Re-establishing Focus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Erny education is the key education of instructors trainers and the general public. you can never know enough and noone knows it all.

And the more you learn, the more you learn there is so much more to learn. :laugh:

I admire your passion about your work thats great maybe you should start on a bachelor of behavioural science ...

Now there's a thought. ;)

... or look into courses like training and workplace assessment to enhance your skills while you wait for more courses aimed and dog trainers .

You mean like "Workplace Certificate IV"? Done that. Now lecture on certain dog related topics.

Give me the dogs but leave th howners at home and im happy heheh

This is my most favourite passion, I must admit. But I do get a big buzz out of helping people re-unite or re-harmonise with their dogs, as well as achieve the joy of progressive success.

One thing would love to see is the VCA start taking on a much more eductaive role for club instructrs the so called course they have is useless at present I would also like to see clubs maybe start helping send instructors to formal courses and seminars to further their knowledge

Effectively, that's what the NDTF course does. IMO, anything less than what it teaches is inadequate to achieve a good, all round knowledge of dogs, dog behaviour and dog training techniques. All of which knowledge is necessary to be able to deal with many walks of behaviour and behaviour problems.

Edited by Erny

I am happy to report that obedience went very well yesterday.

Haven has given me a few new techniques to use in regards to regaining focus which I will be applying throughout the week this week before our next class on Thursday. So we shall see what happens.

Thanks again for your help Haven and HR - didnt see you there what happened?

I am happy to report that obedience went very well yesterday. Haven has given me a few new techniques to use in regards to regaining focus which I will be applying throughout the week this week before our next class on Thursday.

Good to hear, Raven and good work, Haven. :rainbowbridge:

I'll look forward to hearing the outcome in relation to your training progress, Raven.

Edited by Erny

Hi Raven,

Glad to hear things went well, (I was confident they would). I was organising my dog and another one for a movie that will be made for the ABC and I was doing a tracking lesson with one of the NDTF student so I appologise for not catching up with you but I will try and catch you next Thursday.

HR

I am happy to report that obedience went very well yesterday. Haven has given me a few new techniques to use in regards to regaining focus which I will be applying throughout the week this week before our next class on Thursday.

Good to hear, Raven and good work, Haven. :rainbowbridge:

I'll look forward to hearing the outcome in relation to your training progress, Raven.

Over the coming weeks I am hoping for an improvement in focus from him to the point he actually keeps his eye on me at all times. Then the next task is getting him to heel at the same pace I set. Granted Bullmastiffs do tend to "plod" but I know he can keep up however at this moment I will work on one thing at a time and I will keep everyone posted on how he does.

Ravensmyst00,

I have a 3 year old rotty (a plodder) who, in drop stays basically has a nap. It can be hard to motivate him even though he LOVES going to school.

So whilst training I often change my walk so I talk smaller fast steps, then longer steps and then more arm movement to keep him motivated.

I also reward him at different times, not always right after he has done what was asked of him. And if he is really de-motivated, I will get him to step away from class very quickly and do something different to the others.

Just some ideas :rainbowbridge:

Edited by grotty_rotty

heres a question how long do yu think it takes to have realy good focus that holds u under big distractions

Ummm .... unless I'm misinterpreting your question, CC, I think that's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string". It would depend on the dog you're working with. Some have a very natural attentiveness, whilst others are more persuaded by the distractions around them. It would, of course, also depend on the quality and style of the dog's training.

I'd also have t ask ... are you talking ONLY about a dog that is trained as a pup right from get go, or are you asking about ANY dog, even if good training begins somewhat later in life (which is the majority of my experiences, given the work that I do).

Edited by Erny

Xander did really well in the ring on Saturday. He moved well and we even got focus a few more times than usual.

I am happy to say he also got his title on Saturday as well. Granted only a CC win but still he got his title so he was spoilt rotten for the rest of the weekend.

As of tonight we are back to training. He looks at me like I'm an idiot when I praise him for looking at me but he seems to be looking at me more so I dont mind his looks of "mum are you feeling okay because all I did was look at you and you started acting all silly! "

Will keep everyone updated on his progress.

Jean

eta - fixed grammer issues

Edited by ravensmyst00

Well done Jean. Sometimes a momentary setback can help to evaluate your program and establish clearer guidlines.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

There are days HR where one would prefer to curl up in a corner and give up but after last weekend - I think I can keep going forward.