Herding (?) Lessons (melbourne)

I thought I had better start a new topic as this question might get lost in the Sydney one.

I know from another forum member here that she can take her dog to sheep dog lessons - with real sheep!

Is there anything like that in Melbourne? Is that what "herding" is?

They would have to pretty bullet-proof sheep wouldn't they to cope with a beginner dog?

Hi KK.

A few of us went to a beginners herding day a while ago. It was great, none of the DOL dogs had been near a sheep before I dont think.

You could maybe pm the guy who took it. He does private lessons I'm sure.

It was HEAPS of fun for the dogs. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Oh, here is that thread, its a bit long.....

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...topic=40256&hl=

Hedds - that herding place is in Arundel Rd isn't it?

Kiz, there is a place near the Airport that runs herding lessons for beginners up. The guy is very good, my friend's staffy x kelpie has just started herding - I think she's up to her 3rd or 4th lesson and she's brilliant.

My friend raves about the trainer there.

They would have to pretty bullet-proof sheep wouldn't they to cope with a beginner dog?

They are usually specially selected "training sheep", for a group of total beginners. Once sheep have been worked by dogs for a while, they become "dogged", and almost tame- they don't get so upset by dogs or people. Usually beginners' clinics use sheep that are well-dogged initially, but hopefully not too heavy (hard to shift). Occasionally over-dogged sheep start to stand up to dogs, and challenge them, so they are usually sifted out.

Once dogs get started, they tend to use different sorts of sheep- some lighter (more flighty) and sometimes some heavier or challenging sheep, so the dogs have to learn to adapt.

The clinics aimed at total novices often assess your dog on leash, and may leave a long-line on new dogs, so they are easier to catch and stop. The instructor will usually be in the pen with dog + handler, and if dogs go feral and bite or chase, they are usually physically blocked (with rake etc).

Its interesting to watch, even if you aren't working a dog, and most people find it easier to learn from outside the pen- its quite scarey for a total beginner with a new dog, and hard to know where you should be standing or moving.

The airport? Heck, I've got an e-tag! :thumbsup:

Could someone PM me the details on who to contact there? or what the place is called so I can look it up in the phone book?

Thanks for the explanation/description mjk - glad to read how controlled it all is (for the sheeps' sake).

and "DOL' - goddit! :rolleyes:

Hi guys.

I am the guy that runs the herdng school near the airport. Herding lessons are available to anyone and any dog wanting to give it a go, from beginners to experienced. The sheep are professionals and know what they are doing.

We will also be running another full day workshop real soon.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

You can email me on [email protected] if you are interested or PM me.

Cheers,

Dave.

Oh Dave, we are definately coming back!!! We all had such a great day. :thumbsup:

Might have to be after xmas though as its so hard to agree on a date this close to the 'silly season'.

(psst, we need help bad. Banjo and I have been "practising" on the poor half tame ducks that live on my dam. Um, I think I've created a few herding terms no one will have ever heard of before - in fact, some of them dont resemble herding at all I dont think :rolleyes: ) :rofl: :D

Edited by Hedds

Might have to be after xmas though as its so hard to agree on a date this close to the 'silly season'.

(psst, we need help bad. Banjo and I have been "practising" on the poor half tame ducks that live on my dam. Um, I think I've created a few herding terms no one will have ever heard of before - in fact, some of them dont resemble herding at all I dont think :thumbsup: )

After Xmas is great.

Don't worry I use some pretty obscure comands to like - "what the *%# are you doin", "by crikey" and many many more :rolleyes:

See you soon.

Dave.

Yeah when things settle down I'd love to go again. It was a LOT of fun and we had so many turns and chances to work with our dogs.

Nat

I'm just wondering how 'sheep doggy' my dog really is. She is absolutely fascinated by them (as stopovers on the Hume Highway have shown), yet the two times she's actually got close to one (thru the bars of a mobile petting farm at street carnivals) she's sniffed them and wagged her tail.

Perhaps she thinks they're a marramer and wants to play? :thumbsup:

I'm just wondering how 'sheep doggy' my dog really is. She is absolutely fascinated by them (as stopovers on the Hume Highway have shown), yet the two times she's actually got close to one (thru the bars of a mobile petting farm at street carnivals) she's sniffed them and wagged her tail.

Rather her sniff and wag than chomp and taste :thumbsup: