C5 Vaccination Side Effects -

doberkids

Hi,

I am new to the forum, I normally just browse around... however I over the weekend I had a terrible incident, which i thought I should share with the forum.

We have two dobermans, a boy and a girl, both about 3 and a half. They are our kiddies, Ralf and Bindi.

Anyway, As usual, she was up for her yearly C5 shot from the

vet. They both have had them yearly since they were ready for the

innoculations. We went to the vet as usual. No differences to any other

time. - No news from the vet, just a standard checkup and the needle. (other

than comments about their great coat and teeth, thanks to BARF). However within 35 to 40 mins of getting them home, Bindi's face had blown up so much that her eyes became slits. She broke out in hives all over her front legs, and parts of the front part of her back.

We raced her to a local vet (not our usual vet, where the vaccinations were

provided), who immediately saw her and gave her a shot. She was a calm girl,

no noise, but obviously in some difficulty, her breathing was shallow, she

looked like a different dog, and her face was obviously either stinging or

very itchy.

The vet had also found some water in her lungs. She stayed at the vets under

observation for another hour, I stayed with her to make sure she was ok.

The vet finally gave her the ok, and we could take her home. My partner had

meanwhile raced home to check on Ralf to make sure he was ok. He was fine.

We spoke to the vet who provided the injections who stated that they had the

exact same vaccinations as last time, same brand and everything, and that

Bindi must have developed the allergy over the last 12 months. He said it

was highly unusual and she was one of like 0.1% of dogs who would be

affected. However, even at these odds it is not good enough!

Luckily we were at home to see this happen. What if we had just dropped them

off at home after the vet's visit and left them unattended? Potentially

Bindi would not be here. The vet that we took her to for the immediate

treatment explained that unless she is to go to a Boarding kennel, there is

no need for her to receive these annual shots. I obviously agree with this

sentiment and our dogs will no longer be vaccinated. I have emailed our breeder, who is very against giving vaccinations, and has also recommended that we get a thyroid and blood test to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

I just wanted to post this so people are aware of the potential side effects of vaccinations, and to make sure they watch their puppies after a trip to the vet, in case something really bad happens!

Thanks for the heads up. My boy is booked in this weekend for his vacc, he wasn't done last year and i am not going to get the c5 - never have as i dont see the point. Would the normal one still cause a reaction like this?

Am totatly with dogbesoted, insist this adverse reaction is reported, or do what i did and report it yourself!

Too many Vets are "writing things off". :laugh:

Due to a reaction to a medication we have changed Vets and the Vet we go to now has mad massive notes on my girl's record about drug she is NOT to be given under ANY circumstances.

A friend's two dogs( litter mates ) had the same reaction to C5 about 12mths ago

Hope your furkid is now recovering okay

The joys of the C5 indoctrination situation..

Hope your girl recovers with no longterm effects!

Vets must be MADE to report these adverse reactions - luckily your girl had an immediate reaction which is an identified one for C5s. Others get less immediate, and ultimately more damaging ones.

The vaccine manufacturers state on their info leaflets that vaccines must only be given to healthy dogs, and not to dogs suffering allergies. How many vets actually read this?

A friend has a poodle pup - it developed a skin problem after it's first C5 (12 weeks) and started chewing itself. When the owner took it back over the itch, the vet insisted on doing the C5 booster (16 weeks), stating the booster was more important, and the skin could be fixed later.

Said pup is now pulling hair out of legs and body constantly, is refusing almost all food and is a total, frantic mess. As is the owner.

It hasn't drawn blood yet, but is getting closer every day. Vet's reaction - we'll give her some cortisone injections...

Vet thinks he now has a lifelong patient worth a fortune in skin scrapings and medication, not to mention annual boosters :rolleyes: Of course it is nothing to do with the vaccine...

Owner has now changed vets and now realises her pup can never be vaccinated again.

Hi there,

I am a newbie to these forums & after reading some of these posts I was wondering If I could get some opinions on an incident that occurred with my 14wk old Staffy pup.

She was vacinatated on the Saturday lunch time & we went home had a normal day no changes to feed etc. :mad

Sunday morning my son brought her into my bed stating "puppy is quiet this morning thought you'd like a cuddle", as soon as he put her on me I instantly felt how hot she was. I grabbed a thermometer, she had a temp of 41+ jumping out of bed I gave her to my older daughter to hold whilst i got dressed with a wet cloth. She noticed pup had a bleeding nose & a weeping eye. :cry::rofl:

When i arrived at the vet she was extremely listless due to the fever, & her nose had started to swell. The vet was dumbfounded to what had occurred & put it down to a spider bite & gave her an antihistermine shot & sent me home with antibiotics. By the end of the day her nosed had swelled up so big she looked like a bull terrier with a roman nose (still cute), but so sad :cry: .

She eventually slept for all day & most of the night before bouncing back as quick as she went down. Whilst I continued to keep her hydrated with an eye dropper.

Does anyone have anything to add to this do they agree with the vet about the spider bite which we still have found no evidence of. Or do you think it may have been a reaction to the C5. :rolleyes: :cry::cry:

Look forward to hearing all reply's...

Thanx

IMHO the most important aspect of the vaccination debate is to educate oneself..ie look at both sides of the debate. I choose NOT to to annually vaccinate now, but if I were to have puppies to care foir i would look at vaccinating, but start later on and possibly no more than puppy vaccs. BUT THAT IS MY CHOICE and I am not peaching that.

We also need to remember that not all dogs experience adverse reactions to medications or vaccinations but as dog owners it is wothwhile keeping in mind possible( note possible not probable) reactions. If there is a reaction, or the dog has other health issure then further stressing the immune system with annual boosters is not wise.

also all adverse reactions ( even if just suspected) to any medication or vaccination should be reported. Unless reported there is no true picture built up.

http://www.britfeld.com/vaccination-adverse.htm

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolresources/c...accination.html

edit!!!!! I choose NOT to annually vaccinate

Edited by dogbesotted

I am very interested to read this thread. A friend of mine recently had her foxy x react badly to a c5 shot. She ran an extremely high temperature and was vomiting and unable to keep fluids down for about 24 hours. My friend constantly gave her water thru an eye dropper. The vet told her it was "one of those things" that sometimes happens with vaccinations!

I had a puppy buyer call me the other day to say all was well and she just happened to mention that the puppy was going in for his c5 the following day AT 10 WEEKS!!! I told her that I thought it was a bad idea to give him his shot 2 weeks early, when he had had an upset stomach with his 6 weeks shots. After much discussion about the side effects and over vaccinating and overloading his system, of me saying she would be completely responsible if something unpleasant happened to him and that I did not support her decision in anyway, she finally agreed to wait the extra 2 weeks even though "three vets said it would be fine"!

Now I don't think I am very popular with this puppy buyer, (too bad, so sad), and I can see she was trying to do what she thought was best for the pup (in the sense she wants him vaccinated so she can take him places), and it opens up a whole can of worms about veterinary recommendations, but sometimes I wonder what goes on out there as far as vets and vaccinations go! (and other things for that matter). Its a shame these kind of adverse reactions aren't discussed with people when they take their pups/dogs for vaccinations, I am sure this puppy buyer just thinks I am a worrywart, a drama queen or ill-informed as the vets said it would be fine, but like I said to her, do you want YOUR PUP to prove them wrong???

Edited by Aaronwood

Staffyutopis hope your pup is heaps better.

My bundle of joy 4 month staffy pup.

Had Tassie vac on Friday last week her 3rd one l hold my breath and pray she has no side effects this one was ok the C5 but l hate it when my doggys have to get the vac. l really dont want her getting pavo so she has the vac at the puppy stages.

Her 2nd needle she had a slight reaction where a large fluid lump appeared around the area of the needle it took its time to disappear. Told the vet when l went in for her third.

My other staffy he had his 3 year old shot and it left a large lump that took ages to go away rang vet they said hot face washer and wait. He wont be getting any more beening an atopic dog l wont take the risk.

Edited by goldy

Yes our pup is just fine now, thanx to our quick thinking :cry:

It could of been alot worst if I didn't react as quick as i did. But she is just fine now. :rolleyes: :cry:

My only concern from reading this thread & previous threads is that my vet could have got it wrong thinking it was a spider bite. :cry: From what I've been reading it sounds as though she had a vacination reaction. :rofl:

ok thanx again :cry:

Is it Vacc's in general or just the C5 vacc that causes the reaction? Harvey wasn't done last year, he is three years old this year and i have never given him the C5. Booked in on saturday for a check up and vaccination, told the vet not the C5, so what one would he get? *mind gone blank*.. will he be ok? Or should i not get him done?

I only ever give a C3 vaccination. First at 7 to 8 weeks next at 12 weeks and then one at about 15 months.

At the risk of being told I am not keeping up with modern day practices this is all I have ever done and I see absolutely no valid reason to change what I have done for over 30 years