Dogs In Units / Apartments

BT-Argo

Hi,

Someone mentioned that there dogs go to the toilet on the balcony when they arnt home. Does that mean there's a doggy door in the door leading out to the balcony? Or the balcony door gets left open? That's so interesting. The thought of having a dog in an apartment has never crossed my mind:)

Gee, we sound a lot alike in our thinking.

I also always think of all the dogs that live in apts in NYC and in Europe. Because property is so expensive here, people and families are living in apts and pets are a part of families. Neighbours who have not coped with pets in apt buildings before will have to accept this, eventually.

Yep, we come from Europe and hardly anyone has the luxury of having a big back yard. They take their dogs at least 2/day for walks, on the weekends its running at the nearby field and they get along fine, with kids and pets in apartments, which although have balconies are not huge. My dad is of opinion that dogs need space BUT, we have huge back yard and I harly ever see my dog zooming in the backyard all by himself. Usually all the runing happens when we are at home.

Yes, its more ideal situation to have big back yard, but your dog primarily needs you love. You take them for a run in the morning, they will sleep most of the day anyway until you go back home.

Hi,

Someone mentioned that there dogs go to the toilet on the balcony when they arnt home. Does that mean there's a doggy door in the door leading out to the balcony? Or the balcony door gets left open? That's so interesting. The thought of having a dog in an apartment has never crossed my mind:)

Yes you leave the balcony door open, but most dogs will wait to go outside, if you time it right. Still, many people do it just in case.

The thought of having a dog in an apartment has never crossed my mind:)

Oh, yes, that is because you live in an amazing country, where there is no need to live in apt unless you want to. Most densly populated places in the world have dogs in apts.

Edited by Skipy

When we were in our unit we bought a special dog door and panel that sits in the recess of the sliding door and is udjustable to most heights. It then bolts into the door so your unit is still secure but your dog can get out. That way you don't have to cut into the door or wall and the best part is that you can take it with you when you leave!!!

If you want the website PM me.

Mel