Cruciate Ligament Ruptures

Oops, I'm one day late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY MALLEE!!!! Yaay, the baby is one!!! :mad Did she get any pressie's for her birthday??

Gee she is a tough little bugger Antoinette... all she has been through and she's just a baby... what a trooper she is!!!

I'm so glad to hear that her progress is going so well. I think it's best to be safer than sorry, especially after all you guys have been through. But she's just about there, so you can enjoy having her back up and getting into mischief!!!

I spoke to Chloe's surgeon last week. He told me not to be disappointed with her progress at all (with regards to the xrays). He said he is really happy with her progress that she is making at each xray, and it just means she is in the 'delayed union' category, as opposed to the 'NON union' category... which means the bone doesn't bond at all. But he said she's definitely on her way. I had a really good talk with him and she is going back for him to re-evaluate her at end of April. I told him that she really is like a different dog compared to just a few months ago. She has been really naughty today cause my sister and hubby were here and she bounded around like an idiot... couldn't keep her down. So she is a bit limpy on her unoperated leg which I'm not happy about. But like you are experiencing with Mallee now, sometimes you're just not quick enough for the zoomies!!! I spoke to him about having her other leg done, and he is also a believer in better to be safe than sorry... and said that as long as she is not struggling on her unoperated leg, that he will delay it until her operated leg is 100% healed as he doesn't want any complications. So he advised not to rush if she is doing okay on it (which she is), and we will keep having her re-evaluated until her operated leg is fully healed. Probably a good thing cause with winter coming and all it might give her some pain etc. All in all, he made me feel really good about the way Chloe is going, so I was a happy chappy!!! My little girl is coming up to 8 years old at end of May... gee time flies, I remember picking her up when she was a tiny puppy like it was yesterday. It was definitely love at first sight!!!

Yes the wedding is finally over!!! It was actually for one of my best friends. It was absolutely hectic, but a great day. Now all the preparations are over, I can finally relax and have my weekends to myself again!!!

Well thanks for the update Antoinette. I'm really happy for you that it's all good news from your end. I hope all the others that have shared on this thread are doing well too... I wonder how Stella is doing?

Give Mallee a big birthday hug and kiss from Chloe and I. Here's hoping that after a very complicated first year the rest of her doggie life will be filled with lots of fun, playing, and special doggie happiness!!!

Lotsa love,

Kel and Chlo-Bo the red devil on her comeback!!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy 1st Birthday Mallee :rofl: !!!!! Duncan is almost 2, can you believe it? I was counting how many anasthetics he's had in his short life and nearly fell over, 6 alraedy! He's been so patient through it all a real little trooper.

Glad to hear Mallee is going well Antoinette, poor tyke has been through a lot too ;) . Hey Kels Chloe sounds like she's keeping you on your toes too, good to see :cheers: .

Cheers,

Corine

Hey guys, how is everyone and their pups going?

Well Chloe is going great guns... I'm sooo happy with the way she is progressing and getting better and stronger every day. Haven't been back to the surgeon yet (later in the month), but she is slowly reverting back to puppy days, always wants to play play play. Even the ball gets dropped at our feet again now (it was hidden for many months but she's found it and wants to go!!), and she sooooo wants us to throw it for her to chase, but I don't let her and make her sit a couple of metres away and throw it so she can catch it whilst sitting down. I guess it's not the same as the old days, but it's a start. Goodness, she bounces around for an old girl!!! She's been following me around like a bad smell (cause my mum is at work, I'm next favourite with my dad!!!) and I told her to go into the garage with my dad as it was raining... she continued to follow me and I joked with her that I would smack if she didn't go inside... well the bum went up in the air, she bounced up and down a few times, then POUNCED at me!!! And I mean, all 4 legs WELL off the ground!!! I nearly died, but she kept smiling, prancing and laughing at me... It horrifies me, but you know, to know that she feels well enough to do that tells me that we made the right decision with her. The hard yards have definitely been worth it, it's reversed the years on her like magic. Now that the hair has grown back, if I didn't tell people she had had an operation, no one would know.

I can only hope that everyone else is doing well also. Would love to hear some more updates!!!

Lots of love,

Kel and her little red girl

Hi All!!

Wow Kelly so glad to hear how well our lovely little Chloe is going. I have been checking for updates daily and must have missed your post yest. She sounds like she is once again enjoying life, which is just so brilliant for you all. YIPEE!!! Finally you can relax and enjoy your time with her between now and the next surgery. At least with the next op you have been there done that so you will be super prepared for everything.

Mallee has been going so well - its just soo exciting. OVer the long weekend she was out of the cage every day from about 5.30 am until 11ish at night OFF THE LEAD.......another YIPEE. She has been so well behave, we have only had the occassional zoomie which has been less than we expected. Although she has slipped over twice on the floor boards both times landing on her pelvis - which of course scared the hell out of me - but each time she has gotten straight back up given a shake and gone on her way with no signs of pain, swelling or stiffness, which is excellent. Her walking is improving all the time - there seems to be just no stopping her.

The sneaky little thing has even been climbing on the furniture when your back is turned. Reverting back to the old days much to Brock disgust who says that she has gone 6 months without being on the furniture why does she have to start back at it now. I don't mind the only reason i would stop her is if she could hurt herself, which again she does not seemed to be doing. I suppose with her hip joints gone there is not much back there that she can hurt besides her pelvis, and i am positive that it must have healed by now.

Our original surgeon Sam has been back in contact with us and is extremly happy with her progress and even said that he would be happy to let her go and be out of the cage totally, but would first want to confirm it with Guy as Guy has done the last lot of xrays etc.... So we are finally all getting there.

I could just go on and on about how good Mallee is going but i will not bore you all with it. I am just so glad that everything seems to be working out for all of us. Fingers crossed and touching wood that it stays this way. God knows our babies and all of us have been through some very rough times.

Hugs to you all and pats to the pooches.

Antoinette and little big Mallee Girl

Glad to hear both Mallee and Chloe are both doing so well, there is light at the end of the tunnel at last :laugh: . Nothing to report on Duncan's leg as it's been back to normal for a while now. On an encouraging note, Duncan has put on 1.7 kgs since we've discovered the cause of his tummy upsets :rolleyes: . We still have a way to go but it's a start.

Cheers,

Corine

Maleerr, that's great!

Well, what we are doing. Stella is still inside during the day, and mostly - when we are home. She actually does't want to go outside at all, unless it' for a walk, and I have to push her out for a wee before sleep:) Vet said, she can run up to an hour, but we need to keep an eye on her when she plays with Solly. She still limps a bit and stands on three. Same time she runs well, both trotter and gallop. So we think, she will gradually lern how to put weight just standing. It's probably not comfortable, but we dont notice pain when we sqeeze the knee. I recon, next week or two we see the vet for the last time, and she basically might return to a normal (almost) life after that. She is more concious with her runs now, too (thanks god, she's 4 already! Shoud get some brains :() )

Yes, they have birthday on the 1-st of May! Stella is turning 4, and Solly - 2.

Hi Koza - glad to hear that Stella is well, and is nearly back to a "normal life". Mallee also will not go outside now we literally have to drag her on her stomach outside to go to the loo if its is cold or raining. Its a constant battle to get her out there.

It must be the luxury of living inside for the last 5 months. But you would think by now she is hanging to get outside!!!!.....lol.....i can't work her out sometimes.

Anyway must be a flying post as i am running late.

Hope everyone else out there is doing well.

Kelly - how is Chloe going???? I am missing your updates.

Antoinette xxoo

I think Duncan has injured his leg again :D . Today he is hopping and kicking the leg out sideways. He's been tearing around like an idiot with Mel lately and may have slipped, I'm hoping it's just some soft tissue strain and not the plate or pins coming unstuck :cool: .

Cheers,

Corine

Oh Corine, I'm horrified. However, don't panic just yet. My surgeon told me that once the actual bone has healed over, that the plates and pins become redundant and if they come lose at that stage then it's no big deal as the bone is stable. Hoping this is the case with you guys as well, but I'm also hoping he's just jarred his muscle or something!!! Geez does it ever end???

Also glad to hear that Stella and Mallee are doing so well. It was a bit edgy with Stella there for a while, but to hear that the surgeon thinks she can return to a normal life soon is fantastic news. Looks like my girl is the only one lagging behind now... with the other leg and all.

But Chloe is doing fantastic. I just can't believe it... I know I've said it before but I never thought the surgery would turn out such wonderful results. It's all play play play now. She's back to cheeky and mischievious ways. She's just the best old girl... what can I say??? I'm just so excited at the way she is going. I will take her back to the surgeon in the next couople of weeks. It should be this week, but I've only just come off holidays and it's too busy here so I will wait till my next holidays in a couple of weeks (I have waaaay too many holidays accrued!!). No matter what the surgeon says this time (unless it's really negative) I will not be disappointed cause I can see the way she's going. I might have to start her on her cartrophen injections again though as she is getting a little slow in this colder weather with her unoperated leg.

Well Antoinette, after all you've been through, the least of your worries is Mallee being so naughty and not wanting to go out now!!! You would probably miss her too much as well!!! I'm so glad to hear that she is doing so well though, it's really such a relief. She's a little trooper that one. I find that with all the attention we've paid Chloe she gets a bit anxious if she is left on her own now. She settles fine but gets really excited should she hear someone approaching and sits and watches the doors and windows. What spoilt girls we have... but they deserve it!!!!

Hope to keep hearing regular updates, and hoping that it's nothing too serious for young Duncan...

Love, Kel and the red terror

Good Luck Kel - will be thinking of you both, fingers crossed that everything goes to plan and the new surgery can go ahead. Try not to bite those nails down too low.

Fido666 - hows Duncan going - i hope his leg is ok and that it was just a strain - thinking of you guys also.

Mallee is still gunning it along, i finally have my shadow back, every time i turn around there she is with her little tail wagging, its just fantastic to see.

Take care all and special hugs to Chloe and Duncan

Love

Antoinette and Mallee

Thanks Antoinette!!! It is still nerve wracking although I'm not as fussed anymore... I know she's good. I'm sort of hoping the next op can be post poned until it warms up a bit. I don't know what do you think? Do you think it's cruel to do it in the cold winter months? I want to also start her on Cartrophen again to see her through the worst of the cold ahead.

Will update as soon as I can. I feel positive that it will be good news....

Love,

Kel and Chloe

Hi Kel - i don't really see why it would be a problem to post pone the op until the weather warms up a bit. I would probably be thinking along the lines that you are, that if she can cope with it for a few more months, why not leave it until it is warmer so she will be more comfy with recovering. The cartrophen injections would probably get her through to spring. But, what ever you decide, whether to do it now or wait you are not being cruel. It may also be easier for you if you do it when its warmer, no getting up in the middle of the freezing night to do toliet runs......lol.....Have a talk to the vet, they might be in agreeance.

Let me know what you decide. And i am also sure it will be good news for you both!! Did she give you those "dont take me here" eyes when you took her back to the vets...poor little mite.....i am dreading the look on Mallee's face next time we take her to the vets. Her next op is to be desexed, and i am dreading it. I know its only a very minor every day op, but, i just hate that thought of putting her through it and more stitches etc when she has just began being somewhat normal again. But hey these things need to be done, would never forgive myself if she somehow ended up preggers or with some type of uterus infection or whatever, so it has to be done.

Take care of yourself, give Chloe a special hug and kiss from us 3 down here tonight when you get her, and hugs to you.

Keep in touch

Antoinette xo

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! SHE IS HEALED!!!! ;) :(:rofl::eek::rofl: :D :):rofl::rofl: :D

I can't believe it!!!! He said she is ready to go for her next op now. I asked the surgeon about the whole winter situation and he said he would prefer to do it sooner rather than later otherwise it will only degenerate further... sooooooo... perhaps next week or the week after will be THE week.

Oh I'm so happy... I can't tell you how much!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::(

Great News Kelly. Glad she has finally healed. You must be soo happy, like i can't tell!!!!

Make sure you let me know the date she goes in for the op, so Mallee and i can cross everything for you and Chloe.

She is not going to know herself in about 2 months time, hopefully, she will be like a brand new puppy, or atleast like a, maybe, 4 year old dog!!!

Great News.

Keep the updates coming

Love

Antoinette xo

Thanks so much Antoinette... it's great to be able to share such good news with someone who truly appreciates how exciting it really is!!! I'm just stoked...

It is highly likely that the little girl will go in next week. He gave me the option of leaving her there and doing it tomorrow, but selfish me wants a cuddle cause I'm so proud... and I want to spoil her a bit before she goes in. Hopefully will be next Tuesday, but we'll see how we go.

Will definitely keep you updated... it's scary, having to go through it all again... but I figure that by years end, she will be a new dog and all healed up!!!! Now THAT'S worth it all!!!

Good to hear that Mallee is still steaming ahead too... she has a really bright future now!!!

Lotsa love,

Kel and Chloe

Hi Kel and Antoinette,

Good to hear things are still on track for Chloe but I bet you are nervous about that next op Kel :) . I have to drag Duncan through the door at the vet's now, he hates the place (understandable).

Also glad to hear that Mallee is getting back to normal, it's the best feeling when you see them doing zoomies again.

Duncan seems to be over whatever it was but I'm keeping an eye on him nonetheless. I was home sick today and woke up with him snuggled next to me, Mel had crawled into her crate. They were so good being quiet all day :) .

Cheers,

Corine

Hi Corine!!! Yep I sure am nervous about the next op. I have decided next week but I'm such a chicken I haven't rang to make the appointment yet. She seems so good with only one leg operated on, but I know it's just a good day. I don't really want to do it, but I keep saying it's the best thing for her.... so, here we go again!!!

Chloe also hates the vets. She has a habit of jamming herself under the benches now when the lady comes out with the collar :)

Ah I should stop putting it off and make the appt... I will let you guys know!!

Good to hear that Duncan is okay. It's such a worry isn't it!!!

Love,

Kel and Chlo

Well guys, Tuesday is the day :) ... oh boy who would have thought I'd still feel so damn guilty. I feel bad putting her through it all again, but I keep reminding myself that it's best for her. Doesn't always work though.

I feel like crap about it, but it's a done deal now. So please keep my little red girl in your thoughts on Tuesday that all goes well. I can feel an attack of tears coming on again....

Will keep you posted.

Love,

Kel and Chlo