Dogs In Units / Apartments

BT-Argo

Do you mean a unit/apartment in a block, ie no yard space at all ect?

We live in a unit with a smallish back yard but it's basically a house on a subdivided block so no real difference to being in a "normal" house on a small block

Edited by shoemonster

I am in a unit with a small back yard, dogs are outside with access to the garage (only shelter out there) during the day - night time or when i am home, they are inside with me and the cats

We all cope fine, just remember in a strata there are rules you have to follow, if you are thinking of getting a dog please write to the comittie before you go out and get one!!

Yep we are in a unit and have a small garden. We have an English Springer Spaniel...which are extremely active. He gets walked twice a day. He is at home outside during the day when we are at work but is inside with us when we are home.

As long as you take your dog out for walks you will find its not a drama at all :offtopic:

I had my Ridgeback in a small unit (no yard) successfully.

I'd take her out for long walks twice a day, and when I could, arrange for a neighbour (who all loved her), to look after her during the day so she didn't get bored out of her tree.

If the weather was suckful, I trained her to walk on a treadmil (only ever slow walk speed and under constant supervision) and she loved it!

And, when I could, I'd take her with me wherever I was going.

Hi Springergirl!

love your puppy photo! Thanks for the reply... Can i ask how long does yor dog stay at home alone during the day when your at work? how do you keep him occupied?

as for body corporate i have approval and have printed my emails as evidence of the approval etc!

My 2 are outside in their run which includes the laundry while we are at work every day, which is about 9 hours

While we are home they are inside and they prefer it inside anyway (they have a doggy door to ther run, but only go out to go to the loo)

I live in a one bedroom apartment with no backyard (unless you count the tiny balcony :offtopic: ) and i have two dogs. Both are of toy group and they adjust really well. They sleep in the bedroom with me, toilet trained in the toilet, fed in the kitchen and go crazy in the living room. So far so good as they are trained not to bark often or loud. So no complain from the neighbour. Luckily there is a giant part across the street so i sometimes take them there to play but for excercise, just a stroll around the block satisfy them. :cry:

toilet trained in the toilet

H3113n, do you mean they use the toilet ?? or are they paper trained and use the toilet room.

had visions of a dog sitting on the loo reading a magazine, :offtopic:

Lol no no i have a corner of the toilet lined with papers. But i saw once that somebody sucessfully trained a cat to use the toilet and can flush. How wonderful is that? Sounds like the dog from Meet the fockers and Bruce allmighty... :cry:

Hi Springergirl!

love your puppy photo! Thanks for the reply... Can i ask how long does yor dog stay at home alone during the day when your at work? how do you keep him occupied?

as for body corporate i have approval and have printed my emails as evidence of the approval etc!

No probs Curious :laugh:

Max is home alone for about 8 hours. We have toys for him and give him a marrow bone a few times a week. I think he is just used to the fact that we are out during the day. From what I can gather he sleeps a fair whack during the day and plays with his toys (from what the neighbour has told me)

What breed are you looking at getting?

Hi There,

We have just moved but I had two dogs both poodle crosses in a two bedroom with a Balcony. They were toilet trained to go on a wee pad on the balcony and they were walked twice a day. I was lucky enough to be able to go home at lunch time as well.

My pups were fine in the unit! When I was at work they had the run of the living room and balcony with lots of toys!! ;))

As long as pups are walked enough they will be perfectly content living in a unit!!

We just moved on the weekend to a house with a yard and all the pups want to do is get inside!!! I got the big yard for them!! :rolleyes:

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Curious,

I was in this same quandrum a while back. Was looking into getting a dog and came on here asking questions about dogs in apartments, particular breeds, barking, etc.

We own our apt and also have approval.

I heard all of the good points and the bad points. I heard that greys were good, and having met greys, I tend to think that they are a good dog, no make that a GREAT dog.

I think you really need to think it through. Do you plan to stay in your apt for a while? If there are problems where do you 'sit' about rehoming the dog, if you need to?

My personal decision was to hold off and not get a dog. But that was my decision, everyone has their own decision's to make.

Hi Becky

Well I have decided to hold off and its now been 3 years since ive been living in my apartment. I live directly across from a park which is very dog friendly. I spend most weekends in the park and have made a few contacts one in particular a woman who also lives in apartment and also has a poodle which is the dog i would like.

I always think about getting a dog still and have gone to a few dog shows in the past year. Some people tell me to get a cat but thats no consideration or solution for me as i have no desire to own a cat. A cat and dog are no comparison.

Will i move? not at this point thinking about it in 2 years or so.

If i were to get a dog and had to rehome him i would not want that but my parents would most likely take him and that way i would have him on the weekends... again not the answer hence i have held off

Truth be known i will always have to work and there will be a stage maybe in 5 so years when i will get one as my priorities change.. which they have already started. Work is not the be all and end all just a means to surviving!

have a good weekend

Curious!

Gee, we sound a lot alike in our thinking.

I also always think of all the dogs that live in apts in NYC and in Europe. Because property is so expensive here, people and families are living in apts and pets are a part of families. Neighbours who have not coped with pets in apt buildings before will have to accept this, eventually.

Look, if you have thought it through and you know this is what you want to do, then do it. Two years could turn into 5 yrs or only be 1 1/2 yrs. In the meantime, you have gone about this correctly, you have sought approval and you're asking a lot of the questions to many of the right people. Sounds to me like you are already a responsible dog owner.