Dogs With Diabetes?

Hi Deanne

I’m adding my comments as someone who has been an insulin dependent diabetic for over 40 years and someone whose elderly cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year. I also have a dog who has allergies and is on fortnightly desensitising injections. Hence, I’ve had a lot of practice sticking needles in. :rofl:

From personal experience, most times it actually doesn’t hurt when the needle goes in. It only hurts if I hit a small blood capillary or if I hit a nerve. (I’d imagine it would be a bit the same for the dogs.)

You mentioned that Baxter has felt the insulin going in on one or two occasions. The insulin from the fridge is at a much lower temperature than his body, so, believe me, it stings like all heck! :dropjaw:

What I do is once I have drawn the insulin in to the syringe I hold the syringe in my hand for a couple of minutes. This actually brings the insulin up to my body temperature and it doesn’t sting when I inject. I did the same for my cat (who passed away at Christmas as his kidneys finally went) and also for my boy on his desensitising injections. Actually I didn’t hold his long enough to warm it properly on Monday and he flinched for the first time.

The more often you give Baxter the injections the more confident you’ll become. Believe me, I have no problem sticking a needle in to me, but I hate having to do it to my fur-kids.

Just keep following your vet’s advice and checking that Baxter’s sugar levels don’t get too high, nor get too low. At times low sugar levels can be more dangerous than high.

Diabetes and a lowered immune system generally go hand in hand, so Baxlse is right, you are more susceptible to infections and are slow to heal. The main thing is to try and keep Baxter’s overall health good.

Hoping everything works out well with him – and we’d love a pic!

Hi,

This is the artist formally known as Deanne... LOL! I am now posting under this name.

My grandmother is a diabetic but she takes tablets to control it.

I think you are right about warming the insulin prior to injection. I have started doing that recently and it seems to be working. Baxtar has a tendancy to wiggle about quite a bit when he knows the needle is coming.

I have been going into the vets in the morning for his morning shot - I administer the shot while they watch and guide me. They give me advice, answer my questions and basically supervise the entire thing.

At night the vet is not open but I have a nurse (a human nurse not a vet nurse) who is a friend come over to supervise me at night. Once again, I administer the shot she just gives me advice on holding the needle, etc and answers my questions and guides me.

Baxtar seems to be getting used to his injections a little. I tend to give him a treat when it is done so he can hopefully attribute it to the injection and it will not be such a negative thing. I have been getting better when it comes to my injection technique but I would have been lost if I did not have the support I have.

I realise I have to give Baxtar the shot and have been doing so for a while now, it is his life saver. I just find sometimes I need support and guidance. I had never given a needle prior to this and was actually very afraid of needles. I have slowly been getting over my phobia.

Thank you to all of you for posting your advice. Thank you especially nobody. I suppose over time I will get more comfortable with administering the insulin.

In regards to the diet I am feeding Baxtar I have changed his diet to meet his needs. He does not snack between his two meals a day (meals are given 30 minutes prior to injection) and am feeding him a mixture of brown rice, mixed vegetables (peas, beans, broccoli, carrots, corn) as well as cooked chicken breast or heart smart red meat. Sometimes I mix up some low fat cottage cheese in with it also. I have been given exact amounts of what combination of these things to feed him by people who know the ins and outs of diabetes in dogs. There are strict feeding rules to go by when it comes to the amounts of certain things to feed him when making a meal (I have not mentioned them here as this post is long enough) but I have mentioned most/some of the ingredients. It seems not many here have dogs with diabetes so I will not bother getting too technical. If any of you in the future do find your dog has been diagnosed with diabetes I can certainly provide you with a detailed description of meal make up (amounts) of what and how much of what to feed him and when. It is best to alternate. I have been taking the advice of nutritionists.

Once again, if any of you find your dog has been diagnosed with diabetes I can certainly provide you with diet make up and alternations (as given by nutritionists and people who deal with canine diabetes). Just send me a PM and I am more than happy to share my information with you.

Regards,

Deanne.

Edited by Baxtar

Hi Deanne

Thanks for the pics. He is such a lovely boy!

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned to you, but oranges are really good to practice on. Practice holding the needle in the correct position and sticking it in to the orange, drawing back, etc. Best oranges to use a juicy ones so you can pinch them a bit... Yes, I know it sounds slightly nuts, but that's how I learnt. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem I have is that I've got small hands and trying to hold the needle in one hand, draw back and then push forward when your injecting 70ml in to your dog is not easy. At least he usually stands still.

Wishing Baxter all the very best. ;)

Hi Nobody,

Thank you for the compliments in regards to Baxtar. ;)

Yes, I did initially practice on oranges. Oranges don't wiggle about though - LOL!!

The vet told me to practice on oranges and my friend (the human nurse) would also practice on oranges years ago when she was at University. She currently works at a local hospital here and finds it a little difficult giving needles to children rather than adults because they also wiggle around.

Thank you for your kind words.

I hope things get a little easier for yourself in regards to administering the insulin.

Warm regards,

Deanne.

P.S. My friend does not mind supervising me in these early days, she is a very understanding and supportive woman. I appreciate her guidance and support, without it I would be a nervous wreck! She doesn't have far to travel to give me the support I need... she lives across the road from me! :thumbsup: In time I know I will be able to manage alone, just in these early days I truly appreciate the supervision and support.

Edited by Baxtar

• 2 months later...

:) Hello, I have a poodle who is blind, diabetic and in hot weather, incontinent. Daisy is nearly 12 and is a joyful old girl with the nickname of "Crash" for obvious reasons. She loves to play, be carried around on her back with her legs in the air and is addicted to gardening.

I absolutely hated giving her her twice daily injections at first but eventually got used to doing it. I have become better at it I must admit and I always warm the syringe in my hand or like a rose between my teeth before I inject Daisy. She has been a diabetic for 4 and a half years and has been blind for 4 years.

The incontinence is treated with of all things, sudafed and completely solves the problem. Caninsulin for the diabetes.

It is difficult to go away without her as she pines and frets so much if she isn't with us that she loses weight and is usually sick when we come home but, that I guess is the price we pay for the absolute pleasure of her company.

I hope that Baxtar and all of the other "kids " on this forum are as easy to manage and as much fun as our baby girl, regards Doggles

Edited by doggles