Probably A Really Stupid Question

There was a thread on here showing video clips of dogs in training, Dobermanns I think they were. One video in particular was just beautiful, a dog heeling in the snow and was totally glued to the handlers side.

How do you teach your dog to heel this closely? My GSD in particular has a VERY high prey drive and I'm hoping that's a good thing for teaching good heeling, although finding something he likes more than cats or other dogs could prove a challenge ;)

I would love to get him to heel like that, but I'm not sure where to start. Somebody I think mentioned on the thread that they are trained with some kind of stick by their side to help keep them so close, anybody know?

I train heel with a prong collar, other people don't. A beautiful heel like the one you mentioned can take a while to master. Have you attended your local training club?

A dog with a good drive is a great thing!

I would be getting in touch with Steve @ K9 Force www.k9force.net and reading some of his training articles on his website.

Thanks for that sas ;)

I do have a prong collar, it only fits my GSD and I wont put it on my Rottweiler because I feel he's too young for that.

I can't get to my local obedience club unfortunately because I don't have transport...I also didn't really like the big classes there either.

I can get fairly good focus from the shepherd with a toy, although he will try to grap at it, jump up at it etc instead of heeling nicely for it...not too sure how to stop that.

The rotty is still only young and has no attention span ;)

Guest KOJAK
There was a thread on here showing video clips of dogs in training, Dobermanns I think they were. One video in particular was just beautiful, a dog heeling in the snow and was totally glued to the handlers side.

How do you teach your dog to heel this closely? My GSD in particular has a VERY high prey drive and I'm hoping that's a good thing for teaching good heeling, although finding something he likes more than cats or other dogs could prove a challenge :rofl:

I would love to get him to heel like that, but I'm not sure where to start. Somebody I think mentioned on the thread that they are trained with some kind of stick by their side to help keep them so close, anybody know?

H Shekina

with the help of Goldielover and terrorbull over in the chat section they helped me find a post that was way back in August 2005

I n the Showring section Shepin posted can someone please help

Dianne Isavis shepin and forgive me as i am writing this without seeing who else at the moment did try it there are a few.

I would also like some feedback is to how they have progressed

the link is and if it does not work [it was on the22nd ofAugust 2005 in show topic section ca someone please help by Shepin

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=35920&hl=

hope this will help you Shekina

love my german shepherds

kojak :laugh::rofl::rofl:

i have added some photos of my dogs as you can see they all have eye contact with me even though they appear to be looking at the kong that is reward when the excersise is completed correctly I can also remove the kong and hide it and when they have finished there work they can have bit of tracking by going and find there Kongs

post-6818-1145188555_thumb.jpgpost-6818-1145188593_thumb.jpg[a

tachment=36042:attachment]post-6818-1145188843_thumb.jpg[atta

hment=36044:attachment]post-6818-1145189076_thumb.jpg[attachm

nt=36046:attachment]

post-6818-1145188649_thumb.jpg

post-6818-1145188925_thumb.jpg

post-6818-1145189139_thumb.jpg

Guest Dianne

The one thing your dog has to know is...

THE BEST PLACE TO BE IS WITH YOU.

it's safe

it's loving

it gets you nice praise

it gets you treaties [occasionally]

IT DOESN'T GET YOU PULLED -TUGGED - HURT.

Pay immediately for the attention you get from your dog.

Learn to see this attention giving AND PAY as soon as it's given.

Cheers,

Dianne