Puppies And 9 To 5 Jobs

Kifaya

Thanks for all the replies.

I am a member of the NSW husky club and I am familiar with the breed... Some day a husky will find a forever home with my husband and I!

If it's true that a husky can't be left alone for 8 hours on week days even if given lots of attention before & after work and weekends (and it looks like that is consensus)we will just have to wait till we have kids and I am a home mum. We have already waited 4 years to be living in the right place so I guess we can wait 1 or 2 more but /cry

If there is anyone who leads a normal working life and has made this work I want to hear from you =)

I posted a thread here a while back asking the same thing. my husband and i too work full time in the city

after a lot of thinking, we decided to go ahead and look for a dog. i can finally say our boy is coming home on sunday!

I have next week off only so i will use that week to establish a routine and try toilet train as much as possible.

i will keep you all updated if you wish on how things go for us.

Edited by ejeelamu

Thanks for all the replies.

I am a member of the NSW husky club and I am familiar with the breed... Some day a husky will find a forever home with my husband and I!

If it's true that a husky can't be left alone for 8 hours on week days even if given lots of attention before & after work and weekends (and it looks like that is consensus)we will just have to wait till we have kids and I am a home mum. We have already waited 4 years to be living in the right place so I guess we can wait 1 or 2 more but /cry

If there is anyone who leads a normal working life and has made this work I want to hear from you =)

I'm not sure that's a good idea either. When a couple has a baby, their time is severely restricted, their energy levels are quite low, their tolerance levels are also quite low. Huskies aren't necessarily suitable around very young children, either. But I'm sure you would know that already.

Huskies really are "special needs" dogs in some ways b/c they love to be with ppl and will do anything to be with ppl, including escaping from some of the most secure yards (that would keep most other dogs in). They're not the sort of dog to be left home alone for extended periods (such as a working day) unless they're in a secure enclosure (walls, roof, solid concrete floor) with enough shelter and plenty to do. The Sibe is one breed that is over-represented in pounds and shelters, partly b/c they are such good escape artists, partly b/c they are so vocal and neighbours complain, and partly b/c ppl don't feel capable of managing them appropriately.

Why does this breed appeal to you as a companion? Are there other breeds that you are also considering? What are your reasons for wanting to obtain a dog? How much experience have you already had with dogs?

Also, assuming you do obtain a Husky when you start your human family, does that also mean you won't be returning to paid employment whilever you have the dog? Does it mean you won't be leaving the dog alone while you run errands, take the children to appointments or school, run them around to their activities?

I'm not trying to be overly-negative, but these are all things to consider for this breed. I've seen so many through rescues and shelters to know that the "average" person is not necessarily equipped to manage them and they flounder at the first hurdle. :mad

I've got three dogs...I work full time...my husband works full time AND he's away from time to time...they are all fine with being left. But I spent time teaching them to be OK while alone (alone training), they're kept indoors, we have two DAP diffusers on all the time, they have company (music and TV), and plenty of activities to keep them busy. But none of my dogs is a Husky...

LOL I can tell I have to sell myself here.

The husky appeals to me because I have grown to love them through my family who had one in America while I was little and now in Australia. They have a rescued husky but I wish to get ours from a puppy as I am interested in agility and its important to start the training young. I don't blame those of you who know the husky to talking down the breed because they do have there bad sides. Yes they jump and dig and love to run (or run away if they are lonely and can make the opportinity) and have no sense of direction (so if they get out they might be 100K away by the time they are found and never back at your front door!)

But if you know the husky well they are worth the effort. I could never pick another breed and I have found them very affectionate and great with kids. I don't know why you are worried there.

When a couple has a baby, their time is severely restricted

Yes I am worried about that and that is the main reason I wish to get one now before the baby comes. so husky is at least through puppy school and maybe 12 months before the baby. I won't be going back to work after the baby. I will be giving music tuition from home eventually.

Hi Kifava, huskies are definitely worth it they are beautiful dogs they really aren't hard work at all it's mainly having a lifestyle that is suited to a owning a husky, we can live with the digging we are happy to have no garden,we have holes in the yard you can always fill them in :thumbsup: and the massive amount of coat the drop twice a year but the good FAR out way the bad. you have your heart set on a husky and you are wise too wait until your lifestyle works with a husky you won't regret it they are great with kids and you will enjoy every moment with a sibe, good luck for the future I hope when the time comes you can find yourself a beautiful puppy :thumbsup: just a little advice (you may already know this) make sure sire & dam have been hip scored and have had their eyes tested and ask to see the certificates all good breeders do these tests before breeding and if possible see if you can meet the sire/dam and see what their temperaments are like huskies are friendly and a good temperament is VERY important!!

Cheers,

Hello, I work full time and have a 10 week old border collie pup. It is my third border and I have always worked full time. I took a week off work for the first week and the second week I left work early. Pup is outside in the garden. He does have my older border for company and is having fun playing with the kitten!

With the 3 feeds I do a morning feed, a feed at around 6.00pm and then one when I go to bed.

I don't think any breed of dog is happy by itself and personally would always have 2 dogs.

Goodluck!

just thought i'd add my 2c worth. My wife and I are both away from the house for 8+hours a day working, and then some nights most of the evenings. We spend as much time as we can with our dogs, and look forward to weekends etc. Mind you we were concerned about the time we are away which sort of lead us into the decision to get a second dog. For us, i really believe two dogs has worked well. We have a GSP and a dalmatian, both like to run around aimlessly, dig, jump, roll .... they do it together, and I can see Eddie (my older GSP) happier when i get home.