Drop Command

I have been trying to get Loki to Drop without having to guide his head down (hand in front then to the floor).

Last night we were training and I said "Drop" and I know he is trying so hard to figure out what I want him to do but he just wont do it.

He just stares at me, with this "And...." look. Like he says "Yeah, you said drop but come down with me" sort of thing.

Will he eventually pick it up? I know that sounds like a stupid question but he has picked up every other command including 'shake' and 'five' (high five) without any hand signals... He just cannot do drop.

Am i doing something wrong? Should I be doing something else? Please help because I have no ideas :thumbsup:

Ohh! i was in the exact same situation as you!

To get Winnie to drop on my voice command without hand signals was extremely easy.

When we were having our play sessions i would make her drop before i threw her the ball. For the first few times i just walked up to her and used the hand motion and the command, and then threw the ball. When she started to get the idea that i wouldn't throw the ball to her unless she dropped, she will do it on command now (and not only when we are playing).

I can also just use the hand signal without the word and she will obey. I am still training her with the command, and making her drop before she gets her dinner, or before a pat etc so she will become a pro at it.

But yeah, maybe if you just make her drop for you before you give her something that she really likes, and just continue to repeat it.

Good luck with it!

Say the command. Wait two seconds (no more).

If no drop, then follow through with the hand signal.

Am I right in guessing that the hand signal has been given always/mostly at the same time as the command? If so, that's why they are paired together.

By separating them, and doing repetitions (and working with your dog's favourite motivator as reward for executing the drop) you should be able to build on your dog's "anticipation". IE When he's used to hearing the word, and has recognised it is always followed up by the hand signal, he'll begin to anticipate and drop on the word (so he can get his reward sooner :thumbsup:).

Similarly, when dogs know the "word" but haven't yet been taught the hand signal, the hand signal should come first and then the word. The dog builds up anticipation (as described above) and knows the drop command will follow, so begins to beat you to it and starts dropping on the hand signal.

When your dog drops on (in your case) the "word", make sure the reward you give is a higher reward than for dropping with the hand signal.

Hope that helps.

I also used the ball method to teach Moses to drop on verbal alone, he learns that as soon as he does what I want, he gets what he wants such as the ball or the toy of even a piece of food thrown for him to catch. The first few times were slow then he sped up. So many dogs get reinforced for sitting, that that is all they offer, so make him drop for everything. I also use this method to teach him to bow, spin etc.

At our doggy school, they teach you to stand on the lead near the neck and push down while saying drop and the hand signal. Hold your foot until the dog has to go down. Haven't needed it for Ice as he does it so fast but that is with me bending down and putting my hand near the ground.

I've used this method both training my dogs, and training classes as it seems to work well....

1. Use both hand and voice commands together until you have 100% reliability.

2. Continue to use voice command as usual, but make hand signal slightly less dramatic....continue to make it less dramatic slowly - if the dog suddenly looks confused, go back to "BIG" hand signals too...

3. When you are at the stage where you can use your voice and a 'small' hand signal, proof this before trying it without the hand signal at all.....you're effectively teaching a new exercise and it's important that you don't progress faster than the dog can, and don't jump the steps......

Note: you may find (like a small person ie: GSP, I know well called Tango or alternatively 'El Destructo') that the dog knows what you want , but is testing you (don't repeat the command either verbally or by hand signal, simply move in and physically but steadily, make it happen), which is why it's important to be 100% reliable before you move onto the next stage..

Shouldn't take too long to get there - just a few repetitions (or more than a few if your dog is stubborn, or dominant)

Lots of luck.......

Have you tried doing the drop from the heel position? use the command and hand signal bend your knees and keep your back straight stay down untill dog drops, as dog gets better decrease the amont of drop you do.

Subsequent to that then come out in front of dog and start as u did prior.

Make sure that when you say the word drop you look downwards to show them what u mean.

Good luck

I did this using what Erny and Tangerine Dreams said. :shhh:

I said the command 'drop' and followed the command with the hand signal, then making the hand signal less dramatic until I could do it with no hand signal at all. Both of my dogs drop reliably on voice or hand signals.

For an update...

I went home, used Erny's method and within half an hour VOILA dropping on command. I am enjoying Dropping success ...

Ruffles .... glad it's working for you.

Now, once the drop is happening consistently on the "word command", don't forget to then randomise the "word" and "hand signal" so that your dog doesn't lose the skill for either. :)

K9: as your results already show, the advice you have been given is good, keep in mind always that the command should be seen by the dog as an opportunity to earn a reward.

This means the reward must have value to the dog... ball, food, praise what ever it may be the dog must want it.

After that its as simple as chaining the command either signal or voice into the movement for the dog to earn the reward...

Finally the timing of how the reward is given will increase the speed of the drop....

well my dog will drop for a hand signal, a voice command or both. But he's very smart, so it wasn't any trouble.

Hey Thunder

My springers are really smart too......they do all those thing as well.

But only when they want to!!!!