Amount Of Fibre In Good Quality Dry Food

Why not try full barf ?

I have tried the full barf a couple of times, but I stuff it up by "overfeeding" him

I feed a chicken-frame based BARF-type diet to Labs. The trick to weight control, in my book, is a HEAVY meat clever and a good cutting board. Also, not buying raw fatty bones (eg, my local supply of brisket bones is so fatty I can't use them, likewise most of the lamb flaps I've come across). Cut off fatty bits (not hard with chicken frames), and keep cutting the portions down until the dog begins loosing weight. Note that the bum end of the carcass is much fattier than the neck end, so if you've got a Jack Sprat ('could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean') situation, give the thin one the bum end. Labs vary greatly in requirements. I have one girl who gains weight on one chicken a day; other girls who require one and a half.

I also give the dogs coarsely chopped carrots as fill / fibre -- roughly three carrots a day per dog (I buy horse carrots in a 20 kg bag). They love them but don't digest them much (I can always spot the poohs from my dogs by the orange lumps in them).

Edited by sandgrubber