Cruciate Ligament Ruptures

Thank you very much for your well wishes Corine :mad ! I feel a bit better today, but the guilts still hit every now and then, especially when i see her bounding about outside!!!

Yes you are lucky to have only gone through it once... although Duncan is young, but with Chloe being a little older I feel bad putting her through it again. I have weighed the odds though and think it's for the best. I think of her as my old girl but she is only 8 (just) so she could have another 8 years left in her yet... and I certainly wouldn't want her to suffer that whole time.

So trying to remain optimistic... another tough few months ahead, but we'll get there.

Thanks again, I will keep updating on her progress. I had to back out of a huge work function on Thursday because I know she will be coming out of hospital then, and I have my priorities... and I know I will be missing her like crazy by then!!!! Work won't be impressed though... oh well, the bill will have been paid by then!!!

Give little (big) Duncan a big hug from me, just cause he's so adorable!!!

Love,

Kel

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello... well surgery has been done, no going back now!!! Apparently she came through well and the operation went well. The surgeon scared me with lots of scary theoreticals on what could happen should she not be kept quiet etc, which he didn't do last time so it has really scared the hell out of me. Hopefully she will behave better this time since she has been through it all before.

I feel happy that she has come through it, sad that I have done it to her, guilty and also hopeful that it will help her. Also worried that we will get her through it all over again.

The surgeon did mention that she had some arthritic change in her leg, but nothing much more significant than her other leg and he said it should be manageable. He had to trim and remove the meniscus again in this leg as it was totally ruptured and damaged, which is no surprise as it was this right leg that went first... but her left leg got operated on first because it was thought to be causing more pain at the time.

So guys, I'm really nervous... but through my tears this morning dad told me that I was doing the right thing and that she would be running around like a greyhound one day!!! Something to give me hope to look forward too!!

Love,

Kel and poor little Chloe :rolleyes:

Hi Kel,

I'm happy tp hear Chloe came through the surgery OK :rofl: . The surgeon is doing the right thing even if he is preaching to the converted :rolleyes: . Remember not to rush things, you know the healing takes time now.

Cheers,

Corine

Thanks Corine, yes I am going to try to be even more careful this time if it's even possible... we are almost there, so no risks.

Corine, does Duncan do all the normal doggy things now? I mean play rough and tumble, jump and run around maniacally like a normal dog now? No restrictions whatsoever etc? I guess I'm thinking way in advance here... but just want to prepare my family for when she is healed and the level of activity that I would like Chloe to have. I probably will not have her playing rough games again (although at her age she does not play so rough anymore - grown out of puppy stage), and perhaps no vigorous jumping games with balls etc, but otherwise fairly normal. I guess this is a silly thought, considering that she is not a puppy anymore and doesn't go mad (save for the exceptional zoomies)... I just like to be prepared I guess.

I suspect that Antoinette is also playing it a little on the safe side and will probably for a while with little Mallee, especially seeing she had such a huge operation. But Antoinette, what level of activity are you expecting Mallee to have in the future... say in a year or so? I'm just curious I suppose.

Well I spoke to vets last night and they said Chloe was doing well in recovery and was fast asleep. May have been just to palm me off, but it sure helped me sleep better to believe it!!! She was probably screaming the house down... :rolleyes:

Hehehehe!!

Love,

Kel

Hel Kel,

So glad the op went well and as planned. Give Chloe a special hug for me when you pick her up!! Remember you have done the right thing by her and in the long term it will be well worth it - she will try to make you feel guilty i am sure with those poor puppy eyes she will be putting on, but hang in there and remember you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes. At least you have been through the whole recovery process before and know what to expect! !

As for what we expect out of Mallee over the next 12 months or so, i am really not sure. We have never been advised by the surgeons on what to expect other than she will make a perfect pet but will not be an athlete. Mind you that being said, she seems to be basically back to where she was before the op, except that she is not as fit and can't walk as far but she will get her fitness back i am sure and be able to walk further. She runs around the house like an idiot, jumps on and off our bed like a mad man, which is basically impossible to stop as she is going through a stage were getting in trouble must mean play time. We are both really happy with her progress. We have decided that we will reintroduce her to other dogs probably in the next week or so, but no playing of course as that worries us both.

I must go - i just checked in to see what it happening, i am so busy at work at the moment i only have brief stops in at DOL at the moment.

Hang in there Kel - will be thinking of you, and checking in for updates.

lots of luv

Antoinette xxxoo

Thanks Antoinette!!! I just spoke to the vet nurse and she said that Chloe is doing well and being a good girl (not sure if I believe that one!!). She said that she is putting her leg on the ground and not holding it up, which she said they are very pleased with. They are not sure if she is using it to walk and putting a lot of pressure on it, but she is putting small amounts on when she has it on the ground which is good news.

I have ordered some Robert McDowells herbal treatments to help her along... some post operative mix and bone healing treatment. I'm not convinced herbal remedies work, but it's worth a shot if it will help her in any way.

Love,

Kel

Must be The Good Week! Keeping fingers crossed for everyone's progress!

We've been to Vet yesterday and were given "all clear" as well. Basically she can return to normal life. She still stands on 3, but runs at 100mph and jumps, and can stand on hind legs. So we will go back to agility slowly, and keep Stella on Sasha's blend.

Wow great news Koza!!! She must have healed well. It's weird that she stands on 3 legs only but will use all 4.... but they are funny creatures I suppose. I would be way too scared to put Chloe into Agility after her ops... that would be a funny sight with her little tubby belly!!! But as long as she takes it slowly I'm sure she will be fine. Hooray for Stella, and thank goodness she can get back to her normal doggy life!!!

Just one leg to get through now with Chloe and she will join the ranks of the able dogs again!!!

Thanks for the update Koza... maybe when Stella gets back into the swing of things you could post some action shots!!! Love to see them.

Hugs to Stella for being a clever girl!!!

Love,

Kel

Hi Kel,

Duncan is pretty much back to normal, the only giveaway is that he sometimes sticks the surgery leg out at a slight angle when standing. He also tends to have a floppy puppy like sit (sticks the leg out sideways rather than tucked up "Dog on the tucker box" style). He runs and jumps and zooms round like an idiot, he jumps up on the planter boxes in my courtyard and runs along the edges (they are wide enough to sit on). I had been advised by my surgeon that he would never have a completely normal stifle joint, the angle between Tibia and Femur was very severe (approx 75 deg). There is also some risk of early arthritis in the joint or infection from the plate/pin material but we were warned of this up front. I don't know if I would risk him in agility but he'll be fine to obediance and normal doggy activities.

Give Chloe a hug from Mr Duncan when she is home again :) .

Cheers,

Corine

The only major change is that Stella prefers an indoors life now :) She goes outside to pee and sniff, and reterns inside straight away. We are happy to keep her as an inside dog, as we had another brack-and-entry, so dog inside won't hurt. Solly seems to enjoj guarding the whole yard by himself, too. If Stella comes out, she dominates him , bites his ears and doesn't let him to go wherever he wants. Bitchy girl:)

GUESS WHO'S COMING HOME TONIGHT!!! HOORAY!!!

Spoke to the surgeon and she is apparently very well and bearing SOME weight on her leg. He doesn't expect her to have any problems, provided she is of course kept quiet (easy said!!).

I can't wait guys... missing her like crazy. Let the stress and healing begin!!! :rofl:

WELCOME HOME CHLOE!!!!

Please pass on lots and lots of get well hugs and kisses from the Mallee household. Been thinking of you guys and are glad to hear Chloe is well and safe and back home.

Did you or have you got an e collar yet?? I would have thought the hospital would have given you a free one when she was discharged.

Hope everyone else is going along as well as Chloe and Mallee seem to be.

Wow I'd forgotten what a roller coaster ride post op can be... :D

After an absolute fabulous weekend with Chloe, she was so behaved, quiet and walking soooo well that it was hard to tell she had had an operation. Well today is a different story. She is tentative on the leg, and limping. I rang the surgeon who advised to just keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours as she may have just banged it over night or something and it may subside, if not bring her back. She is very quiet today, although apart from her hesitation on the leg does not show any signs of problems. She is still eating with gusto, nose is cold, does not look distressed, no apparent swelling and wound looks good etc. So fingers crossed she has just jarred it a little.

I think the worry of it all may kill me :) ...

Please think healing thoughts for my girl, and that I will make it through her recovery and come out sane (hopefully not too late!!)!!!

Love,

Kel and Chloe

Hey Kel - she will be fine, i am sure you are worried over nothing. Maybe as the day before she was doing great guns she has overdone it a bit, and sore today!! Heres hoping anyway. Are her gums a nice lovely pink color?

Thanks for the update - special hugs to you both again.

Antoinette

No real news on the Mallee front -so i suppose the old saying no news is good news applies here

P.S. SENDING LOTS OF HEALING THOUGHTS YOUR WAY ALSO, but iam not too sure if i can help you out in the "sane" department, i think it takes a tad of "insaneness" to get through all of this.

Edited by malleerr

Thanks for the support Antoinette... I really need it at the moment. My mum is being no help or support at all at the moment, and it's making things really hard for Dad and i. Thank goodness I have 2 weeks holiday.. I just wish I could take Chloe away somewhere quiet, just me and her (and dad, he is so good and gives me breaks). I know that I'd worry alot less. I wish I could fast forward a month or so.

I'm so worried I could vomit, but trying to stay positive. If she is not better by Wednesday, she is going back as per the surgeon. At least that way I can know for sure. It's so hard to tell if Chloe is in pain. She has lived with the pain in her legs so she's not like other dogs and is fairly immune to pain.

Believe me my indigestion and stomach probs are getting a work out now. And you're right, you do have to be insane to get through this. I doubt a saner person would have done it all over again!!!!

Okay, that's my whinge and tomorrow is another (hopefully brighter) day.

I'm so glad that things are going so well for Mallee. You guys have been through alot, so now it's time for the rewards!!! No news is indeed GOOD news... Hopefully we won't be too far behind you now!!!

Thanks Antoinette!

Love,

Kel & Chlo

Hi All,

Well after a few weeks of good health Mallee has decided to give both Brock and I heart failure and become somewhat sick again. Every since she had all her ops we have had bouts of problems with her and diahorrea. With her getting a bout of it every month or so. Sometimes there has been a bit of blood spotting in the diahorrea. We spoke to her surgeon about this and he said as it was fresh blood and only a little that with Mallee being a bit of a scavanger that she has probably eaten something that has scratched her insides. Well over the last two months she has been really great and had no problems until Wednesday night.

We got home from work and the poor girl had messed in her cage, took her out made lots of fuss over her so she would not feel to bad, and seemed ok till about 7.30ish when she started vomiting and then had diahorrea. This settled and then a 4.30am in the morning she starting groaning and went out said and did a poo that had a fair amount of blood in it. I decided to go to work in the morning, leaving her out of the cage, with newspaper down so i could see if she did anymore what it was like. When i got home at lunch i nearly died :( she had had more diahorrea but the amount of blood on the newspaper really freaked my out. I collect what i could and made an appt for the local vets. She seems perfectly happy running around, playing gums are fine, nice nose????

The vet seems to think that she may have IBS or something similar. Would not send samples away??? But gave her an injection, antibotics for a week, and no food for 24 hours and then for a week only rice and steamed chicken????

I always had a feeling that she had something like this and have been wondering if her surgery could have caused it as she was fine with number 2s until she had all the ops.

Corine - i am sure it was Duncan who had the bowel problem - what was it that he had, his symptoms, and what do you feed him now??

Kelly i hope Chloe is doing well and now more dramas!

Thanks

Antoinette

Edited by malleerr

Ah Antoinette, I'm lost for words buddy. What your poor girl has been through, and that you guys have turned yourselves all but inside out to get her well... and now this. Just when you thought the worry was over.

I don't know alot about IBS, but it seems strange that she has been so good and to now have a bad attack such as this. Has anything in her diet changed recently? I'd hate to think that this has come about due to the ops she has had, but it seems odd for it to strike at the same times. However it could be a coincidence and may have just struck her when she was recovering and her body was in shock. It's also strange that the vet didn't want to send samples away for testing. Maybe they are trying to rule out simpler things such as infections or the like before testing for the more serious stuff? But I would think that seeing you had the sample it may as well be tested... I can't imagine getting a sample of diarrohea is all that pleasant.

I seem to remember Corine mentioning that Duncan was also on the bland old chicken and rice food for a while. Is that to test what foods inflame the tummy troubles?

Does she get bones regularly Antoinette? I had a dog that's tummy couldn't digest bone properly and she used to have alot of diahorrea and blood too as the bone pieces were scratching her insides. We then had to stop giving bones altogether (poor thing) and had to have the dentabone things for her teeth etc.

Anyway, please let me know if I can help in any way. I know you are probably at work and if you want me to scavenge around for info or something like that let me know.

Chloe is not doing as well as she did with the first leg. I think it's got to do with the fact that last time she was on painkillers but we haven 't been giving her any this time (so she doesn't try to do too much). She is limping occassionally and stands with very little pressure on it, if any. I panicked as she was really good at first and the surgeon has advised not to worry too much as this is where she should be at in her recovery. I guess it's hard as I'm comparing to the first leg but the circumstances are so different. But she is being as good as can be expected, and I'm really proud of her. It must be boring being confined to the same area all the time, but she's doing well. Back to the surgeon on Monday to get the stitches out and for a check up to ease my mind (which never stops thinking)!!!

Will keep you and Mallee in my thoughts and hoping it's nothing too serious for the poor little bugger. Please keep me updated on her progress.

Love,

Kel and Chloe (who sends big kisses to you all)