How Do I Keep My Dog Off Of The Kitchen Table! And How Do You Disc

K9, what other things do you think might have sent him up there? No food on table, only a house plan and tablecloth...first time he's ever done it...although he has hopped up on the desk in the garage and 'grinned' at me as I came around the corner and nearly fainted :thumbsup: - wasn't expecting to see a GSP at eye level....

K9: if your dog thought there was something up there, if your dog thought it might get your attention, or possibly wanted to get up near your face, same motivation is jumping up...

Your reaction to the getting on the table could have reinforced it...

Dogs can experiment too..

Excuse my total ignorance but what is this magic mat?

My dogs dont counter surf, I have seen them sniffing the edges when the chicken is there, Divani ate a rollmops :thumbsup: of my plate once but I in general dont have the prob, hence never investigated any solutions.

Pls tell me what a mat is?

K9: if your dog thought there was something up there, if your dog thought it might get your attention, or possibly wanted to get up near your face, same motivation is jumping up...

Your reaction to the getting on the table could have reinforced it...

Dogs can experiment too..

OK, I think it was the getting attention as we were in the kitchen and he was in the dining room about 12' away from us....and he does have a rather wicked sense of humour too :rofl: ...and it certainly got a reaction!! (I wished I had taken a photo - but I managed not to laugh, but it did look funny - a GSP on a dining tabel - I've seen cats, but this was ridiculous!) - however, tonight - for the first time in history, he came to me for his heartworm tablet !!!!!!

I taught James not to coffee table surf when he was just 9 weeks old. I taught him to sit and then scattered a little kibble on the coffee table toward the centre so he couldn't quite reach it. I asked for a sit and then rewarded him with a piece. I did this repeatedly over a few days until I had the entire coffee table covered in kibble and he did not even try to take it, he just planted his butt and looked at me.

That trick that I taught him in one week when he was a pup has definitely had lasting effects, he ALWAYS plants his butt at food time and he has not coffee table surfed again, nor has he ever counter surfed.

Hope that helps a bit :rofl:

Alternatively, I have heard of people putting a sheet of cardboard on the counter so that it overhangs a bit, then when dog put his front paws on it it is unstable and bends a bit, giving him a bit of a spook. I haven't tried this and am not sure how effective it is.

Good luck.

Mornir

Unfortunately Kaos jumped on the coffee table and used it as a launching pad/trampoline to the couch by the time he was 9 weeks old! :)

But that is a good idea :rofl: and I might use it if I get a dog that doesn't have springs for legs at that age! (You gotta love Kelpies!)

Don't know if this will help, but when we took our Lab puppy to puppy pre-school they taught us to use the 'off' command. If he tried to bite or jump we used it, but it really worked wonders with food. We started off with a treat on our hand and would not let him take it until he was told to (we would say 'off'). When he was allowed to eat it, we'd say 'take it'. Ben caught on pretty quickly, because he is food obsessed and would do whatever it took to get a treat! We used it at breakfast and dinner time too and would make him sit and wait before he dove into his bowl. He is fantastic now. He knows the food rules and wouldn't dare to take anything off a plate, even if we tell him to, as he knows it's off limits. We can sit food right in front of his nose and he won't touch it until he is told to. Don't know whether it is too late to try this at 10 months, but it would be worth a go. Maybe if you establish some boundaries like this with food first and keep him out of the kitchen at the same time, then once he's got the hang of it, let him back in and start again from there.