Crate Training

~Sasha~

I posted in the training section. I hope its ok if I post here as well.

Hi we have just brought home our new pup.

My OH want s her to be outside during the night. He has built a great kennel for her. But some parts of the night she would rather sit at the back door step and cries. Which I understand she wants to be with us :confused: Is there a way to encourage her to stay in her kennel.

Another question. Is it possible to be able to crate train her for during the day. Or is it too confusing for her being outside at night and partly inside during the day.

Training dogs is a very new thing for me. By the way if I had my own way she would be inside during the night.

I was thinking of getting this crate. Or is it easily damaged. She loves to chew :confused:

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.p...65a146c3130401a

TIA

Edited by ~Sasha~

My OH want s her to be outside during the night. He has built a great kennel for her. But some parts of the night she would rather sit at the back door step and cries. Which I understand she wants to be with us Is there a way to encourage her to stay in her kennel.

Dogs like to be near their owners, so if outside would prefer to sleep in the rain on your doorstep than in their luxury kennels :confused: I'm not sure how to keep her in her kennel, if it's portable you could set it up outside the door and move it further away over time?? When my first pup was outside she was in a locked crate overnight under a roof with tarps to keep the rain out. She was fine with that.

In my experience, dogs feel more secure in a smaller area. Bruno, for example, sometimes has trouble going to sleep in the laundry and when I move him to his locked crate (safe from burglars) he goes to sleep. He also feels less at ease in the pen which is larger than the laundry.

Another question. Is it possible to be able to crate train her for during the day. Or is it too confusing for her being outside at night and partly inside during the day.

My both sleep inside at night - big one in laundry with a dog/baby gate, little one in laundry or crate. They have no problems with switching from one to the other. I also have an outdoor pen and kennel and both dogs are comfortable in there as well. Just gotta make all the experiences happy.

I don't know about crate training inside during the day and outside at night. I would reverse those two.

I come from a family with outside dogs and, as my dog loving friends predicted, my dogs are spending more and more time inside with me :confused: .

Re the crate, I have a chew proof metal one, not sure how the sofkrate would go as haven't tried one.

Have fun!

Edited by BellasPerson

Dogs usually cope fine with a combination of inside/outside time - our two dogs (6 year old adult and 5 month old pup) spend all day outside in the yard while we are at work, they are inside with us a lot of the time when we are home and both sleep inside in our family room, pup sleeps in a crate with a pen attached and our older girl has one of those hessian beds with the metal frame (with lots of comfy bedding of course!).

I wouldn't recommend getting a soft crate for a puppy, especially if she loves to chew, it would be wrecked in a pretty short period of time I would think :confused: The wire/metal crates are great, we also have one for the back of our station wagon for pup to travel in (to avoid him getting squashed by his hyperactive big sister!).

Thanks for the advice.

I'm sure we will work things out as time goes on:)

BellasPerson I agree with her wanting to be in the rain closer to us than in the kennel. :confused: The Kennel is actually closer to our living area but far from the back door.

She is such a beautiful girl.

Sounds like your enjoying your puppy!

You will sort it all out. It is all trial and error, and just like having a baby, everyone has an opinion on what you should be doing :rolleyes: so just do what you feel is right.

I wanna see more pictures!!

Last night OH sort of caved in and we put Chloe in the bathroom. The Laundry isn't an option for us because its too small. I think she was more upset in the bathroom.

Well she ended u p on her rug beside me in the bedroom. We had a great night sleep just had to take her out a few times. Even slept in until about 7:00. :)

Glad to see that the Chloe ended up sleeping in closer. She will learn to sleep in the bathroom fine.

Bella and Bruno both cried the first few nights in the laundry, I fed them in there during the day and they settled in fine after a few days. I still remember the racket Bella made on her first night :)

I did buy bruno a soft sided basket (fully machine washable, about $40) which he loves to death and helped him to settle in the laundry. Dogs in nature dig themselves a hollow which is protected on three sides as a defence again attacks (this is my very layman interpretation). I found this instinct makes them crave small spaces and is probably why they love crates so much. Have a play around with bedding and location in the bathroom to see if you can find what makes Chloe comfortable and safe. I also have a dog gate on the laundry so the dogs can have their share of the heating and so they can see me. This was a big hit although I did get Bella to sleep with a closed door in the laundry when I first got her, it was summer and she didn't need the heating then :eek:

My dogs have beautiful amber eyes, what about Chloe?

Edited by BellasPerson

Crate inside during the night, outside during the day (or inside but not crated during the day).

I don't see the point of bringing a dog inside only to be crated and then taken back outside rather than be allowed to wander and join the family.

I only really want to crate her inside when I cannot supervise her 100% and don't want to put her outside. Another option I might do is have a baby gate in the kitchen door. I have just read all the good things about crating and how dogs love it so I though it would be a good idea.

Chloe is sleeping inside at night now too.

Crating or gating inside is a great solution when it's too cold/yukky to be outside. Puppies can get into a lot of trouble in 3 minutes with you not paying full attention as I have found out :rofl:

If your kitchen has 1 door than gating is heaps cheaper than buying a crate. A crate, on the other hand, is more flexible and can be used in any room, on holidays or outside.