Iams

talon

I would not and will not buy any products which have companies which use any animal testing. I am speaking of non life threatening investigations. I am a realist and understand that certain animal testing is needed to develop some life threatening treatments.

I wonder if people realise that keyhole surgery is first performed on poor unsuspecting piggies, medial profession do not use human guinea pigs anymore for practice. I would volunteer if I were in that position but now even that is impossible so the piggies get their bits removed.

I think it is ridiculous to test dog food on lab animals. I will answer the question I asked of Cordelia. If I were approached by a dog food company and they said

they wanted to take a blood sample then feed my dog on 'good dog' for one week then do another blood sample. I would ask why?

I am asking why they need to use lab animals to develop a product.

as far as I remember IAMS contracts a Uni to do the research
you are mistaken Koza but the life of a lab animal at uni can be ruddy disgusting, they still use primate testing at most universities. do not think that the fact that a uni might be used makes it somehow sensitive and acceptable.

sorry I have gone off topic :eek: I do that sometimes...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animal shelters do not kennel dogs individually and continue to keep the dog for the term of its natural life in the shelter/kennel environment.

They do in Victoria. Legislation requires shelters to kennel dogs individually.

What I meant was, and I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, is that the lab dogs are kenneled individually (that is, they do not live with any other dog, they live entirely "alone") and that this occurs for the natural life of the dog...a boarding kennel is a short-term stay, as is a shelter situation. Shelters do "double up" when needed or we couldn't take the huge numbers of dogs that turn up...but only after careful assessment as to temperament, health, and suitability to share. Often when you visit a shelter and see dogs sharing they have come from the one family or have been found together but not always (for example, if the shelter is already full and more strays arrive).

I do not think that the lab environment is suitable for the dog's entire life. I certainly do not see any reason for this to continue...IMO it is inhumane. :D