Aspiring Instructor

Guest Eza

Hi all

Im an Inspiring instructor for the local dog club.

They have been really great in helping me BUT Im scared when it come to my time to take the class (I currently take a 10min session) I only do basic heal work at the end of a class but I freeze up....so I guess Im asking any one here have any tips to calm me down....my dog is in novice trailing and I guess if Im scared of taking a class how will I go in a ring if he ever gets good enough.

I hope I have this in the right area.

Erin

it can be nerveracking taking your first classes. Just take your tme and dont rush into it remember you have a lot oto offer and your passion and enthusiam for dog trianing will rub off on your class

I still remember the first time took a class i felt likeeveryone was judging me they werent of course and after a few goes i began to relax and enjoy watching epople have success these days i love taking groups working with peopl that have a simialr interest to me

You'll get there and im sure you could have a senior instructor come out with you so if you freeze up they will take over for a while until you relax again people are generally understanding and wat to see you succeeed as much as they want to train their dog

yb

Agree with poodlefan - prepare, know your stuff and you'll do fine.

I am quite a shy person, but get me talking about greyhounds or dogs in general, and you wont shut me up!!!

Just remember, that YOU know more than THEY do, for the most part. They re there to learn from you how to best look after and train their dogs. If they should ask something you arent quite sure of, just ask them to see you after class, that you need to double check your information, and ask another instructor.

Good luck. I hope you can get past your jitters.

I have a senior instructor that does most of the class and I just follow around and keep an eye on ppl (havent had to help anyone yet) but I will go and get some rescue remedy today.

I think I will write up a program and teach it to my partner and dog (hes never been to the club) and see how I go..that might help.

Thanks for the tips. Im happy to be doing this but just so worried that I will freak out lol.

Thanks again.

Eza, what's the worst thing that can happen? The absolute worst is they will think you are shy, which you are.

If when you start your first classes alone, or even these 10 min sessions, tell them you are new to this, and to please bear with you as you are a little nervous. Or mabey ask them to ask you questions relevent to the topic. A good group conversation starter.

When i have a situation like this (remember i mentioned in the post before that i am quite shy around groups of people i dont know), i think of the absolute worst thing. I'm not going to be physically hurt, i'm not going to die on the spot, and i'm probably not going to be hit by a bolt of lightning. At worst, i might be a little embarassed for stumbling over what i'm saying. That's the worst!

I reinterate, you KNOW what you're talking about, obviously, or the group wouldnt have you there doing a session, Right?

Once you've done a couple, it will be second nature.

Great idea to practice on your other half. Then mabey get a few friends with dogs around and do the same.

again, good luck, i've got faith in ya!

Just think about all the **** instructors out there.

You must be raising the standard. Couldn't do otherwise. ;)

Congratulations for sticking with it - people like me need instructors like you. :rofl:

Pity thre are so few of them. You on Brisbane Southside by any chance? :D

:cheers:

Noisy no sorry your out of luck there.

I have just found my first two students....OH and his dog and my sister and my dog. They are going to be my testers lol. I will write up a lesson plan and teach them (neither have ever trained a dog before).

Thank you for your suggestions and my RR is on order.

This is an interesting thread, if I can just go in another direction briefly....

If you were to take up a position as a volunteer trainer at a club....all the trainers seem to follow one training method....what if you disagree or feel that you have a more effective method?

I am a volunteer, I dont get paid for the instructing.

I would discuss it with the head trainer and put my opinions forward but I dont think that will be an issue here because I wouldnt have joined if I didnt like the training method.

Hi Eza .... congrats on your decision to enter the world of training dog trainers. :laugh:

Just one thing, if you haven't already considered it .... have you thought of doing the NDTF distance learning course which, if it hasn't begun, is due to shortly?

National Dog Trainers Federation

It's great that you have a club through which you can learn and then help others, but remember that all dogs are different and if only one method of training principal is taught, or if the club's method/s are limited, there will be some dogs that you come across where you will find it tough, if not impossible, to achieve the desired goal.

If you have a deeper knowledge and understanding of dog training, this will broaden your scope and enable you to better help others with problems, where perhaps you otherwise might not be able.

Just food for thought - maybe you don't want or need to get into this field at the deeper level that I refer to. ;)

Either way, I wish you all the best for your ventures. :cheers:

we have instructors meetings where everyone brings their ideas to teh table and we discuss how they work and whether they are viable for the club having aid that this is a recent thing our club used to be very conservative before

Erny, thank you for the link but its only in Vic/Nsw i believe. If I can do it from here I would.

We have "staff meeting" once every 3-4 weeks (end of mth) and discuss suggestions and ideas.

Im a volounteer as well, we have basic guidelines in the club, but each instructor brings something new to the class.

Students often go from one to another and they are always told that each person has diff methods slightly, so try what works for you and your dog, we give you the guidelines.

But the main principles stay the same and I beleive that is important.