Cruciate Ligament Ruptures

:eek::) :D :rofl:

POOR FROGGY!!! I can only imagine the chaos!!! I'll bet it would have been hard to get her back into the cage with all that excitement going on!!! Maybe they could have been good friends and could have kept her company in her cage??? heheheeh!!! See all the good things she has to look forward to when she is all better!!!

And you're right, I'm sure it will all be fine, but I just wish SOONER!!! :D

I see you have also been through the same probs with the veterinary hospitals. I actually spoke to the receptionist who spoke to the emergency night vet who said they would get back to me... but nothing. I have spoken to the night nurses a few times, but whenever I do I feel slightly uneasy because of the vague answers... they are just not confident enough for me to feel good about it. You know? It's always "I'm sure that should be okay..." etc - but I want to hear "Yes that's okay" or "No that's not good". If I wanted half a$$ed answers I'd ask my mum!!! I did get to speak to a lovely emergency night vet once who called me back in the middle of her consultations and had reviewed Chloe's case before calling back and was very helpful and spent alot of time on the phone answering some of my concerns. So it hasn't been ALL bad, I just was upset that no one got back to me last night (which meant Chloe didn't get a pain killer) and the fact that I can never seem to see the surgeon. And when I do get to speak to him he just wants to tell us the news and then get rid of us (it seems). Like there is no time for questions or queries. I know these guys are really busy, but when your little one has had major surgery that you've paid thousands for, surely they must understand our concerns. I mean, many of us have never had to go through these things so don't really know whether we are headed in the right direction or not. For me personally, the letter he gave me after the surgery (that was the only after care info we got) I actually misread it totally and missed one of her appts - I felt dreadful, but it was only a consultation and I felt relieved that her legs were doing well so I knew I didn't mess up too badly - but still I panicked big time. So it's easy to do. And geez, it's not like they don't charge for the consultations etc!!! I don't know, it's just a whinge and I guess it becomes more prevalent when I am nervous about how she is really going... I would have changed hospitals had they not done a damn good job with the surgery and the results hadn't been so great. Ah, what do you do? I can't believe that the night nurses at your surgery yelled at you. How rude. Luckily at our hospital the nurses are so kind and sympathetic and encourage people to come visit or call etc. But I think they only hire them for a month at a time or something like that so it's always someone new. I always remember when a lady was sitting in the waiting room crying (she must have had bad news about her pet) and they came out with some tissues and sat and comforted her and held her while she walked out the back to see her pet. I thought that was nice.

Well I certainly will wish you well with Mallee's first swimming adventure. How is she around water in general? Don't worry about it too much anyway, it might take her a while to get used to, but I'm sure she will take to it eventually once she gives it a try. I'd love to see pics!!! Are you taking her to a doggie pool? If so, I'm sure the people there will give advice on how to get her going if she is hesitant.

Okay I've been typing forever so better get on and do some work!!! :mad I might give a quick call home and see if my little girl has picked up any today.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All! I am new around here (in this forum anyway). I have a greyhound who has been diagnosed with CCL, and I must say reading this topic here has been extremely informative, not to mention entertaining. We are off to see the surgeon on Monday, but I feel confident from having read your posts that I will have the right questions to ask and I will understand what he tells me. I just wanted to say thanx to you all, and good luck with your gorgeous babies! :love:

Hello New Age Outlaw - good luck and keep us posted. Would love to see pics!!!

Hey Kelly,

Mallee went swimminng on sat and LOVED IT - YAY!!!!!!

So here are some pics for you - i could not getting any of her actually swimming as we were to busy leading her around the pool, but hopefully next time we go i will get some.

Here she is after her first big swim - 12 LAPS!!!!

post-22-1139181377.jpg

Edited by malleerr

Hi New Age Outlaw and welcome! I am so glad that you have found this thread helpful. It's such a stressful time, so the more info you have the better chance you have at making a decision you feel really comfortable with. I know that even though I was scared witless, when the surgeon explained all our options the one thing that I didn't worry about was which decision I wanted to make. All I needed to know was whether surgery would be beneficial, and I was off. I had already picked the type of surgery through all the research. And although I have had moments of doubt, in my eyes it has really paid off and all the stress, worry and sacrifice have all been worth it. The small rewards mean so much to all of us going through these things. I just can't wait to see my little girl going for her first walk over the park again. It's something I dream about. And I know when she does I will cry like a baby. So good luck for your appt with the surgeon, I hope they can give you some really encouraging news. Please let us know how you go.

Antoinette, I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVED the pics. Doesn't she look like the happiest thing ever!!! I'm so glad that she enjoyed herself, a tiny bit more pressure and stress relieved right? She will build those muscles back as soon as you know it and look like Arnie dog!!! She is just the most adorable thing and you must be so proud of her and so happy that she's all on her way to a brand new puppy again!!! Can't wait to see more pics... I was going to take some of Chloe this weekend, she is always posing... but I've been really busy with hair and make up trials for my friends wedding. Will add some asap.

So happy for you Antoinette... :D for Mallee for being such a smart girl!!!

Thanx Kelly and Malleerr! We had a consult with the surgeon this afternoon, and I felt well prepared because of the research I had done on the internet and the info I gained from this forum. The result is Ernie will have Xrays and hopefully will undergo TPLO in the morning. I say hopefully because the xrays need to rule out the dreaded "C" word - apparently sometimes a bone tumour can cause the rupture of the ligament. So, all being well he will get his op tomorrow, and home the day after that. I'm sure I will be back here heaps over the next few weeks with loads of questions!! Cross your paws for us! Cheers! PS Here's a pic of my boy!

post-22-1139214682.jpg

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Wow Ernie is a bit of a spunk New Age Outlaw!!! He's gorgeous. I truly hope everything goes well and the operation is a success. It's a looooooong hard road post op, but the effort is well worth it when you finally see some results. Please keep us updated and of course, I will have all fingers and toes crossed, and I will ensure Chloe has all paws crossed (even bad ones!!) for a great outcome for Ernie and for you to avoid stressing out too much!!!

It's a really tough time now, so please feel free to come and vent all you like!!!

Best of luck! :o hope Ernie is back up and about in no time. Look forward to some good news... :D

Hi all! Unfortunately it was bad news; in fact the worst. The cause of Ernie's limp was bone cancer, and faced with the various options, I decided I couldn't watch him get sick and die, so I made the hardest decision and had him PTS this afternoon. Thanx to all of you for your help and support -at least I have the wonderful memories of the fun times we had together,as well as his three gorgeous babies that were born just over two weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Oh I'm so terribly sorry New Age Outlaw. That's the worst news ever. A very brave decision, but at least Ernie will no longer be in any pain.

I am just speechless as I really wasn't expecting such sad news... I'm so sorry.

RIP Ernie :rolleyes: I'm sure he will have plenty of friends to frolick with over the bridge. No pain, no worries.

NAO - I am so sorry - i don't know what to say

Hugs to you and your family, special pats to your pups.

Tresure your memories and know that he is now pain free and will watch over you and be waiting for you at the bridge.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused:

Run free Ernie :rolleyes:

Antoinette x

Hi All,

Just thought i would update you on Mallee. Not quite sure how i am feeling at the moment, well i am - I WISH this was all over and done with. Mallee has been coming along so well of late, and then all of a sudden something is wrong!!! We are not sure what is going on with her, besides driving us crazy!! We took Mallee swimming on Tuesday night - she had a lovely swim handled it well, although be bit tired, she seemed well and happy enough, until it was time to get her out of the car, which we have to use the sling for and have always done so. When Brock was getting her out of the car she let out one of those terrible screaming yelps, but was fine once back on the ground, then did the same thing getting up the front step. Obviously Brock and I both were a bit stressed by it all considering that since her pelvis collasped we have not heard any signs of pain at all from her even after all the ops. We let her lay down on the lounge room floor to have a rest thinking maybe her muscle were cramped or something gave her a massage and put her back to bed with no problems. She was up and about in the cage doing her normal dance routine (much to our disgust) and seemed fine until it was time to take her out of the cage for her last toliet break of the night, when she step out of the cage with Brock's arm resting underneath her belly (the step out is about 5-6cm off the ground) she let out another screaming yelp, but walked fine out to the back yard, squated to pee in the sling fine and went back to bed fine, stepping up into the cage with no pain???????? Its so hard to describe how we are feeling at the moment, so many things running through our heads, so we decided to phone the surgeon first thing the next day and ask if we could have the xrays done early (i think they are due in about 2-3 weeks) as we were wondering if one the screws may have backed completely out - Guy (our surgeon) did not want her to come in and told us not to worry unless she is in constant pain over the next few days as he does not want to keep putting her under for x-rays esp if they show the pelvis has not fully healed yet and she would then have to go under again in another couple of weeks.........He said he and our original surgeon have spoken about Mallee several times since last x-rays and they both cannot see how or why she would take a backwards step in her progress at this time. All that said and done it does not stop Brock and i worrying. Brock is an absolute wreak - i have never seen him like this before - he is really starting to block me out and not taking it very well at all, he said to me last night he just wishes it would go one way of the other (well or not well). I just don't know what to do anymore this has been the longest 4 months of my life, the most stressful thing i have ever been through, just when you think you can see that light out the end of the tunnell some bloody Y%*^&^*# comes and blows it out !!!!! :love:

Iam so sorry for rambling on - but i just need to get this all off my chest...

Anyway just to add to our stress Mallee is on heat at the moment, as we have not been able to get her desex yet cos of all the ops that she has had since 4mths old, and i think this is adding to her weird behaviour. Last night while trying to take her out for a walk she started to stare straight up at the sky and then started jumping up and around, then just stopped dead in her tracks went rock hard and would not move and had this really weird expression on her face, we literally had to drag her by the collar inside, where she finally calmed down. I think she may have caught a wiff of something as there were several neighbouring dogs barking and carrying on so maybe they can smell her and she can smell them. i have never owned a female dog before so all of this weird on heat behaviour is new territory to me! Does anyone know how long she will carry on like this for and if bitches do go a bit silly when in heat.

So to cut a long story short we have decided to cut her breaks back down to 4 a day only for the toliet until she is a bit better.

Again i am sorry for my ramblings on but just need to vent a bit and get things of my chest. I so want Mallee to be better. Brock and i have been together nearly 13 years and have never argued so much as we are now, it is just so emotionaly taxing. You think things are going well and then you get hiccups, i suppose it is all part of the progress but also so worring at times, i can't help but worry and sometimes think of the worse.

Just re-read my first post and realised i forgot to add that maybe it could be her syatic nerve (not sure if thats how you spell it) as that was stretched and damaged when her pelvis collasped. Not sure if that would cause her any pain or not.???? I am such a worry wort!!!!!!!!!

Hi Malleerr,

Sorry to hear about your set back with Mallee :laugh::scold::rofl: . Duncan was a baby too when he did his leg, it's so hard when they are so young and can't do all the normal puppy things. You mentioned Mallee had been swimming, was she seen by a Physio before she started. I ask because our Physio consulted with the surgeon who advised no swimming for the 1st 6 weeks after the op but that the underwater treadmill was OK. Is it possible Mallee has pinched a nerve? I've had lower back pain myself and it is not fun, imagine a poor dog who can't tell you where it hurts :rofl: .

Duncan had a full physio consult before his 1st UT session just to make sure he had sufficent ROM to handle it. The 1st session they had to go in with him as he kept going sideways when the idea is to stay straight. By the 3rd session he had worked out that if he pulled up all 4 paws he could float, lazy bugger :confused: . They said he is only the 2nd dog out of hundreds who have used the UT to work that out, the other was a Golden Retriever. Tell your surgeon something is not right, don't think you are being a pest.

Chin up,

Corine