Puppy Laying Down On The Job

bret

just wondering, i used to have a jack russel X chiwawa (no i can't spell) x something else, and she became a real sook, when you went near her she instantly flipped on her back for a belly rub,

maiya, my now 9 week old border collie, is starting to do the same thing, and i don't want this to happen. not that i mind giving her a belly rub, because hey doesn't everyone like a belly rub now and then? but i don't want her to instantly go on her back when anyone approaches.

also, i know previously i asked if sleeping so much was a problem, i am just wondering, i spend as much time as i can with maiya, but she seems to be getting a little distant. sometimes she comes on first command, other times she just wants to ignore me. maybe its just the age of her and she is still adjusting to life.

further to another post i had put up, we are trying to separate the sisters as much as possible, is 10-15 minutes with me playing and learning, 3 times a day minimun, enough time apart from her sister? or does she need more

thanks

bret

Hi Bret :rofl:

Reward what you want to happen :bottom: Don't rub her belly when you go up to her/near her. She now thinks this is what is required of her :rofl: Just ignore the behaviour and praise her when she greets you with a nose or a paw or comes up to you :rofl: (Note that at the moment, you are coming up to her and giving her a rub - she doesn't even have to move! :rofl:) Maybe to start her off, even treat her when she comes to you rather than vice versa!

Any time you spend with the separately is good for them ;) Make sure they get "alone" time away from eachother and you :rofl: If one has to go to the vet or away somewhere for a period of time, you are just setting up separation anxiety for all of you if they don't get their own alone time as well :o

Sounds like you are doing a great job :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

:rainbowbridge: Your border is showing submissive signs to you. T-time is right. you reward to behaviours you do want, not the ones you don't~!~

When you call her, keep a pleasant but firm tone in your voice, an passive demeanor when you call her ( it's about confidence)

Keep your hands at your side, as she may try to jump to reach you.

The minute she approaches, Just before starting to roll, than praise her madly, make a huge fuss.[/color

But only make a loud fuss, when she's in the standing or sitting position

If she drops to the roll position (ignore unwanted behaviour)

Back Up, and a simple clear no~!~

And call her to you again,

Than prior to the rolling praise like mad. (

She will associate the pleasing you, with this behaviour of standing when greeting etc.

Just remember build her confidence and show her the right behaviours. ( just do the behaviour repetitvely and with patience, you'll see)

Love to hear how it goes,

:cry:

jls