New Teeth Coming Through

Jaida Kisses

Hi,

Could someone please tell me if this is normal? My 5 1/2 month old cav pup has his new canine teeth (think thats what they are called - the long sharp ones lol) coming through. However his baby ones are still there, the new teeth are almost as long as they are, the baby ones are not loose at all. I didnt really notice my other dog's teeth falling out only her back ones and I'm just not sure whether I need to get him looked at by the vet...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks :rofl: JK

23rdmay06011.jpg

Yes Jaida Kisses, it is time to go to the vet.

If the baby teeth are not loose than they are unlikely to fall out themselves. You can try bones or some sort of chew toy but I don't think it will make much difference. We have just had our pup's baby teeth taken out after trying everything we could first. He was fine and seemed to be happy they were out, although in his case he had retained a couple of back teeth (which were causing him some pain) as well as 3 canines.

We have never had this problem before either that is why we tried all the bones and chew toy's, but when the teeth were taken out the roots were quite long.

What a sweetie! Our cav boy had the same thing. I was aware of it but not too worried about it. I took him to the vet to get desexed and when I went to pick him up afterwards the vet said he had had a look at his teeth and removed the baby ones. I was fine with that:)

post-11278-1153562640_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of your replies guys, much appreciated!! I called the vet this morning and they said to wait until he is 6 months and the new teeth have come down and then take him in if they are stiil there... I will try with the bones and chew toys but I have a feeling they will have to be taken out.

dogsrule - he is gorgeous but oh SO naughty! l would'nt trade him though he's my little chunky boy hehe..

cavmad - your boy looks so happy look at that face!. Lucky you getting the teeth fixed at the same time, I'm not looking forward to the dentist bill hehe...

thanks again everyone!

JK

Edited by Jaida Kisses

Thanks for all of your replies guys, much appreciated!! I called the vet this morning and they said to wait until he is 6 months and the new teeth have come down and then take him in if they are stiil there...

My advice would be to go to another vet... more than a week with both adult and baby canines can result in warping of the position of the adult teeth. My oldest dog's mouth is a case in point because I knew no better at the time.

My vet's advice is more than a week of overlap - remove them. :D