Japanese Spitz - Size

Joan

I recently had to have my Jap spitz measured for the new agility rules. I had been trialling him at 370mm which is tall for a Jap Spitz (breed standard is to 360 mm). I know that he is hard to measure as the breed does not like strangers but he was measured at 381 mm which I makes him a very big Japanese Spitz. I expressed my concern at their measuring but can't do anything about it. This means my dog will have to jump at a much higher height which I don't like as I think it puts too much strain on him and am thinking of giving up the sport but don't really want to as we both enjoy it. Does anyone know of a Jap spitz this big and do you think it would be too stressful on his body to keep competing at higher heights>

I dont think it matters that he is 20 mm over for his breed because one of my dogs is a purebred out of both Aust champ parents and he is way over the breed standard.

I would get your dog remeasured at another trial. It seems strange that you have had an official measure at 370 and now another at 380. One of the measurements must be wrong.

Maybe they didnt get down through his coat or maybe if he was worried and he was right up on his toes.

I like Jap Spitz.

Hello Joan,

If you actually go to the ANKC website, the breed standard height has actually been increase. The maximum height now is 380mm, or 14 1/2".

I have a male who is also 380mm, and when in the ring looks small. So I would say your JS is the standard height.

Don't give up on agility, the JS is a very agile breed, just see how he goes. If you find it too high, try another sport like fly ball or lure coursing, other sports the JS are great at :thumbsup:)

Kacey

Wow, 13kg does seem rather big, how tall is he?

What are you feeding him?

You do need to be careful having too much weight on a younger dog as it really isn't good for their joints and can bring on problems such as Hip Dysplasia and Luxating Patellas.

But some JS do mature quickly so it just depends on his weight in comparision to his height.

Thanks Slvaangel, I just measured him, he's about 15 1/2'' height. God, I didn't realise he's quite a big spitz. My husband spoke to a breeder on the phone as we were looking to buy another JP puppy. The breeder told him that usually JP are around 14'' height, 9-10kg weight. But, she said that Spitz from older blood lines can be bigger. Even over 16 inches in height. How heavy is your Spitz?

I feed him California Natural and Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and twice a week I used to give him antibiotic free eggs. I no longer give him eggs as Evo and Eagle Pack have egg. In the last few days, I've started him on Evo Innova. I'm planning to switch from California Natural to Evo instead, but still mix it with Eagle Pack. I was feeding him two cups a day but cut down to 1 1/2 cup recently. I think he gained weight quite fast from Pig's ears. I give him one a month now. We walk him twice a day, and some weekends, he goes for three walks. Maybe he's from the older bloodlines.

My Japanese Spitz male is about 9kg and is 14 1/2"... I have 5 actually but he is my biggest :)

I have heard that the older lines were quiet big... where did you buy your JS from?

It is a good idea to cut down his food to 1 1/2 cups... you just have to be careful that you don't walk him to much at young age, two walks a day are fine as long as they are of a short distance.

He would love walking with you everday, they just love being with people!

Oh god, dose that mean my JP is too big? 13kg, 15 1/2 height. I bought him from Pets Paradise, Westfield, Bondi Junction. I think he was sent from Victoria.

Wow! you have 5 jp. I'd love a couple more. Did you buy all of them from a breeder and are they from the same litter? They are lovely dogs. Can you please tell me why we shouldn't walk him too much at a young age and why at short distance?

Do you have a picture of your five dogs together? I'd love to see them. You can send to my e-mail if that's ok with you. Posting pictures here can be a bit small, hard to view. It's possible that we will get another puppy next year when we come back from overseas. I regret it now that we didn't get his brother at the same time. Be interesting to know if his brother is about the same height and weight as Panda.

Edited by panda

Hello Panda,

I am actually a breeder/exhibitor... I bred two of my boys, and I have their mother and two other girls from an outside kennel.

I don't have a picture of them all together as they wouldn't sit still long enough for that :)

You boy does sound big, he possibly could be a little overweight too but I can really say unless I saw him... but he is a pet for you to love so I wouldn't be too concerned about his height.

In regards to walking to much, at a young age they are still growing, so are their joints and bones. Sometimes when you walk them to much, especially if they have to much weight on them, a lot of pressure is being applied to these areas. Something, on rare occasions, this can result in problems such as Luxating Patella and Hip Dysplasia. With a puppy you should always start with a shorter walk and work your way up to a longer walk.

Now, that I have said that I don't want you to be alarmed, I am sure you dog is fine. It is just important to be aware of this.

Hello all :thumbsup: Slvaangel, where abouts in Queensland are you? I am on the Northside, I know that Spitz breeders are few and far between. I have a lovely little girl who will be 2yr old this month. I haven't measured how tall she is, but the weights that you are all comparing, makes my girl seem tiny?! She only weighs approx 7.5kg. Is this ok? I have come across another JS in my area, and her nose compared to the other dog is quite longer, the other dog was quite short and stumpy. Overall my girl looked longer and leaner as opposed to this other dog that was short and stocky all over. Any thoughts on this?

Tara

Hi Tara,

I am on the Sunshine Coast.

I wouldn't be too concerned about your girls size, I have a girl who sounds very similar to yours. Who did you purchase your JS from?

The Japanese Spitz has 4 different types, based on the original lines in Japan and Australia has had over 10 imports in the last couple of year from different countries, so you will find that things vary between the lines. Basically it is personal preference :thumbsup:

Plus, females are supposed to be leaner then a Male, so possibly the bitch you met was just BIG and not you small :)

Here are some sites to look at: Take note of different head, bone size, coat types...

Kimyata

Havenden

Coleisha

Abaseiko

Shanspitz

Hi Slvaangel

My girl was actually a rehoming situation from Sydney. I had her flown up to me :) I contacted all the breeders down that way to find out if she happened to come from any of their litters, however I got not one reply :thumbsup: The orginal owner said she purchased her from a breeder, hence the fact I contacted all the breeders I could find listed, but sadly got no response.

So the litters you have tend to look leaner as opposed to stocky?? We currently have her and a Shitzu we inherited from my sister, however we would love another JS. Having said that, knowing how excentric they are, we are a little hesistant?!

That really sad that you didn't get a response, there has been a number of JS in the pound in NSW I have noticed (for a rare breed anyways). Apparently there is a puppy farmer down that way... so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?

My website is Kimyata, so if you have a look you will see what I am breeding for. I do however have smaller bitches (13 - 13.5") and I like it that way, you should really be able to tell the difference between a male and a female. But of course this is just my personal opinion.

You will find as your bitch gets older she will calm down a little, but they never grow out of that cheeky nature of theirs.

All the best with your girl, it great to have a happy ending for a rescue :laugh:

Hi Slvaangel,

I just showed your website to my husband, and straight away he said he knew of your kennel as he had emailed you in the past. In fact, he told me he had e-mailed you a picture of our JS, Panda. He remembered you had said Panda was cute.

I am very interested in the four different types of Spitz. Where would we be able to get information to compare the four types? I have been to quite a few sites, but I have never seen any comparisons of the four types.

By the way, your dogs are gorgeous. I wish you were located in Sydney as we are thinking of getting another JS when we return from overseas in January.

Panda's mum :laugh:

Hi Slvaangel,

Had a look at your website, I feel my girl is of the same look as your bloodlines. I hope that my girl didn't come from a puppy farm, but that is something that is out of my control, and I guess I am just lucky to have such a awesome dog :laugh: I have actually been in contact with Havenden in the past, in relations to Cola :laugh: He is just gorgeous!!!! I see they have just had a litter. Have you always only breed JS or other breeds as well?

Hi Panda's mum,

When I say types, I don't mean distinctly different breeds, I mean different features such as a thicker muzzel, more coat, bigger bone, etc. They are all the same breed just variations in 'type'. Does that make sense.

It is in the Japanese Spitz book written by Marco Pascino - http://www.almarvens.org/. Excellent book and a must have for JS lovers :laugh:)

I remember Panda... When you are back from overseas if you need any help finding a puppy just let me know.

Hi budhatara,

My Mum breeds Cavaliers, and I have been in the dog world since I can remember. I started showing when I was 9 and got my first JS at 14... so Yes I have always had JS...

Yes, Havenden has just had a litter... well actually half of them have already gone to their new homes now :laugh: Just one girl left.

Cola is beautiful, I have two of his children so I may be biased :laugh:

All the best with your girl...

Thanks for all your comments. I have done a lot of research on the lovely JP and I think mine is on the tall side. I work hard at keeping his food down (he loves food) and feed him vegetables as treats. I still think he has been measured incorrectly as I can get no where near that size when I measure (I know he is hard to measure). He loves agility and seeing all his friends so I will probably continue to compete but I would like to hear from another agility person to know how they keep their Jap Spitz motivated. As I previously said Kumo can be very good when he wants to be but usually at a trial he turns off - every JP owner has probably experienced this - whats in it for me! or "not today thanks"