans/butter beans, lima beans alright for dogs???

As a treat in moderation. Watch for the gasses coming out the other end! :D

beetroot??

If you want to feed veggies, this is fine to add as part of the variety in moderation. IMO raw is preferred. Be aware that poos and urine will likely come out red as a result of eating it :rofl:

Custard??

As a treat in moderation

I've got a chihuahua that loves chewing on my leftover corn cob for a while, picking out all the bits of corn ive missed. Luckily, i dont have to worry about her swallowing it, she couldn't fit it all in her mouth if she tried! :rofl: She also chews on apple core sometimes. I've had a few ppl tell me this is bad, but she seems to like it, and it doesnt make her sick, and its not very often anyway.

She loves eating little bits of whatever I eat, and none of it has hurt her at all. When i have vegemite on toast i give her a corner- she loves licking off the vegemite, then leaving the soggy bit of bread :D

It depends! Stella loves vegies, eats boiled everything, even broccoli :rofl: , and especially tomatos and avos. Never had runny poo from it. Solly doesn't accept vegies at all, he had a bit of boiled carrot in his food once (added for volume) - OMG, he vomited immediately and everything. Yesterday he got one corn kernel - he tried it in and out for 5 min, and spit out finally.

When I was small, there were not much meat at my place for people, leave out dogs. Dogs only knew taste of meat, not meat itself. My graddad's dogs were fed a bit of offal (very little), and mainly - bred with a smear of butter. Our dog was raised from 3 weeks old, on cow milk and a bit of meat first, and later - just vegie soup. Sure they were not as shiny as well-fed dogs, but they all survived and had normal poo. The oldest of them I know (husky x), Baikal, was never sick, survived parvo and lived 12 years. I recon, their digestive systems learnt to get as much as they cold from whatever was available..

McDonald's soft serve??

AWWWWWW come ON!!!! It's only once every 3 -4 weeks!!! 

Just ask my dogs how much they love the McDonalds drive through :p (in fact I used the 'want to go to McDonalds?' line last week when trying to hurry up one of my dogs out of sedation following a procedure. The vet thought it was a hoot as it was the only thing she responded to! :D )

Yep, chippies, nuggets and soft serve is often on the order. But only as an occasional treat in moderation (for me too :rofl: ) :D

All our dogs have always known what Mr Whippy sounds like.

Works well for me - one kiddy cone - I have a bite, then the rest goes to the dog - but we make them lick it SLOWLY...!!!

And as for veg - my man was hassling for my dinner the other night - the next night I decided to turf the leftovers - but then decided to heat them and put them in his bowl. He loved it - vegetable lasagne!!! (I gave him some meat after though cos it felt wrong for him NOT to have any!)

Green vegies have a substance in them that dogs cant digest so you may as well feed them marbles if you dont break down the cell wall by juicing or pulverising them . Cooking works for this also but not much point as the cooking kills off the enzymes and the vitamins.

Corn is a cereal and is reknowned for over heating the blood so commercial foods high in corn cause problems with itchy skin etc than others but small amounts in the diet wont do any harm. Except no matter what size your dog is you run a risk if you allow them to eat the cob . It doesnt break down and causes blockages . A small dog may break off smaller pieces to eat but a small dog only needs a small piece to block up the works.

In the wild dogs do eat the insides of herbivores and carnivores BUT these animals have a different digestive system and their digestion starts in their mouth so by the time it gets to the intestine its had a chance to be exposed to all of the enzymes the dog needs to have the cell walls broken down so they can digest it ,

Plants from the nightshade family [tomatoes and potatoes] have a group of alkaloids which may cause a problem . Most plants with this substance in are drugs [ tobacco is one of them] but in food plants there are smaller amounts so its pretty rare to see an instant reaction. Green on a potato tells you that there is a high amount of these alkaloids and its better for people and dogs to avoid them . You cant cut the bit off and eat the rest or cook it as it doesnt die off during cooking. Its a bit technical because the green bits in a potato are actually chlorophyll and not the alkaloid but this is a sign of high amounts of a the dangerous stuff being in the potato . This is why cutting the green bits out doesnt work . Remember that dogs cant digest chlorophyll anyway.

Now here's where it gets really interesting Plants make alkaloids to protect themselves from insect that may want to eat them . These chemicals are toxins which can kill bugs and there is very little difference in dog DNA to a bugs DNA .In potatoes 2 alkaloids have been looked at pretty extensively They have a steroid like property which blocks an enzyme in nerve cells [ called cholinesterase] Now if you eat enough of this stuff at once you see things like muscle twitching etc but in smaller amounts you dont SEE any symptoms.

The second is related to damage to the joints as it causes inflammation and damage casused by an inability of the joint to hold minerals in the correct balance.

Now up until recently health professionals ignored the fact that these alkaoids did this as the results dont show straight away BUT it has been shown to cause calcium loss from bones and excessive depositing of calcium in soft tissues.

In a pregnant bitch it may cause eclampsia or toxemia because of the mineral absorption inbalance.

Also because these plants have very small amounts of other alkaoids like nicotine there's some research going on re its impact on internal systems as well.

This is one of the reasons Im against people feeding their dogs potato based foods such as Eukanuba [ which happens to be owned by the pringles chip people] Also many commercial foods these days have added herbs which often carry this as well.

The fact is that there is enough science to support that feeding these foods may impact on many things associated with good health but its a long term effect and so noone sees the association.

If you have a dog that is sensitive to these alkaloids then you may see instant reactions and eating green tomatoes isnt the best idea as they have much more nicotine like substances in them.

Personally I limit potatoes and tomatoes [ and eggplant ] in my dog's diets and because my genetics tells me I have a fair chance at R Arthritis myself I steer clear of them [most of the time] I would advise any dog owner who has a breed of dog which has a propensity to things such as HD to stay clear of them as well. Any dog which has a problem with nerve muscle damage or joint problems it may be worthwhile to take off anything that comes from this family of foods.

When you look up the ingredients content of a commercial food you need to consider each as an individual to really understand what you're feeding and the potential cost to your dog. [over time]

There's a simple answer. Feed lots of different foods with lots of variety . This way the chances that you will either give too much of something or too little of something is remote. Vegies are great but they only need to be a small part of the diet so shouldnt be a worry at all.