Protection Training..?

J:

I suppose the only way to tell, is to send a stranger, neighbour to the door when im out???

K9: yes you can increase guard drive but test first with a stranger see if you need to.

J:

have you ever published a book, or dvd?

K9: have started the DVD, will finish it one day lol, book I have wriotten 50 page manual on how to train with the e collar, thats it for now...

J:

I WANT to understand all this. She loves to play, so could I use her 'play drive' to train her???

K9: yes.... but not very effective, your better to use guard drive.. its easier triggered under stress.

J:

I have control in almost every way except her protective side.

K9: this is because what you call her protective side is in reality her defensive side (survival mode).

Difficult to control how much or how little effort the dog wants to put into saving its own life.

This is just one reason we dont train dogs in defence drive a lot.

J:

How can I stop her from being 'loving' towards everyone, without turning her nasty. I just want her to have indifference/curious nature towards strangers NOT her bathing them with kisses.

K9: In reality you would be trying to change the positive association she has with people, which given her breed is part genetic, & that only possible with high element of stress.

It would be more achieveable & fair to train her to trigger more easily in guard drive at your home.

Given your amount of interest in this, I suggest you consider booking a lesson, two hours in private consult with me will make things very clear. Having that said, we are booking Feb 06 at the earliest now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, K9, let me say thank you very much for your time and effort and free advice, yay! ;)

Secondly, Jinta, thank you for the thread, very similar to what I'm going through and so is helping a lot.

Ok now....I know I'm probably asking too much but is there anything I can look for or expect of a 4 month old Bullmastiff puppy to see if he has any guarding drive? I'm thinking, if there's not much naturally there the sooner I start teaching techniques the better or is it better to wait until they are older and hopefully have more confidence?

I thought I may have seen something in him the other day. I have a visiting dog at the moment, litter sister to Kara (both 10 months old) they got in a rank fight (Kara tried to steal toy and Tilly didn't appreciate it) and Duke (Bullmastiff puppy) came out from his sleeping spot and barked at them. Is this perhaps guarding of Kara or me or just playing or nothing?

Given your amount of interest in this, I suggest you consider booking a lesson, two hours in private consult with me will make things very clear. Having that said, we are booking Feb 06 at the earliest now.

How about in Brisbane :mad or a recommendation of someone local?

M:

.I know I'm probably asking too much but is there anything I can look for or expect of a 4 month old Bullmastiff puppy to see if he has any guarding drive?

K9: you need to be aware of the development period your dog may be going through before doing any type of testing, see www.k9force.net/develop.html

There are tests that can determine these levels as early as 6 weeks.

M:

I'm thinking, if there's not much naturally there the sooner I start teaching techniques the better or is it better to wait until they are older and hopefully have more confidence?

K9: wait until your dogs temp is firm now.. then you can enhance the genetic nature of the dog, just know that you cant build what isnt there..

M:

Is this perhaps guarding of Kara or me or just playing or nothing?

K9: could have been many things, the sound of the bark could help me tell you..

M:

How about in Brisbane biggrin.gif or a recommendation of someone local?

K9: Brisbane is no problem, set it up & I be there. lol.

There are some protection trainers in Brisbane, some I have met & wateched work a dog, & I cannot recommend them.

Others I have spoken to on the phone & or net & I have some good feelings about them, but to recommend someone, I need to meet them face to face, so I cant help..

Yup, he's teething and he already has bite inhibition. I taught this via yelping like a puppy when he bit too hard when he was younger. Have I lessened any chance I had of him being 'menacing' or simply of biting effectively? And I haven't seen any dominance behaviour with me, hopefully I'm not just missing it!

wait until your dogs temp is firm now

What age would you say that is?

could have been many things, the sound of the bark could help me tell you..

Wasn't his playing bark, wasn't an aggressive bark either (in fact, never heard one of these). Seemed like it could have been telling them off (a bit leaderish). Short barks, repeated with a bit of a gap while standing at a half metre distance from the fighters as I broke it up. His tail was up and still, no growling.

Brisbane is no problem, set it up & I be there. lol.

;) Sounds expensive.

M:

Have I lessened any chance I had of him being 'menacing' or simply of biting effectively?

K9: it will take you longer if you wanted him to bite than if you hadny taught him this.

M:

And I haven't seen any dominance behaviour with me, hopefully I'm not just missing it!

K9: he doesnt have to be dominant over you, rather just ascertive.

M:

What age would you say that is?

K9: 5 - 9 months, but its more watching for him being outgoing & independant.

M:

Sounds expensive.

k9: lol.... read the Victorian workshop thread, no one there was talking about money? fofl...

:mad OK K9 thanks again, :mad

I think its time I do make a booking, even if it is for Feb,06.

I think a consult will be beneficial for both Jinta and myself, as we had lessons of basic obiedience at puppy age, with Hanrob guy, Steve someone...?Cant recall his name ATM.

Time for more private lessons....this time,...with K9! :mad

I am guessing that after the initial consult we see what needs to be worked on, and go from there?

How do I book in, do I have to go through your site??

I think its valuable spending some 'time and $$' on Jinta, to me, its priceless to gain a good understanding of my dog- its time and money well spent on a furkid I share my life with. ;)

K9 my diary is also mapped out a bit, but I have Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays free. Have yet to buy an 06 diary!!

Ok...so we are 1/2 way there...im 'motivated' to come see you, now got to get Jinta feeling the same. I cant wait to see you work K9.

Edited by Jintanut