Tracking

Have already booked a place :(

Although from what I have read (I also have some books on SAR) - they are very different. Remembering that footstep tracking is a sport and SAR is not. With SAR you want to get there fast, and cutting corners is OK, as is air scenting. With tracking, you are supposed to follow the exact track, including corners, and they are not supposed to air scent.

You work with scent detection dogs right? I would love to get into that area! I did the scent detection course through NDTF and it was fascinating stuff. I have done a little with Zoe. The hardest part about any scent work I find is that we can't smell what the dogs can :(

Search & Rescue - the dog is air scenting the rafts of bacteria rising from the body and dispelling into the air.

Tracking - the dog is identifying the disturbed vegetation from the tracklayers footsteps. If the track is very new then the scent from the tracklayer rises and then falls alongside the track and is carried by the wind direction, that's why you see dogs casting side to side. If the track is old then the scent from the tracklayer has dissipated into the air leaving the dog to then track the disturbed vegetation.

With tracking you need to teach the dog basic scent discrimination very early in training to deter him/her from following the crossovers later down the harder/longer laid tracks. Article alerting is very important also and should be taught very early.

I never trained with food under footsteps (too backbreaking)- we always taught the method where the dog sees the handler leave initially with favourite toy or food. The dog must have plenty of desire to want to find - that's the key ingredient.

A complete understanding of how scent works is imperative to be able to read your dog properly in both sar and tracking.

It always amazed me at tracking trials- when the dog located an article the handler would put that article into his/her pocket. Later, if the dog was getting a bit confused or could not find the track, the handler would try to re-scent the dog with the article that had been in their pocket for the duration since it was first picked up :scared: whose scent is on the article now?

If we could see as well as a dog can smell - we would be able to see another million colours, their complete scenting ability is untapped by humans. As Kavik said "we can't smell what they can!"

Sam, I hope you can make it to our seminar, I'm sure K9 has your information, he's a very busy person at the moment. :(

I think I might try the method laid out in the article. Yesterday I laid out two scent squares like in the article, with food in them. Diesel worked it quite well. I am hoping someone at the club has experience with this method so they can help me when I get stuck!