Cod Liver Oil Or Flaxseed Oil?

chooka

if you want to boost the omega 3 in their diet then flax seed oil is a lot better than cod liver oil, which has very little omega 3. fish oil is also what you want for omega 3 , not cod liver oil, the above comments about too much vit A in cod liver oil are quite valid

too much flax seed oil doesn't taste very good, i prefer to use a omega 3 supplement for dogs, like megaderm or omegamagic plus (omega magic is cheaper than megaderm) that has a balanced omega 3:6 ratio, and added zinc, vitaminA, vit b, Vit E

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know, of course, whether or not dogs are more susceptible to toxicity, but even so, it seems to me that I would have to give her a whole lot more Cod liver Oil than she is getting - and certainly more than 6 capsules a week - before there is any chance of toxicity occurring.

One site I've found suggests that animals are less susceptible to Vit A toxicity than humans.

HERE

New research suggests that dogs tolerate up to 70.000 IU of Vitamin A without ill effects / toxicity as their metabolism is different from the human. The common amount of Vitamin A in dog food (pr. 100 gr) ranges from 10 - 17.000 IU

The statements that cod liver oil does not include Omega 3 are wrong. The ratio between Omega 6 & 3 should be 1:5 and there should preferably have Omega 8 too

LysiCod liver oil is a particularly rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, but many researchers have been hesitant to recommend its use, because of its high vitamin A and D content. Both of these fat soluble vitamins are known to be toxic if taken in large doses, but the margin for safety is considered even lower for vitamin D than for vitamin A. One tablespoon of cod liver oil contains approximately 37 mg (microgram) of vitamin D, which is well above the recommended intake of 5 to 10 mg a day.

Other articles http://www.lysi.is/is/english/articles