Cruciate Ligament Ruptures

Thanks Paula... you've made me feel much better about the operation. I worry about bringing her home after only a few days... but keep reminding myself that thousands of other dogs have done the same thing and come out fine. I think it's official... I'm obsessed and totally paranoid. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

I guess the good thing is that Chloe isn't really hypo or overly active these days. But I think she would kill for a walk... she's missed out for a while now. She has her moments. I had to laugh on the weekend she grabbed her ball (but she knows she is not allowed to give to anyone to throw) so she trotted off and happily threw it up and down to herself. Poor thing. She misses out on so much. But anyway, she really won't be TOO fussed about lying around and sleeping all day. In fact, apart from the discomfort she will feel... it's probably her dream come true!!! She will miss being inside and always following at whoever's heels are walking out in the yard.

I must remember to buy a kong. Bones are no problem... she has a never ending supply and will chew away for hours (but prefers someone to be sitting with her). She will love the kong... actually she loves anything with food!!!

Thanks for the reassurance. It's really helpful. I'm a bit nervous today.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck :thumbsup: Stella came home on the same day and went into her pen. Not overly happy, but I think the whining was because she just wanted out. If you find she's moving around a bit in her pen, perhaps you could look at restricting her movement more?

I was really nervous for the first few days, then we settled into a routine and I calmed down :thumbsup: Just remember, strict confinement and not too much moving around and it will help with recovery. It's all too easy to wreck a good surgical result by a misplaced bounce! :D

I felt sorry for Stella being in her pen for so long, but I stayed tough :thumbsup: and she got used to it quickly enough.

I tried all sorts of things to keep her occupied - even wrapping chicken mince in a small towel and freezing it... but she left it there and looked at me as if to say "YOU unwrap it, I couldn't be bothered.." :thumbsup: having her inside, I left the TV on for her too. And lots of toys (which she never bothered with before, however since her surgery she loves them :thumbsup::thumbsup: )

:thumbsup:

Haha, that makes me laugh! Sometimes I think Chloe is taking advantage of all the attention she has been getting. The night before she went to the surgeon she had some dinner that she hadn't eaten. She wouldn't get up to eat it (although her legs were good), but she was quite happy to be handfed mouthfuls by yours truly - and when I stopped she stared longingly at the bowl with whiney noises!!! And then the water got brought to her so she could wash it down!!! Talk about spoilt!!! I could see the cheeky gleam in her eye!!! So I fully understand about the "You unwrap it, I can't be bothered!!" line!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for all the helpful advice... it's great!

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Kelly, hope it works for you!

My Stella is having the second "string" operation on Thursday:( The first worked initially, then it suddenly became loose. I didn't want TPLO. The second is easier, though, as there's no opening of the joint.

You can put Chloe in laundry, too. My Stella will just stay home with my daughter, and then 1 week on her own in the kennel inside cage. We can't lock her inside the house, as she jumps on the door (and it's hot).

Edited by Koza

Hi Koza,

Gee I hope that Stella's second operation goes well, and thanks for the well wishes. The reason I didn't opt for that type of surgery is because she is a bigger dog and they also warned me there could be problems for her. I would love to have Chloe inside, and apart from the enormous amount of hair she loses (and believe me it never stops, I wonder where she keeps all that hair), but also all entrances to our house has stairs and slippery surfaces which I want to keep her away from. But her little pen outside is under cover and we have been over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure it's all safe... so hopefully she will be okay there.

Well I just spoke to the surgeon and he said that all went really well and he was happy with the surgery. The only negative was that he had to remove the meniscus. I have learnt that this will speed up any degenerative joint disease or OA that may occur. Can anyone tell me if their dog has had to have the meniscus removed, and if that dog was greatly affected? If so, how long after the surgery did it become a problem or how quickly does it become a problem?

I know i'm panicking and should be grateful that the surgery went well, but I worry particularly about her arthritis. Does anyone think the removal of the meniscus will cause her huge problems (she is now 7 years old keep in mind)?

Sorry for all the questions...

Great news! I have spoken to the surgery again and they say my little Chloe is going great guns! I'm so pleased! I am going to see her tonight. She will most likely come home tomorrow, but I can't wait that long to see her. And the best news is that she has been up and walking (to go to the toilet), but it's the best news I've heard... my brave little girl is on the road to recovery.... YAAY!!!

Great to hear she came through OK :eek:

We laid carpet over our hard floors, and had carpet lined ramps over the steps front and back, and to walk into the van... we spent the weeks before the surgery practicing ;)

Stella had the 'string' operation on her first knee, and the TWO on her second. They've both done well, however we've had two additional operations on her 'string' knee to remove the material as it caused a reaction and Stella kept getting infections. Now all the suture material is outta there, and the tissue etc has stabilised the knee - so hopefully no more operations!! :):shrug:

Hope all your pups have a smooth recovery :rofl:

Thanks Paula... I'm so happy, can't get the smile off this face!! I have actually been looking into buying some ramps to ensure that any steps are easier to face, but as she is not used to them (no time to get her trained up using them), it would be a bit tough now. Getting her to use her new little house out the back was tough enough, but after a few days of coaxing we couldn't get her out... especially because when it's hot a cool breeze blows from under the house. When she has started to recover well I will probably look at getting customised ramps put in at the back door... not only for Chloe but also for my 87 year old Grandmother that we can't keep down either!!

I'm just so delighted that she's doing well. And I'm glad to hear that the TWO was successful for your dog. I was starting to have doubts that I was doing the right thing, but the reassurance has been great!

Hi Kelly_Louise - so great to hear the Chloe is doing well!!! ;) I am so happy for you both!!! Hopefully her recovery will speed up once she is home and happy with you...The ramps are a great idea we have been thinking of getting them for Mallee, you can also get some for your car to make getting in and out easier on them. Do you know if she has to be walked in a sling or anything like that or is she already fully weight bearing on her leg already? :rofl::)

P.S. do you have sore cheeks yet from all the smiling....lol :shrug:

Thanks Malleerr, I sure do have sore cheeks. Nothing can dampen my day today... and believe me it seems like everyone at work has tried!!!

I'm not sure about whether she is walking with a sling or not. They did not mention it, and from the discussions I do not think they had her is a sling. I thought that she might have to have one because her other legs aren't crash hot either, particularly her other back leg.... but the impression I got from the lady that walked her out this morning Chloe was not assisted with a sling. Maybe not full weight bearing yet (and probably an awkward limp), but she is up and about. I'm so proud of my brave little girl!! When we go to pick her up I will at least have a sheet or towel to put around her belly just in case she needs some support - they have slippery floors there. I am a bit afraid about getting her in the car when we pick her up. I'm not sure what we will do. I don't like my dad picking her up (she is a heavy girl!!). Maybe we can borrow or rent a cage so that we can lift the whole cage without having to touch her. I really don't know but I've been worrying about it constantly. I'm sure we will come up with something though. There is just so much to think about and prepare for!!!

I just can't wait to see her!!! :rofl:

We had trouble getting Mallee into and out of the car, but she has two bung back legs so hopefully you will be right, at least you have your dad there to help you get her in and out. When we picked Mallee up we put heaps of cushions behind the front seat of the car on the floor of the back seat to bring the floor level up with the seat(if you get what i mean) so that there was heaps of room for her to stretch out and not worry about falling on the floor, and of course i had to sit in the back with her so she would not try to move around.

Edited by malleerr

I cut the sides of out a cheap calico bag - perfect sling :rofl: I tried to use the sling when Stella went to the toilet but I think I just got in the way ;) so I relaxed and left her to it. It was difficult to start with but she managed :shrug:

I freaked about getting Stella into the van, it was fine - I did sit in the back with her though, yelling out 'slow down' to the OH about a thousand times :)

Edited by paula_canberra

Hey that's a great idea Malleerr... I will definitely try that. Chloe is not in the car too much so she's not good with balancing herself around corners... so I will try putting cushions or whatever in behind the back seat. I always sit in the back with her while dad drives so she doesn't roll around. I will pack with towels around her so she doesn't slip as much. Oh boy what a production!!! She has a tendency to also want to give a big lick to anyone in the front seats!!!!

So it's just the travel from the surgery to home and getting her settled that I'm worried about. But we should be okay hopefully. Thanks for the great advice!!

OOps missed your post Paula. The calico bag is a good one. Not sure if Chloe would go for that though. She doesn't like anything too intimidating. But it's worth thought and if she is sore, maybe she won't complain. I saw something on a US website called the Bottoms up Leash which hooks under their back legs, but couldn't get it in time and it looked a bit painful to be honest.

But I might try the calico bag also.... it would be more stable than a sheet under the belly.... HMmmmmmmm.... :rofl:

Hi KL,

Glad to hear the surgery went well :rofl: . We used a towel around Duncan's belly at first to steady him but he really didn't need it. A lead can also be used as a sling (as long as it's not so thin it cuts into her skin). Duncam had 1 goo back leg though which helped.

Cheers,

Corine

Well little girl is coming home tonight... I went to see her yesterday but wish I hadn't. She was absolutely hysterical. She cried and howled the most mournful sounds. She is really petrified in there and just kept trying to launch herself out of the cage. I was so afraid she would hurt herself.

She appears to be putting weight on the leg, although it's hard to tell with a cast on. The girls at the surgery even drew a little christmas tree on the plaster, which i think was nice.

So the moral of the story... don't go and see a beloved pet until it's time to take them home.

I don't know who was more upset, Chloe or me???

Thanks Corine... I am definitely taking a towel tonight just for support cause I know she is going to be making a beeline for the vet's door to get out tonight. I hope it will help slow her down.

I can't wait for her to be home and settled.

:rofl: Hi Kelly, Glad Chloe is coming home with you tonight, sorry to hear that your visit did not go too well. We were worried about visting Mallee also while in hospital, but she was in there for three weeks so we had to in the end as she would not eat for the nurses.....Even though she seemed really distressed i am sure Chloe is getting lots of love from the nurses, and settled down well after you left. With the towel sling thing - they way we do it is my OH takes the towel end and walks next to her bum, and i take the lead and try to make her walk slowly so the sling does not slipl otherwise Mallee tries to walk in circles if one person walks her!!!...lol.... Anway hope she settles in well at home tonight, and let us know how the recovey etc goes!!

Thanks Malleerr... I was thinking the same thing. Either dad or I will hold the towel around her belly and I will hold her collar to stop her zooming out the door. The thing is she is such a sook but when her adrenalin kicks in she forgets that she is sick or slow and just powers through. For a dog with bad legs she has some strength.

I am a bit worried how she is going to go with her other bad leg. I wanted to wait a bit before having the other one done, but am afraid she will struggle with a plastered leg and a ruptured one. But we'll try and keep her quiet so it doesn't cause too many problems. I guess there have been other dogs with double blown cruciates and they have survived...

One of my friends bf's just told me that I was cruel and I should just let Chloe die in peace. It has really upset me. He said that once they have problems like this they only go downhill. I guess it has affected me because I'm so afraid of that happening.

But my dad saw how upset I was last night and told me that no matter what, I had done the best for Chloe and we could only see how we go.

I think I'm just a basket case cause I haven't had any sleep for a week...

:( Oh Kelly thats is terrible what your friends BF said :( I understand why you have done what you have done - and please don't doubt your decisions - i think you should be proud of what you have done for your girl, there are alot of people out there that just wouldnot go to the expense of what you have done!! We had many people telling us that we were stupid to put Mallee through the 4 operations she has had, but i think it would have been harder to watch her slowly get worse and in alot of pain all the time - so i think that we have both done the right thing. Another way to look at it is, we would not let ourselves or a loved one go through life in massive amounts of pain without doing anything so why should our furrfriend/family be any different. :rofl:

We still are not back into our regular pattern of sleeping - we have actually moved our bed into the lounge so Mallee wont stand up all night crying....the things we do....lol.... Try and get some rest as hard as it is, you don't want to get sick!!

Mallee came home with a bucket on her head (E collar) maybe if Chloe has one of those on it will slow her down a bit, it sure did Mallee.

Hang in there Kel and big hugs to you and Chloe, i'm sure she is well on the road to better health now!! And you have done everything you can for her and once she starts healing i'am sure she will let you know that!!