Cruciate Ligament Ruptures

Yay!!! We have just had news from our surgeons that Mallee can start swimming and doing short leash walks unsupported by the sling :eek::laugh::rofl::laugh::confused:

I am soo happy as Brock and I have been starting to worry about Mallee's mental health with all this time locked up in the cage (3mths), and as she seemed to us to be going so well, wanted to start doing something extra with her. This is a very big step, as happy as i am that we are able to start exercising her, i am a little worried at the same time, and definatley wont be pushing it to much or her for that matter.

We will probably do more swimming with her than walking, until her muscle in the back legs start to build up a bit. I wonder though how we are going to get her to swim as she has never seen water in that much volume before, and hope to god that she does not get scare as we really need her to able to swim as it will be the best thing for her.

Yay finally i can see that little light at the end of the tunnell!!!!!! I can't stop smiling!!

How are you and Chloe going Kelly? Hope all is well in your end of the woods!!!

Hope everyones doggies are all well and on the mend!!!!!

Edited by malleerr

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI All

This is such an emotional thread.

I am so relieved your Grandma is okay Kelly - I was crying then turned the page and started laughing. My goodness I can only imagine how you feel.

I am so glad Chloe is improving so much. Poor baby must really be feeling the bad leg now, but its only a matter of time till she is perfect again :confused:

Brilliant news about Mallee. :laugh:

Hopefully the swimming will be great fun. Once in the water hopefully the feeling of freedom will kick in.

We need swimming pics :rofl:

Keep us posted.

Still no definites on Wags - great days and then a limpy one :laugh:

Karen

Hi Antoinette, I didn't see your post before.... but what GREAT NEWS!!! I can't believe how exciting it must be for you and Brock. I am sure that Mallee will not have too many problems seeing that she has been locked up for so long. ANY chance at freedom would be greatly welcomed don't you think??? Hehehehe!!! But to be able to go on little walks as well, how fantastic. Yep, the light is certainly getting closer now... Let us know how little Mallee enjoys her newfound piece of freedom... and action shots are a must!!!

Hi Karen, thanks for your support also. I can tell you it's a great relief. Sometimes it feels like the weight of the world on my shoulders, but we've certainly all been there haven't we???!!! Chloe is going okay. She has limpy days on her unoperated leg, but the past couple of days have been good. I will make an appointment with her surgeon next week and get the verdict. I am excited, but also so very, very nervous. I am afraid of any type of bad news, but she walks so well on it that it can't be all bad. Please direct all crossed fingers, paws and prayers Chloe's way. I'm also a little nervous about having to go through it all again with the other leg, but the sooner the better and she will be back to health again. I keep telling my homesick friend in Cambodia that by the time she is back in Oz in late March, we will both be celebrating not only her return, but Chloe's return to somewhat normality. I can't wait. All I can say is it's been worth every cent, every argument, every bit of stress and every emotion felt. And I'm sure Antoinette will certainly agree with me, especially when it's starting to pay off so well for her and little Mallee.

I'm sorry to hear that Wags is still having good/bad days. Same with Chloe before her op. I couldn't bear it at all. Good days of happiness, then bad days of tears having to help her up and down. It's been a very emotional ride, you're absolutely right. But when the day comes that she can go over to the park across the road and be able to enjoy her walk instead of being in pain and lagging behind... well that's all the repayment I will ever need. Even now to see her trying to get back to normal makes me well with tears. People have laughed in my face for the amount of money that I, and many others have paid for their furry friends, but I'd do it again in a second and they do not get the rewards of being so loved and seeing our friends eyes light up with hope and life again.

Karen, have you had Wags evaluated by a vet or surgeon for his injury? If so, what is the verdict?

Okay for a laugh, I thought I would surprise Chloe with a gift of a new ramp to help her up any stairs/into cars when both of her legs are better. Well, all excitedly I set it up and tried to convince her to have a go. She was excited, but wouldn't have a bar of it. Then I started crawling up and down to show her how it's done... and the cheeky thing sat at the bottom half barking, half laughing at me. We've had several goes at trying to convince her, but she just doesn't think it's for her so far... She either barks/laughs hysterically at us, or just walks far enough away to be out of the firing line and watches us making fools of ourselves!!! Naughty thing!!!

Anyway, sorry for the long post... just wanted to say hi to everyone and celebrate the good, comiserate the not so good news.

Keep in touch all!!!

Oh we have an appointment to have xrays done on Wednesday. I am sooooo nervous. Fingers crossed everyone that it will all go okay for my little girl. :rofl:

She's been doing really well on her operated leg so hopefully that's a good sign that all will be well!!!

Hey Kelly,

Have got my fingers and toes crossed for you & Chloe. and Mallee has her paws crossed!!! :rofl::laugh:

Make sure you keep us posted - when we took Mallee in for her last lot of x-rays Brock and i paced up and down i reckon for about 4 hours and ended up going back into the vets early cos we were going to bust - we just had to know the result. Poor little Mallee was still asleep when we got there......

Mallee has been doing well, although up to mischeif at the moment, loving all this extra time out of her cage. We have been taking her for little walks around the front and back yard without the sling, and she is loving it!!! Although now she has had that taste its harder to keep her in the cage......Can't wait to start her swimming altough having problems trying to find a suitable pool to swim her in :rofl::rofl:

All the best again - update is a must with pics - i will try and get some action shots off Mallee girl enjoy her bit of freedom over the next few days.

Antoinette :rofl:

Hey guys, well she is there... do any of you feel the same way... can you believe i cry just to leave her there for xrays? I think I am insane. After many kisses, cuddles and sad puppy eyes she is off to have her xrays.

I'm hoping I don't start ringing them every 15 minutes or so to ask if she is ready or not. I just can't wait to get the results. Although I'm nervous, I have a really good feeling that it will be good news. I guess it comes from how well her leg has been, especially in the last 2 weeks or so. She is using it to fully bend to sit down and get back up, which although it doesn't sound exciting, after months of seeing her throw it straight under her and lower herself with her front legs, it's now just the most amazing sight!!! I am so proud of her, cause it can't be easy for an older dog to have all these changes.

I will keep you guys updated and give you the verdict asap!!!

Antoinette, i'm glad to see that you had the same anxiety problems... I don't feel so insane now!!! How is Mallee doing with her new found freedom? Has she started her swimming lessons yet?!!!! I can only imagine how much she is loving it all, being able to be a normal puppy again - but I fully agree that getting her back into her cage would be pretty tough - she's not silly!!! Has your surgeon mentioned anything about the earlier onset of arthritis or degenerative joint disease for Mallee? If so, what sort of time frame did they think it would likely rear it's ugly head?

Well, expect the good (fingers crossed) news sometime today!!!

Hey Kelly,

Good luck today - you were one of the first thoughts that came into my head this morning - i know what you are going through all the butterflies etc. Brock and i were hopeless when we took Mallee back for the x-rays, you would think that it gets easier, but i actually think it doesn't.

Unfort. Mallee has not started swimming yet, we are having heaps of trouble trying to find somewhere close enough to do it regularly. Which is a real bummer, don't know wheather it is worth us looking around for a cheap aboveground pool for her - but then its the problem of trying to get her into it!!! Arghhh just not sure what to do with her lately, the surgeons said short walks without the sling, but geez do you know how hard it is to walk a 10mth old pup that he been in a cage for 3 mths slowly......it just does not happen, and what is a short walk........our heads have been spinning lately.

Mallee had arthritis in her front elbow joints at 4 mths - which she had arthiscoped and the ulna osteotomy, we have discussed it with surgeons and they can't really give us a time frame, now with her front legs its all about trying to prevent it from happending again, last lot of xrays showed no signs so heres hoping that op was a success.....yay......so hopefully with being on cosequin, sasha's blend, vegies and good food she should be right, but if it happens it happens. The good thing about it all is nothing can go wrong with her hips anymore, cos shes got none....lol.......... :rolleyes: if you don't laugh you will cry hey. I am sure i posted a pic of her missing hip joint xray - i will have to check a few pages back and see if i did otherwise if i didn't i will post it!

As you can imagine - she is loving her new found freedom limited as it is, its better than nothing. Short walks around the front yard, and longer ones around the back yard. We have been to chicken to take her past the front gates, as she is just sooo excited all the time, she is not aloud to run or jump, and it is so hard to stop her from doing those things, almost impossible. I think as Brock said there has to be a time when i just let go and stop being so protective and worried all the time, and i have to get over the fact that sooner or later she will be out of the cage, and she will one day hurt herself and there is nothing i can do about it!!! I just stress over her all the time, i think its going dirve Brock to drink......lol........

Anyway i will try and post the pic of her elbow x-rays so you can see how the ulna bone has healed from being cut! They are quite interesting to look at all the xrays.

Let me know how Chloe goes, thinking of you. Take Care try not to stress yourself out toooo much today!!!

Antoinette

The arrow shows were the cut the bone and were it has refused

post-22-1138752302.jpg

Edited by malleerr

Grrrrrrrrr alright :shakehead: :rolleyes: :o I was hanging out to hear how she went, was so hoping i would hear tonight before i left work......i understand the suspense. I bet your finger nails are almost non existent!!!!! Hopefully by now you are on your way to collect her. We still have everything crossed for you both that all is OK.

No not on my way yet, but thanks so much for the thoughts... I will update as soon as I can, so hopefully first thing tomorrow you will see my good news!!!

I have just had another bit of good news... I have a new niece!!! My bf's sister just had a little girl, so I now have a nephew and niece!!! I am so excited and hope the good news keeps coming!!! :rolleyes:

Okay just spoke to the surgeon. He said he is really pleased with the way she is walking. However, the bone still has some healing to do, as it has not fully bridged over yet. Which means another 4 - 5 weeks until another set of xrays. He said he would also prefer her to wait until this leg is given the all clear before he does the other leg... also because she is not doing so badly at the moment.

So a mixture of news... I would have loved the all clear, but I guess it's only been 8 weeks and nothing major is wrong.

Do you think I should worry that the bone hasn't completely healed yet? Or is that fairly normal?

*biting nails.....*

Hey Kell - not quite the news we were hoping for - hey - its so hard all the hoping that it will all be right and then not quite getting the news you wanted, but she is well on the way.

I wouldn't worry about the bone - Mallee's hasn't fully refused yet on the right side and hers was done on 13 November - so nearly 3 months ago. I think it takes around 2 months or so, but, our girls have been through quite alot so their ammune system and such might be down a little which might be why its taking longer. Hang in there. Speak to him when you pick Chloe up and see if he thinks it could be a problem, but i would not worry to much.

Hugs to Chloe and to you.

pssst......stop biting those nails.............. :rolleyes:

Well my little girl is home and sleeping it off. Poor bugger had no idea where she was - big space cadet!!! I didn't get to see the surgeon, as he had already left, which is something that I really don't like about the place... but I've stocked up on pain killers to get her poor other leg through the next 4 weeks. I was really hoping that we could have that leg operated on soon, but he said to wait.

I am just afraid that I have done something wrong for it not to heal properly, but the report he gave me did say that there had been significant healing so far, but still not 100%, so I feel okay about it. He wrote that he was really pleased with the way she was using it. So I figure it can't be too bad... but you know what the worry is like... :rolleyes: All the research I did said about 10 - 12 weeks, so I guess we are on track seeing it's only week 8. And your saga with Mallee has helped to relieve much of my anxiety Antoinette. Cause I know how careful you guys have been and I know that Mallee has been crated, so really what more can you do???

So now it's just another wait... but hey, we've made it this far!!!

Thanks for the support Antoinette. It means alot. Well I'm off to give Chloe some more cuddles and kisses. Gee I'd be lost without her. Hopefully I can give her a pain killer too cause she is limping quite badly on her unoperated leg, but I'm just waiting for the okay from the vet hospital... MORE WAITING!!! :o

Give little Mallee a big kiss for me and tell her that she is our mascot and something to aim for!! :o

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Hi KL,

With Duncan a number of holes were drilled in his Tibia bone to get the plate position just right. The plate has 6 pins but extra holes were drilled to get it right :eek: . The surgeon took time to show me the x-rays and exactly what they had done, drew diagrams on the whiteboard and explained everything fully :D .

At 8 weeks the bones had healed so well you could barely see where cuts had been made or holes drilled, the surgeon said healing was so good we could forego the next set of x-rays (we did them anyway). Bare in mind Duncan was only a baby, his bones were still growing. An older dog would take longer to heal I'm sure. Don't panic, you will get there :D .

Cheers,

Corine

Thanks so much for the reassurance Corine, it really helps me. When I spoke to the surgeon over the phone he didn't seem overly concerned, so it just means a few more weeks of keeping her quiet. It's just so disappointing when you don't get the news you are looking for, especially after all the hard work and acceptance she has shown. So it's a little bit depressing today, even Chloe looked thoroughly depressed this morning. She barely acknowledged my kisses and cuddles this morning. :D She is really quiet.

Maybe it does have something to do with her age, just like older humans. As for the vet hospital, they didn't even call me back to answer my questions last night. I'm really upset. It just seems that the surgeon was only interested in suggesting the surgery, but after that has avoided us like the plague and left letters etc for our info or just given us phone results. I'd like to see the xrays too, not that I would know much about them, but it would be nice to see them and have it explained. There are so many questions and concerns, and it would be nice to have some support. To not even ring me back last night (which is the first time it's happened) was really upsetting It was only a simple question about her pain killers too.

I can see it's going to be one of those days...

Thanks guys for all of YOUR support!!!

Hey Kelly - hang in there - you don't need to thank me for my support cos you have been just as great with me - i'm always saying to the OH and others i don't know what i would have done not having someone to talk about what we are going through who also knows what its like......so big :eek: :D to you!!

I'am sure Chloe will fully heal, but as you said i do understand how worrying it is, we really expect Mallee to be fully healed when we went back for the first set of x-rays, like as Corine said, she is just a pup and we all expected her to heal quicker, but that being said once we thought about it for a bit her right hand side is the weakest of the two sides, the side she lays on, and when she couldn't really get up and move she would drag herself along on that side, so they might all be contributing factors. Maybe that's why Chloe is taking jsut a little bit longer to heal, as she is older and maybe is taking a little more pressure of her bad leg with the good one, but as i said i am sure she will be fine, the surgeon does not seem to be too worried so that is a comfort.

As for them not returning your call, i bet you spoke to the night nurses. The only complaint we had about the hospital Mallee stayed in was the emergency staff and night staff, while i know they can get very busy and stressed at times, common curtosy does not go astray especially when dealing with people who they should know have been through a rough trot with their pets! We had it happen on several occasssions, actually once when she was still staying there after we were told by the surgeon that we can ring at night to see how she was, i basically got abused by one of the night nurses for phoning to see how she was and whether she had eaten (cos she did not eat for nearly a week for the staff)..... :) ..... i could not believe it!! I would just keep ringing them until the surgeon either takes your call or returns your call. I can understand why you are unhappy to not see him when you are collecting Chloe after the x-rays had been done afterall isn't that what we pay for????? :D . Hopefully it improves next time you see him, if it doesn't maybe make them aware of your feelings.

Anyway, i hope your day improves for you. Wish us luck for Saturday we are taking Mallee swimming which i think will be a bit of a drama considering she has nver been in water before.

Antoinette

P.S - something to make you smile - when we were taking Mallee out for her last toliet break last night she happen to find of all things, a frog. What a DRAMA trying to hold her back on the lead and the sling while she chased this ruddy frog everywhere, Mallee going one way the frog another, me giggling all the way with Brock yelling at me to clam Mallee and myself down!! Poor little froggy, end up chasing it inside the house, it was sooooo hard to get her back into her cage while Brock had to chase this frog hopping every out of the house and back into the backyard. Mallee a bit like an elephant hadn't forgotten about this frog this morning and was still looking for it everywhere......lol.......it was sooo funny nothing like a bit late night drama!!