Flea Treatment

post-9548-1144285739_thumb.jpg

G'day,

I thought I could offer my experience with fleas.

Many years ago I started bathing my pets in the bath under the shower.

The fleas that were present then, were killed by the Shampoo and Conditioner (pantene). It seemed like any eggs and flea bodies were washed straight down the drown.

This seems to have worked as Tonka is now four years old and has never had a Flea.

I believe that all flea eggs have gone down the drain and off the property. This seems to have prevented reinfestation.

Admittedly I only have Tonka atm as his grandad was pts jan05. But there are no problems with fleas and I do have a sandy backyard.

Tonka does'nt have problems with human shampoo as I only use a small amount and the shower seems to rinse his coat well. Also I don't have an added expense of pet shampoo or flea treatments/poisons.

post-9548-1144285676_thumb.jpg

santos l helper

Keeping in mind Frontline kills all fleas on the dog, but by the 4th week it is weakend and takes longer. So you might be seeing fleas on your dog, but generally the Frontline takes up to 6 hours to kick in and kill them.

Unfortunately, many fleas are now resistant to Frontline Plus - had a cocker here for a week a while ago that was crawling with fleas - Frontlined him, and 5 days later he still had fleas. As he was kept confined on concrete the whole time I was able to see how few dead fleas there were :confused: (Had to do this as I have never had fleas here, and didn't want to start!)

Ended up giving him Capstar to kill them, then a hydrobath before he went home. When I commented on the fleas, they said they had been Frontlining him every fortnight, and bathing him following the directions, but he always had fleas. Apparently they wanted to use up their supply before they tried a different brand :thanks:

Ahah! Now i know why Ice has doggy dandruff. Never had it before but since using Advantix he does. It works for fleas ok but might not get the last week properly from it. So have been giving him 1 tsp of Cod Liver Oil in his food every night and it is working.Will check him for bumps after his next dose tho. Sue